Mk2 1.8T 20v Build and Beyond

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Spooby, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Spooby New Member

Hello Everyone,

To clear the air before any comments on this thread, I know that what I am entailing is a "waste of money" by investing so much into a Golf Mk2.

I am looking into taking my mk2 Golf with a 1.8L 8v, and a 5 speed transmission, and replacing it with a 1.8T 20v from a Mk3/4 golf as well as an 02J transmission. I've been reading through the site and various other resources, like Qpeng, and this seems like it's not too far of stretch. However, I would also like to position the setup to be able to take on a lot more power, but I would like advice on both.

My overarching goal is to get the engine swapped and have a custom turbocharger setup to boost it to between 350-450 horsepower.

From what I understand I will need the following to upgrade the Mk2 to a 1.8T and beyond:
    The donor engine - AGU or AUM if I understand correctly
    The donor transmission - 02J
    Engine Mounts - G60
    Rear Brakes - perhaps from a Seat Ibiza
    Front Brakes - Same Ibiza setup?
    Suspension - Open to suggestions on which manufacturer to go with
    Radiator - An aftermarket Corrado radiator maybe?
    Intercooler - Probably a custom build for my purpose
    Clutch - From what I've seen Sachs seems to be the frontrunner
    Gearset - Would I need a stronger gear set for the higher HP ranges?
    Forged Pistons - Many suppliers, which ones are reputable
    Forged Connecting Rods - Same situation as pistons
    Improved Sleeves
    Bigger turbocharger - Something in the GT28 to GT30 range possibly?
    Piping and manifold to go with the turbo - Possibly one made for the 1.8T with some custom plumbing
    Wiring Loom - Rubjonny seems to be the go to for this situation, so I've already asked him about the setup
    Mk3 Subframe - I've read that this improves the handling
    Exhaust - custom the whole way back

The exterior and interior of the car I would like to try to keep as stock as possible for the time being.

If anything I've listed so far is terribly off, or anyone has their two cents to offer I would appreciate it!

2. Gup16v Forum Member

i hope nut20v does not mind me tagging his build in this thread, but its looks the best fit for what your after...

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?245009-My-Mk2-GT30-Gone-for-mapping-What-Will-Come-Back
    you seem to have covered most of the things needed

with 350+ bhp you will need an LSD. (figures you would expect from a gt28 or gt30)
    ASD/CTN gearboxes from mk3's have tall gears ideal gears.
    AGU blocks are pretty cheap if your looking to modify it (the way you are) also much simpler to work with.
    Seat ibiza brembos seem a good shout for stopping power but dont think they fit over 15's?
    Bigger injectors - definitely
    'Rado VR radiator is good bit of a tight fit but still very good esp with twin fans
    For That sort of power i would look beyond your standard VR6 Clutch.
    R.J is the guy for Wiring looms - very helpful too :thumbup:

That WILL be a money pit but there is no doubting it will be an absolute weapon once its built.

nut 20v likes this.
  3. nealey Forum Junkie

4. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Its time you started a build thread so people can chip in and give advise there is so much knowledge on here dont be afraid to ask even silly questions everyone has to start also i think the search function finally works so you can find most answers there :thumbup:

fasteddie likes this.
  5. tom.rich Forum Member

Doesn't sound like a waste of money or too optimistic at all mate, go for it, seen plenty crazier things pulled off :thumbup:

RunJonny's looms are definitely worth a shout as you've already found out :)

The AGU engines are winners in my book. Bigger inlet ports, good management, Mahle pistons, and no BAM/etc premium... throw some decent rods and exhaust valves in along with a freshen up (rings, bearings and the usual serviceables etc) and it'll take the power you want to give it :) Diff for sure though, don't even think about skipping it, it's a LOT of power in a Mk2, nothing like a chubby Mk4 or an S3 with Haldex's helping hand.

I bought my A3 1.8T donor car for 350 as an MOT failure and ended up keeping the stuff needed for a conversion and made the best part of 700 from scrap, panels, interior, etc :)

The rest is preference and there are a few ways of doing nearly every aspect of the swap so have a dig around :thumbup:

RubJonny, Trackslag, Club GTI, tool box - All you need :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for subframes it makes no odds what you choose for handling, they're the same basic shape mk2 and mk3. what matters is which 02a rear engine bracket you end up with as this is what dictates which subframe you nee. for example, corrado or g60 would require a mk2 subframe, mk3/seat abf or tdi would require a mk3 subframe :)

rear brakes you can leave alone, what you have are already plenty good enough. the seat/polo ones are a better design as they have separate hubs but no real need to upgrade for the sake of it. I am though just because :lol:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?177988

master cylinder the popular option these days is seat 20v/ford fucus 23mm unit as its shorter to clear the timing belt cover, it needs a couple mods to fit but these are well covered
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?248164

7. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Hello, thought i'd stick my 2p's worth in on this one, it sounds like an interesting build in the offing

Thanks Nealey for kind words and the link to my build.

Hi Spooby, welcome to the forum, from your post count your pretty new here and its great to see you getting stuck into a project. Whats your car back ground? are you new to the VW scene? From your opening line you sound like you've had some bad internet forum experiences? Its all good generally round these parts, there are a lot of people who really know their stuff and they will be keen to help.

I've posted my thoughts below yours below. Good your on board, get get a build thread started in the members gallery section.

The donor engine - AGU or AUM if I understand correctly
    AGU
    The donor transmission - 02J
    Good choice, you'll need the shifter cables to suit the O2J
    Engine Mounts - G60
    Good, or push the boat out to Vibra-technics
    Rear Brakes - perhaps from a Seat Ibiza
    Any of the Aluminium Mk4 golf platform rear callipers fit and are the best
    Front Brakes - Same Ibiza setup?
    Nothing smaller than 280mm with good quality discs and pads
    Suspension - Open to suggestions on which manufacturer to go with
    A good road set-up is fixed platform Koni adjustable dampers with Eibach Pro-springs with either Neuspeed or Eibach ARBs
    Radiator - An aftermarket Corrado radiator maybe?
    Don't get too carried away and don't loose site of the stock 16v Rad being double cored
    Intercooler - Probably a custom build for my purpose
    Yes custom build to suit is good
    Clutch - From what I've seen Sachs seems to be the frontrunner
    A VR6 clutch would be a good start with a G60 or Corrado 4cyl. flywheel
    Gearset - Would I need a stronger gear set for the higher HP ranges?
    Others i'm sure will give better advice than me
    Forged Pistons - Many suppliers, which ones are reputable
    I use Wossner pistons in my hi-rpm/hi-comp ABF track motor
    Forged Connecting Rods - Same situation as pistons
    Integrated Engineering con-rods all the way, they have 1/2" ARP bolts
    Improved Sleeves
    Others will have to comment
    Bigger turbocharger - Something in the GT28 to GT30 range possibly?
    PM Sambo on here, he's the Turbo mentalist
    Piping and manifold to go with the turbo - Possibly one made for the 1.8T with some custom plumbing

Wiring Loom - Rubjonny seems to be the go to for this situation, so I've already asked him about the setup
    Rubjonny is the wiring god so he'll help with that
    Mk3 Subframe - I've read that this improves the handling
    Mk3 Subframe is practically the same as a mk2 and will make no difference if changed on its own, you will need the wide track suspension to improve the handling
    Exhaust - custom the whole way back
    Pipewerx are good

Hope that helps.

Cheers PAB

8. Spooby New Member

Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

The Mk2 that have was purchased brand new in the United States in 1992, the wealthy lady who owned it later moved to Oxfordshire, where she currently resides. It has only done 44,000 miles in it's 22 years on this earth, and is in what I would say is impeccable condition. As it is from the US it is left hand drive and all other specifications that would go along with that.

This will be my first project car and the first VW that I've owned. In the past I've had a slew of junky cars, but my current daily driver is a Nissan Note. I have however rented a VW anytime I've been on mainland Europe and love how they handle and feel. I love the idea of a beastly Mk2 because it's small, nimble, and very few people will expect it to overtake them.

I know very little about cars, I've been trying to learn bits and pieces here and there, but I nowhere near competent with a torque wrench; I make my living doing IT work. I did find out in a hurry how impractical it would be to squeeze power out of a Note (hence my money pit intro), but this type of project has been shown to be possible, so I much more confident that this would be an alright idea.

I'm working on a shopping list for parts, and will post it later.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah with it being LHD you dont need to worry about the seat master cylinder, a normal mk2 22mm one will fit fine tons of clearance assuming its an 8v with 239mm brakes. if it has 256 already then you're sorted just put bigger calipers n carriers on the mc is already the larger version. if you want to go hydro clutch you'll need a metal strengthening plate from a lhd corrado or golf g60 as otherwise the bulkhead ends up a bit flexible, but a lhd 1.3 clutch cable and SEAT cable conversion kit should work fine if you dont want to go hydro.

heres what it looks like, you'll find more info on the vortex
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?253479

10. Spooby New Member

Hello again everyone,

I've been doing more reading and research and learned a few things and compiled a more complete part list of what I believe I'll need. Apparently VW used Mahle forged pistons in the 1.8T, which can withstand 450hp and they don't require sleeves like weaker engines.

Connecting Rods - Integrated Engineering
    Forged Pistons - Wiseco
    ARP Bolts - IE
    Limited Slip Differential - Peloquin
    Stage 3+ Clutch and Steel Flywheel - Spec
    Corrado Radiator - VW
    Front, LH Rear, RH Rear, and bushes - VibraTechnics
    GTX3076R Turbocharger - Garrett
    Golf MK3 Gearbox -VW
    Shifter Cable kit for Mk4 Golf - VW
    Wiring Loom - Rjonny
    1000cc Fuel Injectors - Delphi
    Intercooler - Mishimoto
    Intake Manifold - IE
    Exhaust - Custom Back
    Rear Brake Disc Conversion - VW/VW Heritage
    Steel Brakelines - No vendor looked into yet
    Coilover Setup - Koni
    Coated Tubular Exhaust Manifold - Custom
    Fuel Rail - IE
    Fuel Pump - Bosch
    Anti-sway bars - Eibach
    Adjustable Cam Gear - IE
    Fuel Pressure Regulator - Bosch
    Intake Valve Set - Supertech
    Valve Spring Set - Supertech
    Short Shifter Kit - VF Engineering
    Blow Off Valve - Tial
    Electronic Boost Controller - GReddy
    Turbo Wastegate - Precision
    Downpipe - Custom
    Wideband O2 Sensor - Innovate
    Camshaft Set - IE
    Headgasket - VW
    Oil Pump - VW
    Water Pump - VW

If anyone thinks any of the brands/items I've listed so far are rubbish or not worth it, don't be afraid to pipe up.

11. Spooby New Member

Hello again everyone,

In case anyone is still interested I'm still planning this conversion, and I've started ordering parts. After realizing the growing costs of all the parts once they have come together, I've decided to go with a traditional engine conversion at first, and focus on a ridiculously powerful setup later. The engine I've gone with the BAM code engine and a stock K04 for a respectable 225 hp. So far I believe I have every piece for the conversion on order, and I am just waiting on shipping for all the bits.

12. benthejettaman Forum Member

what i can see from your list is you havnt thought about your clutch operation of if you are going cable or hydraulic

13. Spooby New Member

I think I would prefer a cable clutch setup, but I need to do more research into what that would actually take.

On a different note, does anyone know if the cable driven AEB throttle would work on the BAM engine?

14. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Make your life a tiny bit easier and cheaper too, get a mk2 gti rear beam with discs on it already, then all the handbrake cables too

If I read the start of your post correctly this is a regular 1.8 golf, WITHOUT rear discs

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

15. Spooby New Member

Yeah it's the version with rear drums, and I've already purchased a rear axle and some mk4 Golf calipers for it. I'm just waiting on the calipers to arrive. I'm also scouring ebay for a full set of G60 280mm brakes for the front.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014