MK2 Golf 24V Classic VW Cup Racecar

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mat-mk3, Jul 17, 2010.

1. benthejettaman Forum Member

hey matt have you had this thing mapped yet?

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Not yet mate. Fixed the problems we had but could not get hold of the guy then. Need to spend the money else where on the car now, must get those jacking points welded first.

To be honest it feels like it pulls much better now anyway, just need it to go round the corner quicker.

3. spen New Member

WHoa, the old peppermint mk2, remember this car back in the day when big gord hadit, used to be a regular visitor to mine.. Great to see its still around.

4. mat-mk3

Still alive and very much kicking![:D]
    Im amazed at how well it comes up after a wash. The paintwork is not a brilliant finish but it still looks good!

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Hope to see this is in the new year when mines back on the road - :o

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. mat-mk3

Would love to line up along side my inspiration Gary![:D]

Progress has been slow over Christmas. I was not well and just lost the motivation for it all so it just sat in the workshop...covered in dust! (It still is)
    Early Feb we gave it to the garage next door to us to get the jacking points welded up using the replacement panels. He did a great job but I only have pictures with it after the stonechip & under-seal on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks factory now the under-seal has dried. However he had to remove all the arches to gain access to it all. Oh man this left a messlol
    Since then I have taken all the previous mastic off, cleaned up both arches, A few coats of primer and a couple of Porsche 22R Mintgruenlol. I have to say that this is an amazing match! All that's left is the clear coat but I was leaving that for another day while the other stuff dried. I had to paint a little inside also where the welding had burnt through. A bit of L90D Pastel White and all is good again. Just need to stick the trim stuff back on!

Lots of other stuff, Will take some pictures at the weekend when most of it is finished:)

7. Admin Guest

Love this car, good update.

8. mat-mk3

Cheers buddy! When I built it I kind of compromised between a road car (With little use) and a track car. Not any more, It's a balls out all or nothing weapon! A few changes going on to enhance what I can without chucking more money at it!

9. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

Cool L90D Pastel White proper retro old camper style paint lol, did it cost much or reasonable price to get you mounting points done as both of mine are past the point of no return on the caddy?

10. mat-mk3

Yup, It was the rest of the tin from painting the roof of a camperlol
    It's not too bad inside, However is does not match the cage as that really is white but you don't notice it.

The welding cost me 300. The plates were about 150 together also but good luck finding another pair!

11. G-adams

To the untrained eye but I'll see everything lol.
    Charlotte asked when your next outing?

12. mat-mk3

Hopefully Hullavington on the 7th (Or 8th, Can't remember) but not sure yet. Might be too busy for it but will speak to you next week.

13. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looks much better :thumbup:

14. mat-mk3

Cheers, Hopefully stronger too!lol

Should get most of it done tomorrow. Put the first clear coat on the wings, Just needs a second and then a rub down.
    Tomorrow will be mainly building a centre console support for the gear tower and getting that mounted up. Need to drill holes in the firewall to route the cables.

15. mat-mk3

Did Thruxton, was awesome.

16. G-adams

I'd second that :)

17. kkkacper New Member

Hey mat. I want to send you private message, but I can't because you've got it full :p

great project.. a little bit similar to mine.. maybe with some stronger verve of track days ;)

Could you help me with tacho in my mk II? I have been already after swap on 2.8 v6 24v in my car, I want to save mk II gauges, but we have problems with tacho. We tried all the possibilities that we can and the tacho is still "dead". I know that you've got gauges from mk III, but this is the same way (I've got new type of installation..

Could you tell me how did you make your tacho working? I will be very grateful!! ;)

18. kkkacper New Member

great project.. a little bit similar to mine, but with some stronger verve of track days ;)

btw. could you make your inbox free? Because I can't send you private message and I need your help :p

19. kkkacper New Member

Hey. Could you help me with tacho? I have been already after swap on 24v v6 on my mk II and I want to save origianal gauges.. we have tried all posibilities that we have to make it working, but the tacho is still dead. Could you tell me from which wire did you take the signal or what was the way you make it working?

I've got ce2 electrical, so this is the same with mk2 and mk3 gauges ;)

20. mat-mk3

[video=youtube;oVby92Tkeuk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVby92Tkeuk[/video]

vw_singh likes this.