MK2 8v wont start

Discussion in '8-valve' started by tallymk2gti, Mar 23, 2009.

1. eddiet Forum Member

Have you tried another blue sensor? Could have been sold a dud. Unlikely but worth a shot I'd have thought.

2. tallymk2gti Forum Member

tried another blue sensor yes.. Its starting to miss now. Driving along and it sounds like ts missing every now and again [:x]

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

you may have an air leak somewhere, make sure the inlet bolts are tight. I managed to damage the gasket when refitting my inlet manifold as the gasket tends to slip. Was fine after a new gasket. You will need a decent micro socket set and extentions to get to the inlet bolts.

4. tallymk2gti Forum Member

It starts up fine 1st time everytime now. Just the missing bit now. Dosen't do it often just seams to do it when hot i think its not bad though. Some1 suggested ignition coil

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Coils on these are pretty reliable - it's more likely to be the hall sender in the dizzy.

Still think you've maybe got an air leak. Spray carb cleaner or WD40 around the manifold and intake pipe. If the engine revs change, then you've got a leak.

Are you running the standard airbox and filter? Are the vac pipes all attached?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could be the ignition amplifier, the 7 pin thing bolted to ecu bracket

7. tallymk2gti Forum Member

Original air box & all pipes connected. Need to try spraying WD40 when Cold though lol

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've never had a problem with it igniting - probably safer if it's not red hot though.

9. tallymk2gti Forum Member

The car now is starting no Problem 1st time no hassle. Just when drivin to work it sometimes feels ever so slightly that its eithe missing or something, It feels like a little judder, Nothing major just hope it gets me to Eyemouth ok next week, 180 mile or so (fingers crossed)