Mk1 dash electrical problem - SORTED thanks RJ

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mitlom, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi RJ it would appear that my problem is not completely sorted :( I just put the original clocks back in (as they show original mileage) and have found that the red water temp light is still flashing eventhough the temp gauge is reading normal [:s] Any suggestions?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

try changing the coolant temp sensor, if they fail in a certain way it'll do this. try unplugging the sensor and see if it stops the flashing at least. the level relay is still removed yes?

3. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Yep relay still removed :thumbup:

The light still flashes with water temp sensor unplugged [:s]

4. rubjonny

hmm, and the other set of clocks is ok? if so it looks liek the clocks are damaged. you can switch the speedo over to keep the mileage easily :)

5. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Yep the other set of clocks are OK. Yeah that was my thoughts as well.....I have another set of clocks in pieces, can just the temp gauge be swapped out and are the VDO and motometer temp gauges the same do you know?

6. rubjonny

if its the same basic shape of clocks yes it should be ok, while you're there look for damage to the circuit foils and make sure all the little nuts are on the back as some of them are the electrical contacts for the cluster parts :)

7. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

That was actually something I had already checked and no damage visable and all the brass nuts are where they should be...I assume there is some form of circuitry inside the actual fuel temp gauge to determine if the light should flash or not as it's an overtemp light from memory?

8. rubjonny

yeah plus a coolant level warning. im not sure how it knows the coolant is low rather than high temp as there is only 1 wire to the clocks!

9. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I have read somewhere it is something to do with the resistance being measured? If your coolant concentration is wrong it can apparently cause an inaccurate resistance across the terminals on the level sensor and illuminate the light.....not the issue here as I have the relay removed ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi thought I would just let you know this issue is now sorted, I swapped all but the speedo from one dash binacle to the other and proplem solved, issue was clearly being caused by a failed water temp module :thumbup:

11. rubjonny