mk1 speedo/clocks and 1.8T engine

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Admin, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Admin Guest

those running mk1 golfs with the 20v engine in, how have you made the clocks work?

I'm running the standard 20v ecu and loom. How do i mate that up to the original mk1 stuff to work?

2. benny Forum Member

If you do it my way, just have nothing working and guess!

However, Jabba do a ignition amplifier box (type thing) which converts the signal from the 20v ecu. About 60 squid I've heard, though I can't find it on their website. MSD also do something similar which I believe the yanks use.

You'll need a Corrado 16v or G60 (VR6?) cable if running 02A/J box - I've got one but I've found it a bit short, need to take a hole-saw to the scuttle tray [:^(]

For my water temp, I've used an ally adaptor (M10 hole) 35mm(?) bore which is mounted in my top hose and I have a 16v sender in it. It reads way high - go figure! - however i have read somewhere that a 330ohm resistor helps???

TBH, I'm holding back sorting all my issues here what with dreaming of Stack tacho's and Digidash options.... Can you lend me a tenner?

3. Admin Guest

i've got the original clocks for the engine, but i would prefer to use my mk1 stuff as i want it all to look the way it should

4. benny Forum Member

I forgot to say that I have 16v clocks in mine - hence 16v sender...

Re the speedo cable, the Corrado ones have a clip on plastic end rather than a screw on type. I forget what a std Mk1 has? Also they go for a lot of cash - 40/50 quid and are like hens teeth to get hold of!!

Good luck!

5. Admin Guest

thought speedo cable were pretty cheap? last one i got was..

think i have one somewhere for it anyway... one of those odd things you have tucked away, will it fit the 02A box though?

you just poke the 020 one into the box and there is a little screw that holds it into place on top of the box.

6. bigadd Forum Member

Im going to watching this with great intrest as i am nearly at this stage and already am having troubles i have brought at least 4 wrongs things to fit the cable into the box.

7. d.j.ryder Forum Member

qpeng sell the tacho box for 40 and its only 4 wires to connect,hope this helps

8. Admin Guest

will see if the box of trick my brother brought back from the states does this.

9. benny Forum Member

The Corrado cables are no longer available from VAG and not available from GSF or Euro either. The only option is a used one. that said, a 1990 stylie Passat has the same cable. Basically anything of that era running an 02A box.

I meant at the speedo end regarding the fixing - sorry! The gearbox end is totally different to an 020.

This is an 020 one (was looking for an 02A pic to ref - no luck)

[​IMG]

The black end is the same fitting for the speedo as you get on a Corrado / Passat cable. The other end is a large ally hex nut which goes onto a plastic 'speedo drive' inserted in the box.

FWIW, it's worth putting the cable on the box before putting the box / engine in the car as it's a bit tight getting your fingers in the when the back mount is attached - as I now know! Also, as I said before, I found the cable to be about an inch short of the clocks, thus requiring a hole being drilled in the rain tray - easier with the engine out! As I now know......

I can tell you roughly where to drill the hole in the rain tray - but a picture would explain it easier - I can snap one tomoz if you're interested? However - it may be that the cable I got is just short for some reason!?

10. benny Forum Member

Ta, I didn't know that!

11. bens_cab Forum Junkie

im sure a 1.1 mk1 golf is a screw fixing on the gearbox end ive done this before on a 20vt running a
    g60 box i vaguely remember using the 1.1 cable

12. Admin Guest

you got a link as i can't see it on the website

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I was going to say just that, though thought it was 1.3?

Whip out the speedo sender and the cable screws straight in...?

14. bigadd Forum Member

Hmmmm im having a nightmare with this i have tried lots of things i am obviously missing something !!!!

15. bens_cab Forum Junkie

yep defo as you say it was either a 1.1 or 1.3 mk1 cable i know its a discontinued part buts the easier thing to do you can get the cables on ebay :thumbup:

16. Mk1mania New Member

Regarding the original question...

The MK1 clocks are driven by a mechanical worm drive from the original 020 gearbox, which runs the mileage counter/speedo

But when installing a 20vt engine and using an 02A box which has a sensor inside is it possible to still run the original clocks....or does this sensor come out which can be replaced with a worm drive ?

..... maybe theres something i'm not getting ??

17. Admin Guest

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1.0-1.3 cables will fit the 02a sensor, unscrew the plug bit off the back of it and thread the 1.0-1.3 cable in its place. MK2 1.0-1.3 cables work, thought prob slightly different to the MK1 in terms of bulkhead grommets, but could prob swap those over with some fiddling. speedo end on the ealier clocks are different though, so if you have early clocks you'll need to get later ones if using a MK2 speedo cable

19. bigadd Forum Member

I have sorted my one works well, Rev counter will once ECU back from Qpeng.

As stated i used a 1.3 cable and and it screwed straight into the drive on the 02A box.

Kinda wish i hadn't now as i didn't realise how fast i had been going !!!!!

20. Admin Guest

what are you getting done to the ECU to run the rev counter?