Mk1 build - 16v turbo 4WD

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 8pots, Jan 5, 2011.

1. prof Forum Addict

it will with engine rock to some extent, depends on how stiff the mounts are

2. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

We have had to strengthen exhaust brackets and added a couple of diagonals from rear of cage to stiffen area where rear diff cradle is bolted to floor. Also doing some more strengthening of brackets near steering rack. Will get some more photos up soon.

3. possle Forum Member

that is awesome. did you fit the rear end or somebody for you? what sort of modifications are needed for. alot of work?

4. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

I had the rear end done by Ian Birch and latterly Jeff Webb. Ian did this on his twin engined van although with an engine and box in the subframe rather than just the diff in my case. It was alot of work to be honest. I am waiting for some more pictures of the additional bracing...looking good.

5. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

Things moving on much better now. All rear suspension finally fitted and Rose joints sorted out. Final diff in the rear fitted complete with peloquin diff. Brakes piped in. Master cylinders fitted. Dash in with stack cluster.

Just trying to get our heads round diff controller, drive shafts being made, engine been stripped and checked. We are going to run a Syvecs ecu this time which has necessitated new trigger disc and some messing with the dizzy.

Seats finally in, fire extinguisher done, battery repositioned and fuel pipes finished off.

6. benny Forum Member

You be getting it out this year then Michael, sounds pretty close? Any pics?

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Excellent build, nice to see a job well done!.

What engine management are you using?.

8. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

I am using a Syvecs ecu. It has loads of features, some of which I may use!! Some of the more useful are multiple maps,anti lag, launch and some good safety features.

9. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

More good progress this week. Got loads of photos on mobile but not sure how to get them onto here, computer is kaput!

Some jobs proving tricky like the handbrake. We had to get an Elise rear section to mount onto the calipers then make up a cable from the handle.

Other issues have bee to try to sort the wiring. Got 3 looms and many fuse boxes!
    Will try to figure photos.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

wow how have i not seen this? i love that tailgate inspired :thumbup:

wiring issues? maybe theres someone on here who can help... ;)

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That ECU seems to be very popular among the Subaru crowd, although for them it is a 'plug n play' affair.

12. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

It was using cosworth management before so only a few sensors need changing. Loom needs new plug, going to use coil packs and that is about it.

The problem with the loom is I had a hacked about standard loom which must have had a few different alarms and trackers and stuff on it. Then it was modified as I had a mk2 dash in and switches etc. I now have an in messed about with loom but a tt dash. I have decided running the tt switches was more trouble than it was worth. Instead we will use toggle switches for lights heated window and window demister.

One of the main Syvecs chaps lives near me so we will be able to sort Amy issues with the mapping.

The engine is going back in next week and Andy at AMT who built the engine is finishing the new tubular manifold to fit the gtx3076 turbo.

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dealing with previous bodges is a nightmare, fixed a few dodgy conversion looms in the past and its easier to start with 2 fresh looms from the beginning usually!

14. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

Bit of progress now. The final finishing off is being done at Motorsport Components in Bolton. They are also doing my V8 Westfield..seems odd seeing them beside each other.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

A mock fit of the dash

15. benny Forum Member

Very nice sir! Where are you planning for its first outing? Anywhere where it's not peeing down!? Let me know, I'll definitely be there. Greeny still needs it's first of the year!

16. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

Decided to fit the brake servos under the dash rather than spare wheel well are as some bracing to the rear diff area was in the way and we figured it would be better to reduce the length of the vacuum hoses to the servos.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Got the stack cluster in

[​IMG][/IMG]

Pipework in for fuel tank. It is running 2x 044 Bosch pumps in an internal collector in the tank and 2 dash 6 feeds to the fuel rail.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Another view of the tank with cross brace shown giving additional rigidity to the diff. Battery also relocated.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Additional dials fitted to the dash. A Stack lambda and SPA boost and EGT gauge. New switches fitted in to machined aluminium blanks in the dash.
    The one on the left is the internal pull for the extinguisher

17. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

Close up!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Brakes all plumbed in now. Had a bit of a nightmare with the handbrake as the calipers are Elise ones, an optional lightweight alloy caliper made by Eliseparts and now obsolete. They had 1 remaining handbrake cable left in stock. It links the 2 calipers then the standard golf one links it to the lever.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

I will get a better picture of the front wishbones as they have spherical bearings on them.

[​IMG][/IMG]

This is the start of the rear anti roll bar. Motorsport components again making this as nothing off the shelf available. It will be adjustable via drop links.

[​IMG][/IMG]

View of the exhaust. It is a 3" system that then "T's" off into 2x 2.25 back boxes mounted sideways where the petrol tank would normally go. I did not want side exit exhausts but due to rear wishbone assembly, a rear exhaust was nigh on impossible. The tailpipes are smallish and are not really visible.

[​IMG][/IMG]

This is the one going to the nearside. The prop is below the exhaust, again not ideal but no easy way round it.

19. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

Gear linkage now in.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Some of the wiring going in now and a neat heater. This will be vented to the window vents of the dash and the side vents. The windscreen is heated (group buy from here) so hopefully no steaming up!

Fuse box in. Loom is being simplified and rebound.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Master cylinders and reservoirs going in. Oil cooler fitted with cowling to hopefully get cool air from bonnet vent.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

[​IMG][/IMG]
    External extinguisher pull. Good way to fill a hole in rear quarter! Tank filled from near side now.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Engine finally in! Andy at AMT who has done all the engine work and the power stering conversion stripped the engine down again as it has been sat for about 2 years. Everything looked spot on and gave him the opportunity to change the crank trigger disc for one compatible with the Syvecs ECU. We also needed a cam sensor which we were hoping to mount on the cam cover and pick up on the cam pulley. Not to be unfortunately so he modified the distributer and that will now do it.

Wipers were a real pain so had to be mounted on the cross diagonal. Could not fit them any where else.

Also decided for the time being to use existing turbo set up (GT2540R), and get it mapped and use it this summer. Over the winter I will have a new manifold and fit the GTX3076.