Mk1 GTi, 17 year old and insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by gridgway, Mar 14, 2004.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

its a good, valid point.

the only way i'd disagree with it is if the young person in question had been competeing in motorpsort for years (be it proper karting or rallying) as they would be considerably more mature than the average 17 year old. nothing like running wheel to wheel with someone at 70mph to make you grow up. and thus, would be able to resist the peer pressure.

2. baz_mk_2 Forum Member

I can completely understand that, however with golfs, if she really loves the car (which wont be hard) and appreciates it, then like me she wont want to be completely looney behind the wheel ever!

I paid for my car from my own savings and im the one that gets mad when a tiny mark appears on it, theres no way im gonna harm my own car, or put it in that situation. I reckon go for it! let us know how you get on with the insurance.

Bz

3. Dietrich Forum Member

I've been driving a MK2 1.3 for 6 months, and am currently looking for a MK1 GTI. I think it was probably wise to get a 1.3 to start. Obviously 6 months is no time at all and there's a hell of a lot I haven't experienced (i.e. dealing with speed) but I think I've got the whole "WOAH LOOK AT ME I'M DRIVING" thing outta' my system.

Ultimately if you trust her, go for it. You'll almost certainly have to put her on your policy though. Tesco quoted me / my step dad 1040 for the year on a 1.8 16v GTI - I'm 18, been driving since September and have written off someone's car - he's 65, been driving since it was invented and never had a claim.

Tom

4. 45rugdub Forum Member

My mate bought a 16v Corrado as his first car when he passed his test last year, best he could get was 1200 TPFT, which was with Tesco's it was basicly the only company that would insure him. I found this a bit strange because when I phoned up to re-new my mk2 16v they said 1400 when I am 25 and been driving for 7 years. [:s] I am now with HIC for 380 TPFT. So you will be able to get her insured it just might cost a bit, and she's a girl so it should be cheaper.

5. baz_mk_2 Forum Member

1040 is pretty good, I wasnt able to get any quotes aprt from 3k own name on a 8v 3rd party!
    Was your quote 3rd party, you as a named driver? Mods?
    Cheers Mate
    bz

6. Admin Guest

Dex you have a way with words! and such a warm welcome to a new member!

17yr in a GTI= big bucks, no short cuts to getting some NCB behind ya.

7. Dietrich Forum Member

TPFT, named driver, not sure if no claims are on it or not.

Tom

8. greg s Forum Member

My advice would be to get her a runabout for building up the NCB and insure your own cars through CIS who offer very very reasonable "any driver" policies. That way she can drive the P1/Caterham/whatever else whenever she wants and bring her own insurance down at the same time. Be aware though that the cover for any driver is Third Party Only - meaning if your daughter is the last one "in control" of the car (locking the door I imagine) then it's not covered for fire or theft. Perhaps not ideal on a P1 so make sure you lock the door after she's driven it!