mk1 gti not starting

Discussion in '8-valve' started by pyrotechnix, Sep 17, 2008.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you have a piccy I might have a random spare kicking about in my bits box!

2. pyrotechnix Forum Member

really, that would be great if ya did, i will get a few pix later cause we kept everything we took off.. just gotta find it!! lol
    cheers

3. pyrotechnix Forum Member

right, have just ordered a new fuel pump for it, the correct one! will be fitting on sat or sun... fingers crossed

having looked around, every thread or info i read on the k-ket say about lifling the "flap" up to make fuel spray... this one is already up (closed), and can only be pushed down (opened), so now im confused... should i have to push or pull? lol

WUR also seems to be a common issue, and the 5th injector, so just wanderin of the best way to check these out too?

cheers
    andy

4. rubjonny

it only moves down in case of a back fire, it should lift up to meter the fuel. imagine how it would move if air was beiung sucked past it by the engine ;)

5. pyrotechnix Forum Member

well thats what i thought, lookin at it seems illogical for it to be closed....
    so what do i do about this? i wanna give the car the best chance of startin as possible!
    i have a spare if that would help? lol

andy

6. rubjonny

First thing to do once the pump is connected, turn the key 1 click to prime the pump several times to get the metering head filled with fuel. Then it should fire up eventually without any messing about! Main issue is if the idle screw is in the right spot, may take a bit of tweaking.

7. pyrotechnix Forum Member

so after some ****in around with fittin the new fuel pump, it wouldnt prime until the engine starts turnin, but primes none the less.. after a few attempts still no fuel from the injectors, so i removed one to see if fuel was comin down the line and nothin, not even a drop!!
    undid the line from the filter to metering head (both ends) and fuel sprayed out, but nothing from the top of the metering head (fuel line outputs) and the "disc" for airflow is constantly up (as in closed)
    so still no joy... any ideas welcome

could it be summat silly.. like havin the mixture screw set wrong?

cheers
    andy

8. rubjonny

so you got no fuel out of the injector end of the fuel line, but you did at the metering head? this would suggest the line is blocked.

9. pyrotechnix Forum Member

well fuel comes from the filter to the metering head at the connection, but not from the connection points for the lines on the metering head. seems like it wont pass the metering head.

cheers
    andy

10. rubjonny

ah ok, id say the metering head itself is to blame then, take it off the top of the air metering box (3 screws) and check the fuel metering pin in the bottom moves in and out smoothly.

11. pyrotechnix Forum Member

sweet, will give that a bash next time i get chance.
    dont suppose you know anything about the mixture screw, have heard things underneath can be brittle and easily broken. got a price for a new metering head... 600quid!!! foook that!! lmao

cheers
    andy

12. rubjonny

the mixture screw is part of the lower half which is seperate from the fuel metering head. Those are pretty easy to come by if you break em :)