MK2 1.6 Carb

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by neilburnett, Mar 29, 2007.

1. newkid

newkid Forum Member

could it be the jets are a smaller opening because a) if they were the same as a 1.6 there would be too much fuel drawn into the mixture b) apart from the stroke being longer on the 1.8, if the jets are finer then the fuel will be pulled through at a greater pressure and so the atomised fuel particles that have been pulled through the jet will be smaller therefor making them more/easier combustable thus giving a slightly bigger bang?

2. shexuel Forum Member

well i think this is atmospherical carb so there is not presure at all, everything is under atmospheric presure, so on 1.8 carb if jet is smaller will pass less fuel because of constant atmospheric presure but but more air so that will make richer mixture and achieve better explosion in cyl. i think because only presure is that accelaration pump like injection if you look above the carb

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Back to carburettor school*... Yes one side of the carb is around about atmospheric pressure, but the engine is a big vacuum pump, and this, combined with the Bernoulli effect in the carb's venturis makes the pressure at the fuel outlets much, much lower.

Edit: * I felt guilty about writing this, and checked with Shexuel via PM that he wasn't offended. He was cool with it thankfully. I feel I should apologise to anyone who reads my 'rantings' and thinks 'effing know-all' or words to that effect. My enthusiasm for gaining a deep understanding of all aspects of the 2E2, and carbs in general, occasionally gets the better of me...

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. shexuel Forum Member

you are right bigger champer make more vacuum right suck more air and faster right

5. westonamission Forum Member

i had a mk 2 driver with weber and gti cam, which i fitted. had a more useable torque band, power kicked in lower down and went further as well. made the car a much nicer drive and had pull when you needed it. there was a thread on here with details of a rolling road which proved that the gti cam made a big diff even with the 2e2. you'll have to search it as i can't be bothered. also i never rejetted my carb to 1800 and i had the car running well without altering the ignition timing, although not under load.