MK2 Golf 24V Classic VW Cup Racecar

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mat-mk3, Jul 17, 2010.

1. benthejettaman Forum Member

no i see no problem, the only pipe you will have some difficulty with is the one from the head to matrix, but i think ive explained that one before.
    the only reason i asked is because id seen some 24v stuff still attached

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Phew!:lol:

Im not sure i have all the pipes in green so will try to make the best of what i do have when i pull the other engine. I can swap them over when they are side by side then.
    Yes you did say about the heater matrix, I have noted this thanks:thumbup:

3. benthejettaman Forum Member

dont forget about relocating the aux pump and replacing the core plug on the front of the block

4. mat-mk3

Yep, done both with your advice.
    I have the bracket for the aux pump but waiting to take the 12v pipes off to find where exactly to mount it so nothing gets in the way:thumbup:

Is yours on the road yet?

Today I took it off the trailer as I needed to take the track tyres off.
    Had power to the clocks and didn't expect it to have enough to turn it over but it did and started first time! It's a small GSF battery that came with it. Must be quite new![:D]

5. benthejettaman Forum Member

no its not on the road yet just got a few moinor jobs to do ready for the spring, then it shall finally see tarmac again

6. MCMLXXXV New Member

Wow! awesome progress! its definitely changed alot since I owned it,

The new interior looks amazing! make sure the car stays green! [:D]

the paint code is "22R"

if I remember correctly I had it painted in solid colour base coat.

PS: the colour is called 'Porsche Mint Green'... not 'Peppermint', Porsche lists it as 'Mint Green', no idea where everyone got 'peppermint' from lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  7. mat-mk3

Ha, Wow thanks for that!
    No idea where i got peppermint from either, Better change it[:$]

I would never change the colour! Green is my fave anyway[:D]

8. MCMLXXXV New Member

aslong as you like the colour keep it that way ;)

although because of it's unique colour and numberplate its easily the most recognisable historic "scene" cars lol

maybe sometime in future I'd like this car back once I'm done playing around with old Datsun and Nissan Z-cars lol

9. mat-mk3

So, No update for a while but it was finally time to put the 24v engine in![:s]
    Having never done anything like this before it was a bit nerve racking. I have learnt everything from the internet and this great forum and a few things my dad has learnt from his old MK1's.
    I dont have many pictures as I was busy at the time, But I do have 2 video's (Yes 2!)

One nice weekend we decided just to start...

Taking the front off to get the VR6 out.
    [​IMG]

Its out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now alot of stuff happened that I have not taken pictures of before the next image. Wrapped the downpipe, New engine mounts (Cut rear down by 12-15mm, New loom wrapped and fed in to fit the OE holes in the scuttle.

And then...
    [​IMG]

This is just placed in at the moment. First jobs were to connect the new downpipe to the exhaust and connect the drive shafts. Now that the under body stuff was dealt with we could focus on the engine bay. Connecting the loom to the engine and pipe work, Oh lots of pipe work!
    VR6 fuel pipes just fitted, Bonnet only just fits on the whole thing really and the strut brace is about 3-5mm from the top of the throttle body![:$]

The time came in the week (Between my day job) to give it a go at starting. Had a few problems and it took a couple of days to find out what it was but managed to clear my one and only fault code.
    Swapped a few pins about in the fuse box and was not going for a start but just a quick turnover to test a connection and it kind of started and spluttered and died. But it was the most we have had out of it! Connected everything up as it should be and went for a start with a tiny bit of gas once it had fired and it went straight to tick over. Amazing feeling[:D]
    I did a quick scan of the diagnostics as we have changed the timing chains so wanted to see if there was any problems. Nothing!
    Turned it off as we had no water connected at the time.

So this brings us to today. Wiring finished off, Water system connected using 12V green hoses and pushed it outside to get it to temp and test it all.

[YOUTUBE]ba6cIMFRMn8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]udA7kvra7vM[/YOUTUBE]

Everything works perfect! All gauges read correct (33ohm resistor for temp gauge), Oil pressure is fine, Oil temp was hard as it was just sitting there really. Well chuffed!

Just a few things to sort out. Rattle on the exhaust as I think one of the clamps is loose. Need to bleed the clutch again as the biting point is on the floor! Only managed to drive it to the end of the drive and back to get the oil though the gears. Didnt want to go any more as the clutch really needs sorting first.

But I say its pretty much there. If I had half a day on it I could get it on the road.
    So there you have it, One fault free MK2 24V....And boy does it sound mean![}:)]

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye they do sound nice :)

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Congrats Matt. Sounds great.

12. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

well done matt that is great progress, glad you found it so easy!, lol, give us a shout when you take it out for a spin! i so want a ride in that!

13. benthejettaman Forum Member

congrats mat, will have to yet me know if you take this to any bristol meets as i'll pop mine down as well when it on the road next month

ps the sound these things make is lush

14. TK1

TK1 Forum Member

good work, bet you cant wait to take it for its first drive

15. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Well done Matt, great result!

Look forward to seeing you out on track again soon....Pembrey on April 28th perhaps?

See you at the next Bristol meet :thumbup:

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent!!! Are you taking it to Curbourough?

17. Willber Forum Member

Looks ace [:D] Bet it sounds fierce!

18. russ24v New Member

great work,sounds amazing!!! did you use the post cat lambdas?

cant wait to get mine in now,,

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  19. mike ashman

mike ashman Forum Member

Is it gunna be ready for combe? If so then you can show that transit who's boss! :thumbup: ;):lol:

20. mat-mk3

A few pics i took today, Got to drive it properly yesterday but only on the estate.
    Goes like hell and sounds like it too. Might tax it online tomorrow and take it for a spin!

Had a bit of a setback in the week as i noticed a water leak from the thermostat housing. Turns out that the rubber seal had popped out at the bottom but we could not see it.
    Took the rad out again and took the housing off, Put the seal back in and its good as new (It is new!)

Still got a rattle on the exhuast i need to sort, Steering wheel is out from when i removed the column but other that its perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 3-5mm clearance between the strut brace and the throttle body.
    [​IMG]

Wrapped the manifold, What a ***** to do...
    [​IMG]

Think i need the springs to stop it rattling
    [​IMG]