mk2 16v GTI metal coolant pipe upgrade options?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dennis10, May 7, 2012.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I spent some time on my car today and was greeted with this: [xx(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As per the law of sods, it is a late spec metal coolant pipe / hose which are nigh on impossible to hunt down nowadays, from what I've found out neither GSF or VW stock them anymore, I've also looked on ECP, ebay and VW heritage, nothing. Neither 2nd hand or new. Part no. I'm looking for is 027 121 065P

After a good while of searching on here it seems it is possible to upgrade to mk3 items, by all accounts the mk3 spec one is easier to fit?! I have no idea though what particular mk3 item I am looking for, what I need to make it fit, if it's not direct fitment and whether I also need certain mk3 coolant hoses in addition? Could anyone help me with this, please? [:$]

If this fails I've been thinking of getting hold of 2 x T-pieces (I've measured up and approx: 19mmx16mmx19mm) and running some flexi silicone/rubber hose around the engine and securing it, I feel this might be a good option if the above can't be found. What do you guys think?

2. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

3. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

the mk3 item would be from the 2.0L 16v ABF engine from the gti, it should be near enough the same shape as to be able to fit easily on your KR 16v, as the basic engine shape is the same.

4. mk216vrick Forum Member

i have used a 9A one on mine. not yet piped up though, just bolted to my cleanly painted and rebuilt engine, so unsure if it is the same, but cannot see it being too different!

here is a poor picture for you to compare if you need, no part number though.

[​IMG]

5. Gambit

9a & kr both use the same pipe. ABF has different number of outlets so doesnt fit.

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Cheers for the suggestions guys - so it appears my options are limited:

Either get hold of a good 2nd hand item

OR

Put together a flexi line (out of silicon or rubber) that will run the same route as the metal line and use T-pieces to connect up the other coolant hoses at either end.

Has anyone managed to delete certain hoses or make them obsolete by routing the coolant in a different way or to make a mk3 item fit, delete/modify the existing rubber hoses/routes?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can use mk3 2.0 8v or 16v one, but you'll also need a few of the rubber pipes from the donor car. it fits easier as the end of the pipe goes over the filter rather than under it, and becasue of this the rubber pipes arnt 100% the same :)

oh, and if the metal pipe is an early one it will have a loop of pipe from the side flange, the mk3 wont have this so you'll also need to fit a late side flange. this loop is the heater matrix bypass for mk2 scirocco so not needed!

this is the only difference between early/late kr metal pipe btw

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Found it ... I think !

After investigation ...

Taking the vagcat part no. from the Corrado into VW (Heritage) Classics the item is available from Germany ... see below.

C051-121-065/C
    (water pipe)

39.10 Available from Germany

Looking at the vagcat pictures of each the only physical difference appears to be the upper mounting bracket angle ... adjacent the tee to the expansion vessel.

(The Golf part is also 5 euros less)

From vagcat Corrado ...

7 027121065P this is the Golf part no. which shows no result in VW Classics

water pipe / F >> 50-N-007 500*
    / KR
    (7) 051121065C

water pipe / F 50-N-007 501>>*
    / KR
    (7) 051121065C

water pipe
    / 9A

HTH`s

9. rubjonny

027 121 065 K - early kr pipe, with extra connection to side flange
    027 121 065 P - late kr pipe, no connection to side flange

027 121 065 P - early corrado kr pipe
    051 121 065 C - 9a and late kr corrado pipe, only difference early/late is the header tank hose as above

037 121 065 J - ABF pipe - 42.32+VAT

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thank you.

Just ordered the 9A pipe from VW Heritage ... 2/3 weeks delivery.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  11. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Thanks for all the info guys, this forum rocks! :thumbup:

What do you think of this item on ebay - it looks very similar to the KR one if I'm not mistaken? Has the same number of outlets, this could be made to fit couldn't it?

mk2 water pipe

12. Gambit

that is for 8v cars which will not fit 16v cars.

13. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I see what you mean, it would sap my 16v of all it's power! ;):p

14. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

but give it ****loads of torque!

15. aid

aid Forum Member

Sorry to dig up and hijack an old thread but this one is where I am with my car too.

Early spec kr but goosed metal pipe. Obtained a mk3 ,abf, one which should arrive monday.

I have the early spec side flange which has the vertical, smaller second outlet. Do I need to replace it or can I just blank it off? Its going in a mk2 scirocco so it would have had the matrix bypass but not sure if Its still not needed like in the golfs.

Tia Aid

16. rubjonny

you would need to keep the bypass ideally, otherwise when the heater is set to cold coolant wont flow out the side of the head as it should. the early kr outlet was made for the scirocco 16v, the mk2 didnt need it but vw just left it in!

I had a similar issue in my 16v cabrio but the other way round, early pipe but late side flange in mk1 chassis. what I did to solve it was hunt the scrappy for a T piece, I found a perfect one in a MK3 automatic. I then used that in the matrix feed pipe and ran it back into the outlet on the metal pipe the header tank is supposed to go in, and ran the header tank to the pipe the bypass should go to (for neatness mainly)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aid likes this.
  17. aid

aid Forum Member

magic! thanks for that. i see what you've done. luckily the pipe arrived with the rubber pipes attatched, turns out the pipe has an outlet that goes to the expansion tank in the mk3, whereas as you know, the sciocco one is fed from the rad.
    so ill bend that pipe round and stick it on the outlet which should as far as i can see acheive the desired result.

many thanks John :)

18. ASH

Ash New Member

Hi All,

Not really an active member but this forum has been very helpful when working on my car so thank you.
    Anyways, I thought i'd share some good news. After months of disappointment contacting suppliers/dealers around the world. I have found the metal coolant pipe 027121065P on eBay! It randomly came up on eBay but they only have 1 left. I received mine on Saturday and though I haven't fitted it yet, it does match the old pipe when placed together.

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATER-PIPE-GOLFII-PASSAT-TOLEDO-1-8-2-0-OE-Ref-027-121-065P-/161096914317?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25821fd58d

Ash

19. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

A bit of a thread resurrection. I’m looking for a replacement metal pipe for the ABF 16v. I assume the part number remains the same as this one but it’s not bringing up any hits on web searches. Can anyone help sign post me to a supplier please? Cheers

20. rubjonny

hello there, yes this the right number but its hard to get these days. you can use a mk3 2e code pipe instead, its same shape except for the bracket near the top which holds it to the block is in the wrong place. it'll sit fine without or you can make a simple racket to hold it to the engine. part number 037121065L.

found a couple abf ones here though:
    https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/037121065j

on ebay you can get a genuine one but its not cheap:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133453465032