MK2 8v w/ 2.0 bottom end, BHP?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Oct 27, 2005.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before, I've searched thru loads of threads and found nothing.

What BHP would I be looking at if I fitted a 2E 2.0 bottom end with a standard 8v Digifant head? For insurance purposes you see :)

This is a bog std head btw, no headwork or different cams or anything. The main reason is its perfect atm, no smoke or 'owt and I can't be bothered to mess about with it just want to bolt in & go. Later on if it starts giving me gip I'll get a spare head & go to town on it :)

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

No real power gain....maybe 120BHP, decent jump in torque though!! ;)

3. Phil. Forum Junkie

Its all about the torque! Im looking into the costs of this aswell, although I think Id go for the porting and flowing option while you have it off - it makes sense.

4. rubjonny

Cool, more likely to not cost me much/anything extra then :)
    The PB head is better than leaving the std head on there then too :thumbup:

5. chopperoli Forum Member

if you did some head work eg flow work,uprated valve springs and new cam etc it would rev up better and be faster...

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

[:s]

Uprated Valve springs are really un-necessary unless you go for a big spec solid lifter motor with a very feisty cam ;)

Hotter cams are only any good on a motor that breathes freely too (Such as a Pack C or D head!)

7. chopperoli Forum Member

yeah thats what im talking about! that would probably be the best way to makeitfast. unless you go down other routes eg turbo / nitrous etc! it depends on what you want the engine to drive like! My next engine projectis a 2l 8v too but i don't mind it having a 'hot' cam

8. domma Forum Member

ChrisMc?

Do you have any pro's or con's for fitting a DX Mechanical or a PB Hydrolic head to the 2.0ltr conversion.

I'm at the early stage of this conversion and i have both heads at my dispossal onthis project! The DX is in better nick with new valve stems fitted.

i intend to go Big valve and ported on the head running a Kent GS2 Cam as its for road use.

Fly wheel and crank have already been looked at for lightening.

It maybe that a mint original DX MK1 head could get me good funds to buy other bits for the conversion? Who Knows?

Cheers Domma........

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Domma.....

The big difference in the two heads will be what injection you are running it on...

I.E if its going in a Digi mk2 stay hydro, or a mech mk1 then go for the mk1 DX jobbie...

The solid lifter mk1 head will be better if you intend to go BIG revs, but the hydro head will be safe to 7K+revs which is plenty on an 8v. Defo go for a Pack C Big Valve head on a 2L, Pack A is a waste of time...

Lightened & balanced bottom end will help too. Kent GS2 or GS2H cams are both pretty mild, but a sensible choice for road use!

10. rubjonny

Cool thanks lads! The main reason I'm doing it is my oil & water are mixing toether, and I got a 2.0 8v engine for 40 :thumbup:

Thought if I'm having the head off might as well chuck a 2.0 bottom end in there, and it will make it mich easier to fit the PAS kit I've got taking up space in the garage [:D]

Not really after mega power tbh, maybee next year when my insurance is renewed.

11. rubjonny

nother question, if I'm not doing any headwork on the PB head, would it be worth putting it on at all? Does a std 8v head improve the performance/feel of the 2.0 2e engine?

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

Its easier to use the PB head as the throttle switches etc etc will match up straight to the PB loom...as the 2E setup is different :)

The PB head flows slightly better than a 2E as well ;)

13. rubjonny

could I swap the inlet manifold over? Just keepin me options open :)

Edit: Basically thinking if I'm not going to put any work into the head, rather than splitting 2 perfectly good engines can sell mine complete and use the 2e as is. Easier to get it insured too, rather than saying '2e bottom & PB top, prob about 120hp ish', can just say MK3 GTI engine :)

Later on can get a PB head and go to town on it, or just whack an ABF in there [:D]
    Edited by: rubjonny

14. chrismc Forum Junkie

No, dont believe so....

If its going in a Digi, stick with the digi head, nice & easy!

Get a 16v pressure plate for the clutch & plumb the block breather into the rocker PCV line...

Job done! :)

15. rubjonny

Ah I see! Well I'll swap the heads over then. Gonna fit the 2.0 rocker cover & std breather system, I recon my 8v clutch is shagged so I'll need an 8v clutch & 16v pressure plate, or fit the 8v flywheel bits to the 2.0 block?

16. domma Forum Member

Cheers ChrisMC,

I'll go with the DX head then as i'm sticking it in my MK1 with K-Jet.

Got any tips on taking valve seats out of a head?

Also, Which sump is best for the 2.0ltr conversion DX or PB? If i can use the DX sump OK i can flogg the whole PB engine as one unit whithout stripping it.

Cheers Domma.............

17. chrismc Forum Junkie

Just use the sump off the 2L...I.E bottom end "complete" ;)

18. domma Forum Member

No Can Do Mate!

My 2.0L is a AAD out of an Audi, Sump is for the Londitudinal set up!

I'll see which out if the 1.8's is less damaged on the outside and use that i guess.

Domma........

19. chrismc Forum Junkie

Ideal.. :)

20. rubjonny

2 more questions [:D]
    I've read that because the block is taller, you cannot use the MK3 rocker cover? Is this true as I want to use the std rocker cover & breater system from the 2e. Though they may have been talking about 2.0 16v motors...
    I've also heard that the 2e dizzy is not adjustable, if so how do you set the ignition timing when using the std MK2 digifant management??