mk1 gti not starting

Discussion in '8-valve' started by pyrotechnix, Sep 17, 2008.

1. pyrotechnix Forum Member

a mate of mine has just got a mk1 golf that wont start..
    its a 1.6, 1981, and i have been informed that the fuel pump is shagged, apparantly the fuel dribbles from the metering head when the bolt is removed...
    could any one give me a lil run down of things to look for? i dont really know my way round a mk1, due to my mk2 pain and labour!!
    any info would be good and ways to test things too :)
    Cheers, Andy

2. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Get your mate to put up a picture of the fuel distributor with an arrow to which bolt he opened.

3. pyrotechnix Forum Member

it was the guy who sold him the car that took the bolt out so im not sure which one it was to be honest, at a guess he tried them all if thats any help? just out of interest what difference would it make?

4. SirGeekalot Forum Member

one of them is a fuel feed from the tank the others are feeds to the head. the ones to the head would dribble if the metering plate is sitting at its lowest level thus a minimum amount of fuel is being delivered.. the one in the middle should stream out cause its under pressure as its the main feed.. HTH

5. pyrotechnix Forum Member

i see, so pressing the pedal would move the plate i assume, giving more fuel? what else should i look for? i read summat about a pin that can get stuck?
    how do i test the injectors? also the distributor and coil would be usefull too.
    cheers

6. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Gently tapping in the middle of the metering unit can free this pin.

7. pyrotechnix Forum Member

taping with the bolt in or out? what is the pin for?

8. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Tapping without removing any bolt.

9. SirGeekalot Forum Member

no, the plate is moved by air flow when the engine is running. if you take the top off the metering head you can get access to the plate easily enough. pull it up gently and the fuel should come out faster from the 4 outer fuel pipes going to the head..

to test the injectors, pull the injectors out of the head, they'll take a good bit of tugging but should pull free. stick them in seperate equal sized lass jars. bridge the fuel relay with some wire and turn on the ignition (dont try to start it though, you'll only end up dying in a fireball) then pull the metering plate up for a measured period of time (say 30 secs) all the 4 jars should have the same amount of fuel in them. if they dont, try cleaning them with some injector cleaner, an ultrasonic bath, or a high pressure airline.

theres a proper howto guide on here or the mk1 owners club, i shall try and hoke it out for you..

10. SirGeekalot Forum Member

11. pyrotechnix Forum Member

wicked, cheers for that geez, its a good thread. we are looking at the car tomo so if no joy i will ask more questions, or i will be on fire from playing with the injectors!! haha!!
    cheers for all ya help guys
    andy

12. pyrotechnix Forum Member

been playing with the gti all day, replaced the fuel pump, and filter, new plugs and did an oil change just to be safe. also took out the old fuel and replaced with fresh fuel, and still no joy,
    there is fuel coming to the filter and at one point into the metering head. popped out the injectors and there was no fuel spraying... took the injectors off the line and still no fuel, so at a guess its not getting past the metering head.
    any ideas? where can i get a quality replacement if needed?
    cheers

13. Roadrat New Member

Just a thought ... have you tried a new injection (fuel pump ?)relay. If I remember correctly those old fuse boxes had a habit of burning out the fuel pump relay wires.

14. pyrotechnix Forum Member

not yet, the pump is priming and fuel is being pumped so im not sure that would make any difference... enlighten me if im wrong tho!

the "disc" under the air intake is closed,as in the up pos, is this right? also the pin moves freely on the underside of the fuel distributor part...
    all ideas welcome!! lol
    cheers

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pull the rubber boot off the top of the metering head, and pull all 4 inj and stick em in a jar, or preferably 4 jars of equal volume. jump the fuel pump relay so pump is running continuously, then grab the metal flap in the metering head and lift it up, all 4 inj should spray a fine mist of fuel, give it a few seconds then release the flap and check all 4 deliver an equal ammount of fuel. If no fuel comes out, the metering head is the likely suspect, and/or blocked fuel lines.
    The wur if faulty can make it difficult to start/run when cold also.

The metering head is bolted to the top of the air metering box with 3 screws undo them and lift it up, the pin underneath should be extended, and should go in smoothly though with some resistance due to fuel pressure, then re-extend smoothly.

Check the filler neck for rust, if it has any this is the likely cause of all your problems!

16. pyrotechnix Forum Member

ok, so there appears to be alot to check out here...
    i took all of the injectors out, tried t start and no fuel sprayed, also nothing in the lines or flowing from the metering head. checked fuel from filter and it flows from there, and at one point it seemed to go to the metering head as all 4 lines hissed as i undid the bolts..
    it has an audi 80 fuel pump atm, that works ok, but will it do the job properly?
    got a price on a new metering head... 600 quid!!! so must eliminate all other posibilities!! lol cheers
    andy

17. rubjonny

what engine/injection system did the audi 80 have?

18. pyrotechnix Forum Member

not a clue tbh, a mate of mine gave it to me to try. the old pump didnt work when tested, so fitted this one and it seemed to pump the fuel ok.

19. rubjonny

did it bolt straight on with the same fittings or did you have to mess about? basically I ask becasue it has to be a k-jet pump otherwise it wont supply enough fuel pressure to open the injectors :)

Mine also had the same fault which turned out to be a partially blocked fuel filter, fuel could get to the metering head but there wasnt enough pressure to open the injectors!

20. pyrotechnix Forum Member

oh... not good then... had to cut off a loop connector to fit it on the car. maybe i should sort out the proper pump etc... can i get a new loop connector thingy? and where?
    there are no blockages in the lines and all injectors are soaking, gettin cleaned.
    hope i can sort this out now... :/