Mk1 dash electrical problem - SORTED thanks RJ

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mitlom, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Right I'm at long last getting one of my Campaigns back together but seem to have an electrical gremlin...

As soon as I turn on the ignition the green indicator light comes on dimly, the water temp warning light flashes then shows dimly and the temp gauge goes right up off the top.

I have disconnected the spade connector to the water temp sender and gauge stays the same irresespective of whether it's connected or not [:s] My gut is telling me it may be an earthing issue but I have no idea where to start looking.

I have tried a spare dash I have and it's exactly the same....

I don't know if it's related or not but even when engine is gold oil temp on MFA is showing 148deg and external temp -30deg :o

I suspect RJ is the man to answer this question, but if anyone else can offer any advice it would be graciously welcomed :thumbup:

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a look for the dash earth to start with, its the brown/white wire and goes to the side of the head somewhere. it connects to a spade behind the dashboard, you could just earth the wire direct here if you want :)

3. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi RJ,

Cheers for the reply.....as it happens I re-made the connection to the head so I'm pretty certain that end is good, so are you saying there it a junction somewhere behind the dash rather than this wire going straight in to the multiplug on the dash itself? I guess I need to start doing a continuity test working back from dash to find where the issue is?

Cheers,

Tim

4. rubjonny

jup just behind fusebox is a spade connection, 1 end runs off to dash direct the other goes to the ring terminal on head :)

5. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

So I guess it could also be a poor body earth from battery in that case as well?

6. rubjonny

yeah the engine needs a good earth, the later ones have a braided earth from rocker to one of the coil mounting bolts, some have found that sorts dash issues when fitted

7. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I'll try and take a look this evening and let you know.

Ta

8. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi RJ,

I have tested continuity on the dash earth wiring and everything seems to be OK....just to make sure I ran a wire direct from the negative terminal of the battery to the terminal on the dash multiplug and no difference whatsoever [:s]

Any suggestions as where to try next?

Not sure if it is in anyway related but I have also noticed that the indicators do not work when I use the indicator stalk but they all work when I flick the hazard switch......I have swapped out the hazard switch and flasher relay with known good items from my track car and still exactly the same. I have not changed out the indicator stalk, but I believe this may be working as with ignition switched off the parking lights are being illuminated on the appropriate sides when stalk is engaged.

Cheers,

Tim

9. rubjonny

ok next id be checking the rest of the earths, if you look at the claw above the fusebox make sure its clean and all the earths are secure. there should be an earth to this from the main earth junction block on the lighting loom from the battery so check that is in place. finally on the lighting loom there is a main earth for the fusebox and wipers which should also go to the main earth junction block on the lighting loom.

check the fuse for the indicators, #19 :)

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

Tim ... not sure if this helps but:

`jon` ... with reference to the picture below - the main earth junction block on the lighting loom from the battery

Is the combination of `browns` against the inner wing ? ... mine were joined (black tape area) by a large `crimp` in which the cables were loose so I put ring terminals on all of them and bolted all together. (I have issues getting all my headlights to operate !)

[​IMG]

11. rubjonny

no the terminal i refer to is behind the fusebox, its a white spade jumper block :)

12. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Cheers guys, I will be taking a look at this tomorrow or over the weekend and will see what I can find!

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

[:$] ... OK, thank you.

14. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

My plan is to take a look at this tomorrow. I was just looking at the Haynes wiring diagram and was wondering it there was an issue with the Voltage Stabilizer on the back of the dash module would this potentially cause an issue like this? I will check the output voltage on this in the morning as well.

Cheers,

Tim

15. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Right then I'm making some progress....I checked the earthing claw by the fuseboard and two of the spade terminals were loose, one being the main earth from the lighting loom. I tightened these and also replaced the blown indicator fuse [:$] I now have indicators and the dimly illuminated indicator warning light is not longer showing :thumbup:

I do however still have the issue with the water temp gauge in that when I turn ignition on the light flashes and the needle goes off the top of the gauge :thumbd:

UPDATE I have now found that this problem was being caused by a dodgy water level sensor. There are two yellow/red wires coming from terminal d29 on the fuseboard, one goes to the water temp sender and the other to a relay plate, when I removed the relay the temp gauge worked perfectly. I tried another relay and still had same problem so traced the other three wires from the relay and found that one went to the water level sensor, as I had a spare one in an old header tank I thought I'd try it and low and behold gauge dropped down to normal [:D]

James If you want me to take a pic of the lighting wiring loom earth junction RJ has mentioned let me know and I'll go take a pic for you ;)

RJ thanks for all your help as normal, you are a [:*:]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  16. rubjonny

thatsd the coolant level warning relay ifg its the one above the fusebox, it should be a #42 or 43. if not, then well thars ya prablam

17. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Yes it is a 42 I think, but the problem seems to have been the level sensor itself rather than the relay. All sorted now [:D]

Now on to the next bit ;)

18. rubjonny

sorted :)
    if you unplug relay dash temp still works btw, just level sensor is disabled :)

if the relay/socket looks corroded your level sensor is leaking thru the pins and water is working its way up the wire with cappillery action, common problem most of the CE1 looms I get in are like this

19. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Yes that's what I realized when I unplugged the relay, there does appear to be some corrosion, suspect the pins leaking is possibly why the sender has gone faulty? I'll have to keep my eye on it. Again cheers for your help :thumbup:

20. jamesa Forum Junkie

Found it, a black into white spade block as rj said ... thanks anyway :thumbup: