mk1 gti starting trouble

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by samc, Jun 2, 2016.

1. samc Forum Member

recently bough a mk1 golf gti cabriolet non runner, (I have a year to sort it for my wifes 30th lol)

put 12v to the wur valve (assuming its that, middle of the block at the front with 2 braided fuel hoses going to it) which kicked the pump into life.. next I checked the plug leads and they were 1 off as in 1 round from where they should be.
    still wouldn't start.
    next I lifted the metering head flap and could hear the injectors squirting... fired straight into life :thumbup:
    idles a bit high and spluttered a bit but it is low on fuel. switched it off and back on and it fired straight back up.
    came to the next day and it wouldn't start again, lifted up the metering head and fired straight up again no problem..
    so I have a few questions.
    the need for 12v to the wur, does that suggest fuel pump relay issue? what should I check 1st
    and why am I having to physically lift the metering head flap to get it going?
    any help would be great.
    (chances are ill end up sticking a 1.8t in it as its for my wife and a reliable 150bhp with standard turbo and everything associated would be perfect for it in my eyes)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the wur is fed from the fuel relay, so putting 12v on it will have back fed the fuel pump as well. so from your description it sounds like the fuel relay is dead, missing, incorrect or the rev counter wire from the coil to the fusebox is bad (does the rev counter work?)

go thru the basic kjet checks in this thread, might be 5th injector isnt working or the metering head flap is sticky or not adjusted properly:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?195423

3. samc Forum Member

thanks for the reply, yes rev counter works fine. thank you

4. rubjonny

ok so its probably not the rev counter signal, unless captain bodger has been at it and bypass the fusebox. take it you've checked the fuel pump fuse?

5. samc Forum Member

off reading the link, ive noticed there is a spare black wire next to the starter but no spare terminal, starter looks new so possibly been changed, does it just supply 12v from startup like an alternator does? if so can I just splice into the starter ignite wire to save changing the starter motor?

6. rubjonny

aha the extra terminal is a cranking live which powers the black wire for the 5th injector, so could well be why you struggle on a cold start :)

the problem with splicign to the starter cranking live is that the black wire spade also feeds the cold throttle enrichment system, so if you do that the starter will crank every time you floor the throttle :lol:

you can fix it either by putting a diode in there, unplug the cold throttle enrichment valve, or follow this guide on mk3 starter upgrade :)
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?274329

7. samc Forum Member

spot on. you da man [:D]

8. rubjonny

hopefully that and a new fuel relay will sort it :thumbup: