MK2 Golf 24V Classic VW Cup Racecar

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mat-mk3, Jul 17, 2010.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Track day was great. The Keevil layout was OK, I would prefer a few more coners though but what do you expect for 99.
    Car went great. Did some suspension changes during the day that helped. Only thing we lacked was some throttle pickup in 3rd gear. You could take it in 2nd but it just span the wheels up as it was a little bumpy on the exit. (Its the 2nd corner from the start of the video)

Short video of my last session, They were clearing the pit lane away as i was coming off!
    Watch it in 720p
    [video=youtube;sRXCoyQAq2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRXCoyQAq2o[/video]

2. CQR Rusty New Member

3. mat-mk3

Thanks! Means a lot as i didn't know what it would turn out like.

Just had a new steering rack & pump fitted. So much better, Can't believe how stiff it was before. That should be much better on track now.

Got some things planned this week for it.
    Going for a remap on Wednesday, Hope to get some pictures and videos.
    I also need get the brakes bled properly at a garage as the pedal is not as good as it should be for the setup i have.
    Odd few things to setup wise. Camber, etc

Trackday on the 26th to test it out[:D]

4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Where's the trackday on 26th Mat?

5. mat-mk3

Hullavington with Mororsport Events. Thinking of joining us?;)

6. Joe16v Forum Member

Sounds great! Did you get your jacking point sorted?

7. benthejettaman Forum Member

whos doing your remap mat

8. f2 ed Forum Member

I think this is my all time fav mk2

9. mat-mk3

Not yet:(
    I have the plates ready and had a date set but i was on holiday and was never going to make it, One of those jobs you put off for ages. Its kept dry at the moment so not getting any worse.

South west in car tech:thumbup:

Thanks![:$]

A bit more on the remap. Took it up on Thursday morning and put it on the rollers. Put out a healthy 208bhp.
    However, The torque dropped off quite early about 3500-4500rpm. This kind of explains why im missing the mid range pick up of the engine.
    As Mark has built many looms for these he did a few checks and found that the ECU was missing the brake pedal input. We hope this is to blame for the drop off as the ECU is limiting the torque as it thinks the brake is being applied, Or it does not know if it is. Think of it as a protection system for the transmission.
    I have since wired in a MK4 switch with the 4 pin output and given the ECU the 2 feeds its after. Confirmed working with vag-com:thumbup:

The other problem is we are getting a bit too much voltage to the plugs. On 80% load the plugs get up to 10V which is too much, They need to be near around 5V to be able to map the engine properly. I have bought a new set of plugs and coils. Not sure when these were last changed and noticed a couple of the coils are different. So 6 new ones at 38 EACH:thumbd:
    Changing them tomorrow and hope to take it back on Saturday if all is well after that.

10. Toffs Forum Member

Hi Mat, your Keevil run looked perfect - just what I want to try in my R ! You may remember me from the VW garage, I don't work in the auto trade anymore...

Next spring, would you want to meet up at keevil/hullavington and perhaps show me the basics ? Only track day I've done was at combe, and tbh all those walls and barriers scared the crap outta me! The R is a big heavy lump, and the idea of long 'run off' areas would mean I'd enjoy a track day a lot more.

Do you have to wear a helmet ?

Toffs :)

11. mat-mk3

Hi Chris!

Where are you working now? I was in the local the other day and could not see you, Nice white ED35 in the front though[:D]
    We can do a track day together no problem...As long as your not faster than melol
    Loads of run off on the airfield days, Should be great fun with the power you have. Yes you do need a helmet but thats about it really.
    Keep your eye on http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/ for the dates etc.

12. benthejettaman Forum Member

how have you wired it in matt as you say its given the 2 feeds its after?

13. Toffs Forum Member

PM'd

14. mat-mk3

Hi Barry

This is how you want to do it.

First off, You need a MK4 switch 1C0 945 511 ARDW. This is the new Green switch which has 4 pins and fits the MK3 pedal box fine. Its also easy to install unlike the previous versions!

You wire it up like so:
    Pin 1, +, E/04, & Pin2/clutch switch +
    Pin 2, To clutch switch
    Pin 3, T10e/5 - T121/55
    Pin 4, T10e/4-T121/56 & E/03

This gives the ECU the 2 feeds from the brake switch it requires on T121/55 & T121/56. The clutch switch is easy as you are supplying power from the brake switch and its just the other side of the switch goes direct to the ECU.

To check its all working. Vag-Com the engine and use measuring block 066. In the middle box there are a series of 000000. The first ones are to do with the cruise control. Its the last 3 you need to focus on.
    They sould change to 000011 when the brake pedal is pressed and 000111 when the clutch switch is pressed.

15. Sean_Jaymo Forum Member

Would this same switch work on the corrado pedal box?

16. benthejettaman Forum Member

yeah it would

ps and cheers matt

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Surprised the brake light switch wasn't picked up before on vag com. New vags don't like running without it in circuit and it affects the running of the car. That's why left foot braking doesn't work.
    Been helping someone with the electrical side of their conversions and they need to be connected up. Clutch switch is only for cruise control though.

18. mat-mk3

Did you wire in both pins though russ? Pin 55 & 56?
    I built my loom from the info I had around the Internet and it only said to wire in the 1. I'm not sure if this worked or not as I didn't know about testing it in vag-com.
    Engine seemed to be fine though with how it was!

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I might try to pop along to watch, I'm off that day but Mrs Gaz may have plans for me

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Can't remember exactly. But both pins were made so they see clutch and brake in an 'off' state. As long as brake lights worked it didn't have to include the ECU into the mix.

With it wired like that no left foot braking I'm afraid. Unless you get it mapped out.

Did vag com not have a fault up?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012