Mk2 20vt Intercooler question.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by 1990, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Andy947 Forum Addict

I was under the impression the differences were not to do with intercooling, but to do with the outlet of the turbo, the KO4 being opposide to the KO3 :)

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

The K03 and K04 outlets are in a very similar place. They both exit upwards.

Due to the K04's double intercoolers and extra pipework, I guess it would have made for a messy engine bay if the inlet wasn't round the other way?

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Just to confuse matters further I have got a 150bhp 1.8t tucked in the corner with the TB on the left (N/S) [:s] [:s] but Im not sure what it came out of or the engine code. I believe someone messed around with it as part of a project so Im not sure if the manifold is original, I only bought it to mess around with the head.

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Muppet I may be but at least Im polite enough answer my PMs:o :o .......... :lol:

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Yeah, it might be like Simon Sweetland's MK2 in PVW this month. He's got the same engine as me (agu) with the 225bhp inlet on so he can route his intercooler like Richgit's car.

I seriously thinking about doing this for my front mount IC.

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Ive taken the out let pipe from the turbo over the top of the gearbox to avoid the heat generated from the engine and turbo, the idea is that the lower he air temp is to start with the better. The pipe work is covered in heat reflective material but its defo the cooler route. I want some sort of small air scoop or maybe two in the bonnet but I havent seen any yet that dont look like they belong on a Nova[:^(]

Im thinking about the air ducts like in the Shelby Mustangs but Im not sure how effective they are or if they are mostly for show

7. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I see. Sounds like a good plan. So do you think the guy's car in these pics is a good route to take as it cooler, rather than like the S3 TT's etc? I originally thought it looked a tad messy, but I'm all for functionality over looks.
    http://www.richbroadfield.f2s.com/intercooler/1.jpg
    http://www.richbroadfield.f2s.com/intercooler/6.jpg
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Best to sell it cheap then!!! If its an AGU i'll take it!!!! [:D]

9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Thats sort of the way Ive done it but the air filter pipe goes thought the inner wing where the battery was and takes its air from inside the inner wing. It does look messy but with a little more thought Im sure it could be made to look more of a factory fit, mines purely functional so the sh1tter it looks the better it should work :lol: :lol:

air filter sits under the wing, still needs a cover
    [​IMG]
    Just found this pic of one of the VW cup cars where the intake and boost pipes run over the top of the gearbox
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    Edited by: motorhead

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

You got any other pics of your setup we could check out. I'm always up for checking out other peoples solutions to problems.

11. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Daz i've never had a PM from you send us it again and i'll answer it!! ;) MUPPET :lol:

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I will once its done (dont ask when) I wouldnt like to be responsible for people making alterations to there cars when I havent tested them to make sure they are ok[8(]

13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Just sent you a PM (21.6.04) to ask how the car was going, the last I herd was when it went for mapping so I didnt know if the cooler and set up was ok.
    I think you posted a few weeks after about the conversion so there was no need to send it again.
    I was just a little paranoid after someone said the sprinter cooler can not suitable [:s]
    so things look ok then????

14. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Your like dog sh1t, you crop up every where:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think its a 150bhp out of a MK4 with only a few miles on it, the heads off stripped and flowed but I could be convinced to part with it, if not just to stop you putting that horrible 8v back in:lol: :lol: :lol: ;)