Mk2 1.8T to 3.2 conversion help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Marky4787, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Marky4787

Marky4787 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello

New to posting on here so sorry if this is in the wrong thread

I have been looking around the forum and I'm finding a lot of information which is good, but I am trying to figure out the basics for converting a mk2 to a 3.2 v6 which currently has a 1.8T

There's obviously lots of info for doing a 1.8t conversion or a 3.2 conversion but not much about swapping the two

So just a brief description I have a 91 CE2 Golf GTI with a 1.8T AGU with K04 swap with a 02J box

I have just brought this morning! a 2007 Audi a3 with the 3.2 v6 engine so I have the whole car!

I'm not sure about the engine mounts? hoping to keep the 02j box (I'm not after massive power) I just want that vr burble for the random weekends I drive this car in the summers, the 1.8T is cool and fun but it's not for me

I'll probably get another CE2 loom and send that and the vr loom off to get made

I'll get the trackslag down pipe to match my trackslag system

not sure about the engine mounts? do the 1.8T ones use same mounting points on the engine?
    its currently sitting on the standard GTI subframe

then i'll find somewhere for the ecu to get de-immobilised or maybe I can do it? I have VCDS but think I'd rather play it safe and get a pro to do that

other things I'm concerned about is losing the air con and pas from the engine? easy to remove but what belt to use?

The main mission is to make it a plug and play when I've got all the bits, then I can sell the 1.8T as a plug and play conversion for a mk2

any help would be much appreciated

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, 1.8t box won't fit the v6, I'm in the process of fitting an Audi 3.2 I to a friend's mk3 golf gti.
    I've used mk3 vr6 rear engine mount plus front one too, using an o2j box from a Golf 2.3 v5, with 100mm cups fitted for driveshafts. Trackslag downpipe for it too. May require a mk3 subframe for rear tower type mounting
    There are companies starting to make the mounts for the v6 lump as original vr6 ones are becoming harder to find. Try speaking to Boost fabrication who did my 1.8t mounts, they are/were developing v6 onrs.
    You could use the mk3 vr6 or corrado vr6 gearbox, sharan is different though.
    Not looked into belt length yet, unsure what stuff mate wants to keep, definitely power steering, my 1.8t mk2 is heavy without it when parking.
    Would need the loom altered in a similar way it has to be for the 20vt. Sure more clever people than me will explain more on it, several conversions happening at present I believe.
    Hope that helps as a start.

Attached Files:

3. Marky4787

oh sucks about the box! 6 speed it is then! I'll have to check around a few fabricators as it seems like I should be able to buy a lot of stuff of the shelf just trying to get as much inside knowledge as I can, then I'll get it all put together in the shed ready

The belt will have to be trail and error I guess

maybe have to get a power steering rack then if its going to be a real pain?

thanks for the input, at least its a start

4. dodgy

Is the audi auto or 6 speed, 4wd or fwd?
    Mk3 vr6 rear engine mount, epytec or similar o2m brackets for gearbox and front modified.
    Mk3 subframe with the gearbox turret moved.
    Mk2 wishbones on the mk3 subframe, then have heard fabia/ibiza 6 speed driveshafts with 4mm shim between cv and hub, but vr6 drive flanges in mk2 hubs (5 stud but can get redrilled or convert rear to 5 stud to match).
    Hydraulic clutch system with custom line, mk3 slave cylinder (I think fits the o2m)
    If the gearbox is 4wd can get a blank that replaces the rear shaft take off then uses another short cup flange to become fwd only.
    Classic vw were a good price for epytec o2m brackets, boost fab do hydro conversion and probably mounts, know Andrew was developing a set of mounts for the v6 conversion plus 6 speed box, and makes the accelerator pedal mount for mk4 type if your 1.8t was dbc.
    O2m is electronic speed sensor, so that would need sorting somehow, plus tacho converter for 4 to 6 cylinder.
    Been doing my homework on this for quite a while.

Edit, A3 belts listed with or without a/c
    1240mm non a/c vs 1610 with, gives you something to check.
    6k ibiza uses a mk3 style subframe but mk2 width track, as do mk2 caddy/inca and polo estate/saloon - not polo hatchback (6n/2)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  5. Marky4787

The Audi is auto and 4wd, this is sounding like a lot more work then I originally thought, I was hoping it'll be a simple case of a few extra's like mounts and different box!

not really looking at changing subframes, shafts and issues like electric speed sensors :cry: I can see why most go for the 1.8T conversion

oh well maybe I'll hang onto the engine until someone fabricates everything required for a simple swap

Thanks for the help so far

6. dodgy

If it's auto will need flywheel, clutch assembly, starter, gearbox and linkage from the 2.3v5, or vr6. Which are pretty hard to get hold of now, I got lucky and found one for stu, but it was nearly 300 miles away. Mounts I got from a guy locally that was breaking a vr6, again it took me a while to find a full set, the o2a gearbox rear mount and 100mm cups came from a mk3 tdi I knew of, but that was 240 miles from me. Its been a lot of collection time and luck.
    My mk3 subframe I have in my shed already converted to take 6 speed mounts along with box, flywheel, shafts etc, so if I do decide to fit it it's ready to go.
    You could look at fabless manufacturing in Canada for swap parts, or type19.co.uk will do a turnkey r32 mk2.
    The sticking point for me was sourcing the gearbox complete setup, I don't know if you can keep the auto and lose 4wd, but then you have problems as it's another ecu on those I believe that controls it.

It is just mounts and box really, it's less plumbing than the 1.8t as no intercooler, clears brake master cylinder (I think), electric work is similar too.
    Swapping subframe is about 8 bolts and makes the rear engine mount a standard item then, not a custom one, swings and roundabouts really.

7. Marky4787

I'll get in touch with type19 to see what they can offer if I have majority of the parts? might be able to point me in the right direction

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

easier option is v5 or vr6 box, as said. subframe can stay. manifold needs to be custom. is it an 8l or 8p audi, as that determines what you need to get your rev counter working. either way the original mk2 cluster can be retained with right adaptor and speedometer cable if you keep it 02a/j. fitting the dsg box or 02m would mean the cluster will need to be changed as they're electronic speedo only

9. Marky4787

Ok well there are a few 02j v5 boxes out there so I'll grab one, then if I'm keeping the subframe will I still have to find different driveshafts?

it's an 8p

10. rubjonny

driveshafts can stay, just as mentioned swap to 100mm flanges if you get a v5 box :)

also, if you're not using the dsg box I have a customer who is desperate for an 8p or mk5 golf dsg + haldex wiring loom for his project. lmk if you want to part with it and I'll get you both in touch :)

11. Marky4787

Ok that's great so 100mm flanges with the v5 box, As for the harness once I've got the car I'll get it striped and yes they can have the harness from the dsg everything I don't need will be stripped, I'll keep you updated :thumbup:

12. rubjonny

dropped you a pm :)

13. Marky4787

Ok making some progress today, I’ve got me some mk4 r32 exhaust manifolds which will require porting then should mate up with the trackslag downpipe

I’ve also got me a 2.3 v5 02j box

would I be able to take the flanges off my 1.8t 02j?

I’ve emailed boost fab to see if they can sort the mounts out for me so all going well so far

dodgy likes this.
  14. rubjonny

Yep can switch the flanges between the boxes then sell the 1.8t box on as standard mk4

Marky4787 likes this.
  15. Marky4787

Ok picking up the gearbox today, what flywheel and clutch will I require?

16. rubjonny

VR6 flywheel, clutch can be anything 02a so abf, tdi, corrado etc but the vr6 kit is the strongest stock one available so thats the one you'll be wanting. if the V5 is solid flywheel that will do as well but not sure if they're all DMF?

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Engine bay TNJ V6.jpeg

I did this conversion on one of my own Golf 2 16v, albeit with a 2.8 24v 4 mo engine. The ECU prep and installation was also done by me, with loom, engine/service and transmission marrying, and exhaust work outsourced to my trusted partners. The process for yours will be the same. You can do it all yourself if you have the skill time and the tools.

Step 1.
    Remove 1.8T, engine gearbox and loom, exhaust downpipe and any other 4 cylinder related items. Keep the MK2 Golf driveshafts. Keep the gear linkage, Keep fuel supply system.

The car will have an empty engine bay to start the process fresh.

TNJ Empty Engine Bay.jpeg

Step 2.

Get your PQ35 2007 022906032** ECU to be de immo'd and be calibrated for redundant hardware. This is a service I can provide.

Step 3
    Get your PQ35 engine control and engine bay loom, modified for MK2 Golf Central Electric use. Use a Mk5 or MK7 Digital accelerator pedal. You will need a CAN converter for the engine speed signal with a PQ35 ECU.

Step 4
    Source a Golf VR6 12v or MK4 Golf/Bora V5 02J/02A gearbox and flywheel. Be mindful of the short final drive of the V5 gearbox (3.94:1) on a MK2 Golf with 195/50/15 tyres and wheels ( 70 mph@ 3600 rpm). If you use a 02A 12v VR6 gearbox, the gear linkage will need to match the shift tower.

Step 5
    Source a MK3 Golf VR6 rear cross member and MK3 engine mount.
    Cut down the MK3 VR6 engine mount by 12 mm ( VWE tip).

Use a MK3 Golf 12v front gearbox bracket and a 12v or 24v oil cooler. Optional to fit a Corrado front crossmember. For the MK2 front crossmember, I made a batch of Autocavan style front mounts, one of them is used on my car.

Step 6.
    Source a MK3 Golf VR6 radiator or Corrado VR6 radiator and two flat cooling fans.

Step 7
    Source an aftermarket MK2 24v downpipe kit from William Skelton.

Step 8
    Remove SAI pump, cut off SLV from ally flange and freeze plug the hole.

Step 9
    Marry gearbox to 3.2 engine with a V5 DMF or 12v VR6 SMF and a new clutch kit. Marry engine loom to engine.

Step 10
    Fit a Accel pedal and ECU supply loom to the vehicle/ECU from your loom supplier.

Step 11
    Lower powertrain to the MK3 rear cross member and mount. Attach to front gearbox mount.
    Check sump clearance from main RH wishbone bolt and crossmember.

Step 11.
    Engine/Gearbox in vehicle, connect final electrics, and water heater hoses and air intake system with MAF. You can use a combination of 12v water hose kits which link the throttle body as well as large silicone hoses for air intake. Fit your gear linkage. Fit your fuel pipes.

Step 12

Fit your downpipe. You may need welding to join up to the rest of the 1.8T system. Check oil and coolant.

Step 13.

Starting time and leak checks.

I am busy working , but your question has made me write this. Some bits might be missing. It has been a while, but I have pictures of each step.

I could refine into a thread with more pictures.
    Good luck.

TNJ facing JNV.jpeg

Marky4787 and dodgy like this.
  18. dodgy

Great info @Toyotec , have a question as you are aware I'm sorting friends r32 in mk3 (slowly) but on the front engine bracket I've used a mk3 vr6 one, it's got a v5 box, was there clearance issues for the oil filter on the r32 engine, or is it something that needs swapping? I've removed it so I had access to get in easier, but have read either trim a corner off or pie-cut mod so it's a cut and rewelded bracket. Incidentally when reading about the swap a lot of people seemed to utilise a 17 to 19mm spacer between bracket and block/gearbox but I only needed a couple of washers which may be because I've used a v5 box opposed to the vr6 one, any thoughts?
    Admittedly I didn't get chance to refit filter to check and car is about an hour away.

Toyotec likes this.
  19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If you use the MK3 VR6 front gearbox mount bracket, it will foul the large oil cooler housing on a 3.2 VR6. In the PQ34 or PQ35 car, there is no front gearbox mount, so no issue.
    The work around is to use a thinner EA827 8/16v, 1.8T and 2.8 24v oil cooler set up, to get clearance to run the Mk3 VR6 front bracket.

dodgy likes this.
  20. dodgy

So will need a mk3 vr6 oil filter housing to go on it or the 3.2 one with the thinner oil cooler? Sorry its one of those things I didn't take much notice of at the time. Thanks