Mk2 1.8T to 3.2 conversion help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Marky4787, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

3.2 EA390 engines, have a thick oil cooler. The 2.8 24v uses the same oil cooler, as a 12v, 1.8T and 8v/16v engine. Fit the older cooler on the 3.2 = clearance.

erreesse likes this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Just googled the 3.2 housing, can visualise it now and understand the fitment, I just couldn't remember seeing the cooler part, forgive me for the daft questions, thank you.

3. dodgy

erreesse likes this.
  4. Marky4787

Marky4787 Paid Member Paid Member

Good afternoon

made some good progress on this so far

I have 2 out of the 3 vr mounts (rear and gearbox)

02J box is attached just need the 100mm cups

brought a complete CE2 loom that I’ll get to rubjonny when he’s got some spare time

ECU is ready to go away for coding

having trouble with the mk4 r32 manifolds brought some on eBay but they’ve been lost along the way! Sucks

I’ve done a SAI delete so far

I’ve removed the aux water pump and just after some advice on the pipe that now comes out the block to nowhere, can I just return this to the bottom rad hose?

can I delete the carbon canister? Do I just block the pipe going to the intake?

Anything else I can do away with?

just trying to sort the oil cooler, is the 2.8 4motion the one to go for? As it’s slightly slimmer

And most importantly I’m really enjoying this so far which is the main thing

drove the MK2 on the Drive the other day and had a moment of why am I getting rid of the 1.8t lol actually started looking for another Mk2 for the R32 lump don’t think the wife will let me tho

anyway any advice would be much appreciated hope everyone is well

Attached Files:

Vinnie and erreesse like this.
  5. dodgy

That's the trouble we had with oil cooler, in above post, toyotec points to use the other cooler, I've not had chance to get over and try it yet, life's been busy.
    My mate has a pair of the mk4 cast manifolds spare if struggling, he bought a set before getting the lump which had them on.
    Might be worth keeping Aux water pump, on there for a reason, I wired mine on the s3 engine using a galaxy relay which runs for 10 mins after ignition off, I've also replaced my pump with a mk5 golf one that is smaller and quieter after the original one gave up the ghost.
    Haha, that's what happened here, the s3 lump was destined for the green golf, but then got another as mrs Dodgy kept hers as was, so the white one came along. Green mk2 may be up for sale if want another ;)

6. Marky4787

Ok I’ll get the 4motion oil cooler as it definitely looks slimmer and hope for the best

ok I’ll bang the aux pump back on, was thinking I wouldn’t need it as it’s just a weekend car and won’t ever be a daily so thought it’ll handle not needing it

please ask your mate how much he wants for the manifolds and I’ll have them

green golf you say lol maybe I could buy another for the right place

7. dodgy

The pump circulates the water when switched off so cools properly, no hotspots. Wiring the relay was pretty simple, 4 wires from memory, hardest bit was finding a holder for it, but swiped a mk3 one and used that. I'll find the relay number for you.
    I'll message mate and check about the manifold, I'll pm when hear from him.

8. dodgy

Screenshot_20211119-220820_eBay.jpg
    That's what I used, and think it was this wiring, I've been doing loads of loom diagrams, and may be this 16373599927901124214910330600616.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  9. Marky4787

Thanks for your help, if we ever catch up beers are on me, I've just brought another mk2!! god help me, wife was ok about it to! so more projects now, hopefully will have a 1.8t mk2 and a 3.2 mk2 within a couple years

Just need to plant me a money tree..............

Vinnie and dodgy like this.
  10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

another way to do it is wire in a VR6 fan control module, you can add the vr6 4 pin yellow sensor then which also does the dash temp so the original r32 ecu sender can be retained. whatever works, just let the loom guy know which way you want to go so he can do it for you ;)

also if its a MK5 type ecu you dont need a special relay either, there is a trigger direct from the ecu to switch on a dumb 4 terminal which you can use instead

11. Marky4787

I'll go with what would be easier for you to sort for me lol hoping you'll have some free time in the new year :thumbup:

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as you have a mk5 type we can use a standard 4 terminal relay so easy peasy :)

Marky4787 likes this.
  13. Marky4787

Any luck on your friend having a pair of these? :thumbup:

14. dodgy

I'll ask him again, he didn't acknowledge me asking actually. I'll let you know.