Mk1 golf Power Steering

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mothy, May 24, 2005.

1. mothy Forum Member

my mk1 Golf Cabs just failed the MOT coz of the Power Steering & Steering Rack leakage. the garage wont touch it as its non standard parts & i dont know where the bits came from to make it power steering. I've also been told its unlikely to be the same steering rack as original.

Does anyone have power steering on their mk1 golf ? & can anyone tell mewhere to get the parts for it from ?

I've just been quotedfor a new reconditioned Power Steering Unit & Steering Rack- 480 the lot - bargain !

any help out there ?

2. mk1. Forum Junkie

tsr sells a kit for the mk1,it might be one of theres,any pics of your p/s setup?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Not sure if this is someone else with the same probs:

Clicky

Basically you need to get a part no, and let the guys ont he forum put their heads together.

4. mothy Forum Member

:)

cheers folks -i'll get it off this weekend & post it on - hopefully someone'll know !

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok, found some more information this evening from a bloke who's got a power-steered Cabrio up for sale at the moment.

According to him, and he seemed fairly knowledgeable, this steering kit was in some way endorsed by VW. It was supplied by a company with a name like 'Power Steering Conversions' in Hemel Hempstead but the car went into the VW dealer who arranged for it to be done. Cost was about 1,500 at the time.

He remembered the company was doing such kits for Motabilty requirements and seemed to think the rack was a * Ford * item. Bingo.

Anyway, quick search on the net revealed a company by the name of Steering Developments Limted in Hemel Hempstead.

I just happened to delve into a some info and, lo and behold, I had forgotten that some years ago (1996) I wrote into Honest John in the Daily Telegraph to take him up on some reference he made to power-steered Mk1 Golf Cabrios. He confirmed that the conversion was done by Steering Developments Limted but said it "may have used a Renault rack".

I then contacted them (in 1996) and they sent a price list over: 1,900 + VAT.

So there you have it [:D]

Best of luck. I will be interested in knowing how you get on ;)

Edited by: Chris Eyre

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Seriously thats a rediculous ammount of money [:^(]

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

These guys are Motabilty people. Not 100% sure how it works, but I think the government part-pay the bills of those requiring light steering, hand controls etc, hence prices go through the roof as suppliers cream off as much as they can. Call me a cynic...

Main thing though it that a new rack, or rack identity may be established by talking to them...

8. mothy Forum Member

so far - i took the car to a garage who refused to do any of the work - including not changing the gasket on the manifold in case they sheared the bolts off !! what a cop out.

i found a company in grenwich that are on the web www.grenwichcarparts.biz that would replace my PSU & rebuild the steering rack. 165 for PSU, + 4 hrs labour @ 60 per hour = 400 + VAT. so thats a start.. for anyone looking to put power steering on.

so i took the car to where i used to get all my works done (i've moved), & they have taken PSU off & Steering Rack & sent it for reconditioning, which should be a bit cheaper. I have asked them to get the part no.'s if there are any & will post them here, if not i'll just post some pic's of the offending items

i'm happy as i'll get to keep the mk1 with power steering which is rare as ..

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

:clap:

10. mothy Forum Member

does anyone recognise or can find out what this part no. is.

RI53A00 - its probably from a Nissan or Rover, but is attached to my Golf..

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So this is the power rack part no?

12. mothy Forum Member

its the part no. on the rack - can you help identify

i have a long story about this chris, but it can wait till tomorrow

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sure

What makes you think it is Nissan or Rover? Have you Googled it on the off chance? Cheers.

14. rubjonny

All the rumours I've heard so far point towards it being a Nissan rack :)

15. mothy Forum Member

any particular reason why you think this rubjonny ?

16. prof Forum Addict

seem to remember 800gallons mentioning a bluebird rack

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nissan rack rumours relate to the kit that TSR sell.

Yours is nothing to do with TSR - it originates with Power Steering Developments as per my posts above (unless TSR copied them... which I do not know... yet).

18. mothy Forum Member

the plot thickens - i've done to much work today & must go home.. i'll post all the info. i have tomoz, thanks for all ofyour help [:D]

the part no. didnt come up on google either.

19. rubjonny

No real solid evidence to back it up, like prof says just what people have said when discussions about MK1 steering racks come up!

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

BUT we're getting closer... Much more progress in the last 2 weeks that the last few years