MK2 1.6 Carb

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by neilburnett, Mar 29, 2007.

1. neilburnett New Member

how can i make her go her a little sweeter
    without a full blown engine transplant
    only being 17 i think a VR6 swap will have to wait till tesco pipe down about insurance
    i know i can swap the Pierburg for a Weber; roughly how much it cost?
    what are my other options?
    i think she might already have something done because shes done 0-60 in the low 9s a few times.
    or is this what they all do?

2. BEN

Ben New Member

brand new weber conversion + setup can be around 300
    gti 8v downpipe + aftermarket exhaust can add up to another 300

also, how many miles has your 1.6 engine done?

do you really want to spend money on the 1.6?

i think your better off just waiting till you can buy and insure a gti :)

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

PM AxlFoley, he found a very nice price for supply & fitment of a Weber, see his recent thread "Weber mounting bracket". If that's the way you wanna go. (Sorry AxlFoley, hope you don't mind!).

4. newkid

newkid Forum Member

also put a gti cam in it like i have done the other week. Makes a fair bit of difference.

you could also put a K&N panel filter in to replace your exsisting air filter but i am unsure just how much gain you will get from doing this as i havent. Maybe someone who has can help?

Or you could retain your block and put a 1.8 crank and pistons in it. that way you still retain your 1.6 engine number and should you have a prang the insurance are none the wiser because they are hardly likely to strip your engine down a measure everything. (depends on if you really want to get your hands dirty or risk it with the insurance)

5. shexuel Forum Member

is there a really different in pefomanse with gti cam. has anyone take timer in hand and test it. or drive 1.6 engine with gti cam to some test of torque and horse pw. can anyone explain expeirence with adding gti cam. is there bad perfomanse before 3000 rpms and after.

6. Drew21 Forum Member

well I put a K&N in and it made no difference at all. Never put a gti cam in as I was unconvinced of the benefit as you'd need to re-jet the carb, no?

7. Drew21 Forum Member

oh and for cheap things to do. Pop some vented brake discs on the front and also put a front ARB on. All this from standard gti scrap parts should be cheap.

all this won't make it go any faster but the brakes are much better, for sooo little work and the ARB makes roundabouts lots more fun (quite a pain to fit though)

plus if you drive at night, get a headlight loom as it makes travelling fast at night a lot easier!!

I don't think that your ins company would be interested in that lot

8. newkid

newkid Forum Member

I dont know about anyone else but i havent found the need to re-jet my pierburg after fitting a PB cam in my 1.6 driver.

9. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Timing needs resetting to that of a GTI, never heard of the carb needing to be rejetted. Maybe it'd run slightly better if it were getting a proper carb tune up on a rolling road. That involves trying different jet sizes.

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Don't know if I'm alone in not understanding, but could someone with mechanical know-how please explain what happens differently with the valves when changing between non-gti and gti cam? Speak slowly in simple terms for the benefit of the mechanically-challenged like me please :) . Are there any downsides to the change?

Pete

11. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

It prods them in a different way ;) :p

12. blackmk2 New Member

well with a gti cam, the valves may open further and open for longer periods of time.

13. newkid

newkid Forum Member

when i compared the two the gti cam had a higher profile lobe (pointy bit) on it, and the position of the lobes is slightly different.

It only marginally seems to sacrifice power under 2000rpm but to be honest its not noticable.
    The pull of the engine seems a lot better and it gives it a bit more get-up and go.

14. shexuel Forum Member

what actually means re-jet carb untwist those two jets in carb to make more fuel to flow to engine or something ? how is possible to add more fuel to engine with 2e2 carb anyway ?

15. newkid

newkid Forum Member

Im not too sure of the jet sizes in a 2e2 but basically re-jetting means putting either a larger or smaller jet into the carb itself.
    Webers and 2e2 carbs are fixed jet carbs and so you have to change the jet to get the fuel air ratio mix correct unlike on the old S.U. style carbs which had a variable jet that you could just simply unscrew a bit to make them richer or screw them in a bit to make them leaner.

16. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Newkid speaketh the truth; the only way to increase the jet size in a 2E2 is to take them out and fit some bigger ones, or if you're good with tiddly drills, take them out and drill them out a bit. They ain't adjustable. On the 1.6 engine the primary has a 1.1mm hole, the secondary is 1.27mm, dunno what the 1.8 has, a shade bigger I guess.;)

If you really want more fuel to come out of your carb though, and be properly combusted in the engine, is to increase the airflow through the carb. This will automatically pull more fuel with it, provided that all your jets/fuel outlets etc are clear, and all the enrichment mechanisms are doing their job as designed.

One way to improve airflow- make sure your exhaust isn't constricting the engine's ability to get rid of the combustion byproducts. Revs can then go higher, more air goes in. Another way, make sure your air filter isn't impeding the intake air. Probably loads more.

Pete

17. shexuel Forum Member

well how come that my engine EZ have a first jet 1.1 mm and second 1,275 mm nad 1.8 GU engine has just 1.05mm and 1.2mm if increase of airflow automaticly get more fuel well if jet is smaller how come that gu engine has more power with same quantity of fuel or even with smaller quantity of fuel if hole in jet is smaller.

ez 75bhp - X110/X127,5
    gu 90 - X105/X120
    rh 85bhp - X102,5/X125
    rf 72 - 102,5/127,5
    pn 70 - X105/X110

18. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Had to think about that for a sec. but I think the answer is that because of the greater cylinder capacity; for the same rpm, a greater volume of air will be drawn through the carb. 1800/1600=1.125, i.e. 12.5% more.

To get this extra air the airspeed through the carb will have to be significantly faster. I'm pretty sure that the pressure drop due to the Bernoulli effect is proportional to the square of the flow speed, therefore the 'suction' on the fuel outlets will be quite a bit more, therefore more fuel will get pulled through, even though the jets are smaller.

Remember, the pressure difference across the jet orifice will govern the fuel flow rate.

How's that? [:D]

Shex: I am planning to look at the power valve this afternoon, will post any useful info I find.

19. shexuel Forum Member

well i pull of the airbox totaly and leave carb open totaly. i notice real different.if there is no different with gti cam, why people put it at all. a lot of guys said there is different after 3000. one thing is for sure with 1.6 cam maximum torque is from 2500 rpm, at 2000 in every gear you can feel different. i drived gti a lot of time and no different below 3000 in 2nd and 3rd you have to wait to about 4000 rpm to really feel acceleration. but 1.6 engine is acceleration from 2000 and after 3000 i like cry ofcourse for 1.6 machine. and gti has a torque from about 3000 to 6500 and 1.6 engine from 2500 to 5000 that is problematic, but it is faster from 2000 rpm to 4000 than gti i have test it both cars. but gti after about 4000 is flying by just like that, 1.6 has maximum torque at lower rpm or revs however i dont understand english that well.

20. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Very bad plan my friend :o , you may not be able to see very much particulate matter in the air, but it's there, and will kill your carburettor very quickly (by blocking small passages), and your whole engine too after a while.