mk1/mk2 fuel pump relay location?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by I V - mk1 16v, Nov 14, 2005.

1. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Seperate from my current charging issues.

Had a couple of problems with my mk1 16v stuttering at around 6700 revs, feels like its hitting the rev limiter but that doesn't usually cut in til about 7200.

I think it was GVK who suggested using the kr fuel relay rather the original mk1 one, got the old KR one but the haynes book does'nt seem to say which one it is on the mk1,

Or what else could this be? Faulty rev counter?? [:s]
    Edited by: I V - mk1 16v

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

what fuse box have you got in the mk1 early or late one

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Strange, the rev limiter is part of the ECU, but I think it was Velly who had a problem with his car at hi-revs and it was traced to the mk1 fuel pump relay.

Confused [:s]

Can't be that many relays on a mk1 Golf, just pull each one out in turn until you stop the fuelpump running on key on
    Edited by: GVK

4. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Hey Ian

the relay plate is split into two sections a top row and a bottom row.

the fuel relay is the second one from the left on the top row !! ;)

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

The standardmk1 fuel relay (with the fuse on the end of it) part no is 321 906 059 C

6. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Pic below is of an early mk1 fusebox - the fuel pump relay is the invisible one in the middle :)

[​IMG]

The rev limiting function is part of the fuel pump relay. The coil feed supplies the rev info.

If you think the relay is the issue why not just remove it and bridge the relevant terminals on the fusebox (with a fuse of course).
    Edited by: mr.brown

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

im sure there are differnt fule pump relays too i had one from a rocco that worked and one from a cab that didnt both were working in the cars

8. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

I love this place! you lot are great :hug:

9. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

And even if it works I wouldn't recommend sticking a late mk1/mk2 relay into an early mk1 as there will be no fuse for the pump!

10. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Okay cool i'll stick a fuse in line aswell then.

11. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

going back to this, finally got my other 'little' jobs finished last night and went to have a play with the relay's.

don't know if my fuse box is different from everybody else's, but the relay which stopped the fuel pump priming was actually top left top row, so none of the suggested locations above and a different part no from the one mike suggested! [:s] It was a long one with a 16amp fuse mounted on the top. That sound right???

I replaced it with the KR one, which came from the, IIRC second top left from the 16v fusebox and has got the no.72 painted on the top. That sound right???

Anyway didn't work, would not prime the pump and made a dodgy buzzing noise on the fusebox. [:$] :lol: .

Have i got the wrong KR one? and what do relay's actually do?
    Could i just bypass it with a fuse? like Mr Brown said and If so how?

Cheers folks i'm a bit crap with electrics. :)

12. GVK

Relay is just a switch designed to switch a high current (loaded) circuit using thinner wiring for the switching :)

Not sure which is the relay on a mk2, never had any bother with them touch wood.

If you bridge out the relay it will run the pump all the time,depending how it's wired it might run even with key off:lol::thumbd: No harm in trying it as a temp measure tho, just to see what happens.
    Edited by: GVK

13. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I used to get lots of problems with my mk1 16v fuel pump relays ( old style fusebox non-blade type fuses) i used to change them every year or so because they would burn out. The relay will click after priming and, my car was different from the above and i had a relay in the click on optional parts of the fusebox, easy to spot as its the only one with a fuse on. The non genuine relays i found were not as good as the genuine relay and did not last very long.

16amp fuse sounds a bit big , been ages since i looked at them tho

I used to get lots of problems with this and heard that some people has fitted new fuseboxes and the problem went away.

The later blade type fuseboxes have a different relay without a fuse on and don`t give any problems that i have found..

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Like Gary said mate with bridging the relay......sometimes they have a little circuit pic on the side of the relay too & from that you can see what 2 pins arethe switch to bridge.

When mine went it would cut out the car intermittently so i got a good bit of wire & soldered a spade connector to each end to use in emergency's but once you plug it in you might get a tiny spark & the electric goes through & the pump will keep pumping so start it quickly & the same when you turn the ignition off it will still try to tick over until you whip it out.

You can see on mine it's between pin 30 & 87:

[​IMG]

15. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

The mk1 relay actually works fine except i think that it's limiting my revs to 6700ish, so i really want to replace it with a relay which will let it rev upto 7200 like the KR did? [:s]

16. GVK

I sent velly a PM asking him about the relay used in his Cab Ian, will let you know when he replies.

17. steve r

steve r Forum Member

the fuel pump relay on the mk2 16v is blue with 67 marked on it, either pos 2 on an early fuse box or pos 12 on a late one

18. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

tsr changed mine for a 'bridged' relay to allow mine to rev over 6k

19. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Cheers Steve, haynes said no.2 but no. 12 must be right as it was a late 16v.

Cheers velly also, i'll try try the kr relay 1st then try to bridge the relay like Mike suggested.

How can a relay act as a rev limiter anyway??

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Mine is in an 8v & yours a 16v (hits head against wall very hard for being dumb)