mk2 golf GTD tuning

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Natedogg, Mar 6, 2009.

1. s1m0n Forum Member

0.8 bar :lol:

I have a tuned one, 3dr MK2 on a K reg, started life as an "eco", put a GTD pump on it with re-furbed (and different pressure) injectors then ran it for 20k miles with the waste-gate wired shut - circa 1.5bar :thumbup: and enough torque to make a Sachs sporting clutch (for a MK2 16v) slip...

They are BOMB PROOF but as has already been said you need to fit a decent inter-cooler, I use a Renault unit (and I run small bumpers), it fits fine.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/ is the best place for info on tuning an other stuff

Mine's done 225k, last 50k has been between 1 and 1.5 bar boost (I've gone hi tech now, I use a bleed valve instead of wire ;) )

Cheers

Simon

2. Natedogg Forum Member

S1mon i think i need to chat with you one evening mate. what injectors are you running? where do i get some? and which renault intercooler? PM me some pics and details if you don't have a build thread. this is my first diesle - had it about 7 weekd now or so and its a dark world out there!!

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Haha is it safe to do with 220k on the clock. There's some out there with something silly like 800-900k on the clock.

4. s1m0n Forum Member

Don't know which Renault, it's just something I picked up that looked "right", it's basically as tall and wide as the space available, it also has alloy end tanks (rather than plastic) and it strapped to prevent expansion/explosion.

Just get on flea bay, search for "intercooler" then click "auction only" results, save your search and check every couple of days, don't be afraid to e-mail the seller for dimensions, something will turn up, mine was a tenner, looked new.

Injectors are stock GTD (or maybe stock eco, I forget) but anyway, went to my local diesel / Bosch place and had a chat with the head guy there, trick is to listen, they tend to know shed-loads about diesels :lol: just tell em what your trying to do then shut your gob and open your ears ;)

Mine were re-furbed, the pintle's were too worn so they were replaced, then the "pop pressure" was set to the spec we had agreed (not far off the stock "window" IIRC)

He gave me a pump seal kit and I re-sealed the pump myself, we (Basch man and myself) had talked about using some different parts in the pump but decided to keep it stock GTD to begin with and see how it went.

Diesel timing is done with the pump position, search on the diesel.net site and you'll find tutorials, that's how I learned.

IIRC mine is set for circa 1mm (maybe 1.05 or 1.1 can't remember), it "cracks" nicely with that much advance (stock is 0.9mm I think) but does not get too hot (EGT and / or Engine coolant)

I don't run any mufflers, just 2" pipe from the down-pipe to the back of the car, I could get more boost (and earlier) if I ran a 2 1/2" down-pipe off the turbo (and a bigger turbo).

I've just not bothered developing it any more as I don't have a silly commute, it's never been on a dyno but when I had the wast-gate wired shut it made enough torque in 4th and 5th to slip a Sachs Sporting clutch meant for 16v... Then it broke 5th gear so I got a bleed valve set-up and reduced the boost a bit.

Wired shut it was making 1.5-1.6 possibly a little more but the clutch was slipping so it does not really count. With the bleed valve I was running up to about 1.4-1.5

Boost is directly related to your fueling and vis versa, if you don't run the fuel you wont get much boost yet if you run the fuel but don't run the boost you'll just make crazy EGT's and lots of smoke...

Everything starts with the pump/fueling, turn up the pump, make a little smoke, turn up the boost, smoke goes away (the extra air is using the extra fuel so it's no longer smoking... They are interrelated, do you see?)

Your's is a GTD so it's got all the right bits to start with, get your a55 onto diesel.net and read everything you can for a couple of weeks :thumbup:

Getting a Bosch place to do your injectors will be between 25 (pop test only) to 120 ish if the pintles need replacing. A pump re-build will set you back anything up to 300 depending on what needs replacing.

If your stuff is all original, the difference is worth every penny but get the injectors done first.

Get an EGT gauge, it WILL save your engine if you listen to what it's saying

Cheers

Simon

5. Natedogg Forum Member

thats all great - just wish i knew what you were saying mate! i don't know of a bosch place around bournemouth way and i'm very sure i wouldn't have a clue what he would be talking about if i went and asked. i've printed off the stuff about adjusting fuelling and modifying pumps and boost needles and stuff and it means nothing to me - i don't know one end of a screwdriver from another - and my mate refuses to touch it!

does anyone know of a good tuner i could take it to like TSR who could help?

i apologies for my stupidity.

6. Natedogg Forum Member

first mod done - a nice cone filter. shocking difference in throttle responce. now have space to run boost hoses from front of car so search for a front mount begins.

7. ryanp Forum Member

sell the old airbox, they fetch a few quid!

8. Natedogg Forum Member

doubt it - got more holes in it than a roll of chicken wire!! lol

9. Mr Big Forum Member

Any particular cone filter or just a cheapo generic one? :thumbup:

10. Mr Big Forum Member

Any particular cone filter or just a cheapo generic one? :thumbup:

11. Natedogg Forum Member

a K&N from a mk2 8v petrol. just did it to see what would happen. its only on loan to see how much space it would create for the intercooler pipes for the front mount.

12. billybob New Member

i have the 1.9 aaz in my mk2 an would love to tune it ,i have been on that gtd american site they sure now what they are talking about only problem is i dont have a clue can anyone simplfy it all

13. Natedogg Forum Member

14. TrackCab16v Forum Member

how do you turn up the boost,

15. Natedogg Forum Member

either adjustor the actuator arm which is a bit hit and miss without fuel mods or get a bleed valve fitted. either way the BOF will limit you to 1bar unless you remove it and block off the hole.

16. TrackCab16v Forum Member

thanks . any body got any pics with showing mods on them , just fancy a bit of 120 brake from a 1.6 oil burner ,

17. Natedogg Forum Member

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php#2

check this page and go to faq section

2.5" turbo back exhaust, blow off valve blocked, governor mod, daiphram turned 180 degrees, smoke screw etc will see you good.

make sure you have a good front mount intercooler, healthy turbo etc..

also consider a 1.9 metal head gasket and arp head studs.

(all of the above i've taken form VWdiesel.net site - not my views and haven't yet done any of the above myself.)

18. LoneWolf New Member

Hey guys, sorry im late,

my GTD went pop just before xmas, so i built a 1.9 AAZ lump and swapped the pump, turbo anmd intercooler from my 1600 onto it, sits at a consistant 1.5bar and has a big black smoke tail behind her wherever she goes.... magic!

19. LoneWolf New Member

Hey guys, sorry im late...

my GTD wewnt bang before xmas, so i built a 1900 AAZ lump and swapped the pump, turbo and intercooler onto it. I see a consistant 1.5bar of boost and leave a nice chewy smogg trail behind me wherever i go.... magic!