Mk2 Golf VR6 Turbo Track Toy winter refurb

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by LadVR, Nov 8, 2023.

1. LadVR New Member

Hey!
    I’ve been on here a while now, bit of a lurker!
    This is my mk2 which I’ve had for 23 years.
    It started out as a 16v with big wheels, leather, stereo, suns etc.. everything a 19 year old wanted at the time.

A year or so later I did my first engine conversion and put a VR6 in. Then over the years it got more performance related to eventually being a track car with a turbo’d VR6 lump in it.

How it started: IMG_0092.jpeg

How it is now:

IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

I’m about to pull it all apart this weekend to refresh the shell and have a list of mods planned.
    The wrap is coming off and I’ll paint it inside and out grey again.

Spec is as follows:

aaa vr6
    Spacer gasket
    ARP head studs
    Garrett gt3076r
    3” exhaust head to tip
    Tial 44mm wastegate
    Forge blow recirc
    Grp boost controller (best mod!)
    ATP clone manifold
    Delphi 440’s
    Custom short runner
    Custom intercooler and larger rad
    4”maf
    Standard ecu with united motorsports software
    Walbro 255 pump
    K n N filter
    Solid front mount, vibratech rear mounts
    External oil cooler
    Bc racing coilovers with diresive valving
    Compbrake top mounts
    Noarth ball joints and extenders
    G60 brakes
    Ds2500 pads
    Gt3 brake ducts
    15” Td 1.2’s with AR1s
    Safety devices cage
    Standard box with quaiffe
    Probably loads more I forget now..

YouTube footage:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    Toyotec, PhilRyder and GVK like this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Oof, that's a bit saucy.
    Grey gets my vote.

LadVR likes this.
  3. daNpy Forum Member

Looks like a serious piece of machinery!

LadVR likes this.
  4. LadVR New Member

Cheers!
    The green wrap was definitely a marmite colour choice! I like it but it’s time for a change.

without the wrap:

IMG_0098.jpeg

I’ve a load of work to the shell to do and the bay as well.

I’ve a pretty painted fully forged 3.0ltr low comp engine which spun a bearing on the dyno some years a go sitting in a container I should probably look into sorting to put in. This engine was just a spare engine I threw in. 5 years later, numerous Ring trips and track days and it’s still going strong, seems a shame to pull it!

I’m looking at trying to move the engine back to move some weight backwards, it’ll involve boxing the bulkhead and chopping the tunnel about.
    The driveshaft on the driver side rubs the chassis mount on fast left corners such as exiting Craners at Donington so I need to address that anyway.

Skool, GVK and Adamss24 like this.
  5. LadVR New Member

Had a good day at a damp Donington on Friday, bumped into some mk2 lads, got some good footage following them.
    Got home and decided to start taking the wrap off but got a little carried away taking stuff off.
    It’ll end up a full refurb now, it’s a little ‘frilly’ around the edges! I’ve not painted in 15 years so to be expected.
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg IMG_0134.jpeg IMG_0130.jpeg

GVK likes this.
  6. daNpy Forum Member

Funny video. There is a lot of people just driving about ain't it?
    And that pit exit on the race line, just doesn't seem about right if you ask me [:D]
    This Nicole lady likes to slide that ass out in the corners :thumbup:

What kind of tires are you driving? They do complain a lot. Still the AR1s?

7. LadVR New Member

Test days have got expensive so you get a lot of race cars testing and seemingly just driving about, I guess they are data logging.

Yes Donny is a bit awkward to get onto the track sometimes. The ideal turn in point is the very end of the dotted pit lane markings where it meets the start of the turn. It puts you right in someone’s braking area, just have to keep an eye out.

I’m on AR1’s which worked surprisingly well in the damp, I was pushing to keep up, I blame Rob as my ballast!

I did have an off down Craners a month before, never got round to checking the alignment, I do suspect something slightly out so there’s my driver excuse!!
    It was an interesting comparison as we were all on 15” AR1’s, it doesn’t matter if you have 200 or 400hp, you can only corner at the same speed.

8. daNpy Forum Member

Yeah I wasn't really happy with the AR1's at first. I know you have to drive-in the semi's carefully so they will also last longer (we're all privateers here), but it was on the third or fourth day they finally stopped screeching around in corners and give me faster times than 10 year old(!), worn-out and hard R888's I compare them to (on the same day!).

I think they need some man-handling before they get into order and start working for real. Ofcourse, I don't drive the high HP you do so there is where they also start screeching due to the higher loads applied.

9. LadVR New Member

I think the key with these is pressure management. I tend to go out do 8-10 laps come in and drop the pressures, do this once or twice and they are usually dialled.
    A mate of mine in an ep3 was saying how disappointed he was with his, he wouldn’t listen to me, I checked his fronts and they had shot up to 48psi!! Funnily enough they became amazing once we put them back down to normal pressure!

10. daNpy Forum Member

I log the tire pressure and temperatures after every session I drive incl weather conditions ;)
    So yeah I know about the pressure sensitivity :) I used to drive Toyo's on 2,1 bar but the AR1's are better on 2,0.

LadVR likes this.
  11. LadVR New Member

IMG_0477.jpeg IMG_0476.jpeg IMG_0478.jpeg IMG_0480.jpeg IMG_0481.jpeg So work has been hectic, my daily Phaeton threw a hissy fit, had to sort that, finally I got to spend a Saturday on the mk2.

Took cage out, removed sunroof, old battery tray, old strut brace, and wiring to the rear.

I’ve a few redundant brackets to get rid of but I snapped my last spot weld drill so I’ll do a bit more in the week.

Sunroof lid is 5kg, the frame and mech 9kg, so 14kg out the roof. I might go carbon yet I haven’t decided

12. daNpy Forum Member

Nice weight saving!
    That cage looks it could use some extra braces though (at least they're not in the picture) ;)

LadVR likes this.
  13. LadVR New Member

Well spotted!! It does have side bars, rear horizontal bar behind the seat, just not in the pic!

You wouldn’t think it but I weighed the box of cage bolts and that came in at 2kg!

I’m going to weld and gusset the cage when it goes back in. I’d quite like to tie the turrets in to the cage as well.

I might be going for a carbon roof, just had a price back, I’m not sure yet. mid be happy with a fibre glass one really as I’ll paint it anyway

14. daNpy Forum Member

Yeah my cage is also approx 45 kg if I remember correctly.
    But it does have the FIA/DMS additions and some improvements we engineered ourselves.

A carbon roof would take the weight down quite nicely but I imagine it isn't really cheap.

LadVR likes this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'd say it wouldn't lose that much?
    The bare metal skin isn't very heavy?

16. LadVR New Member

Maybe..

I was thinking more along the lines of an easy way to plug the hole.

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not pushing on yet I see. BIN that and fit proper pads! Would not run them on an 8v!

Nice build!

LadVR and daNpy like this.
  18. daNpy Forum Member

Hawk all the way baby.

LadVR likes this.
  19. LadVR New Member

I’ve heard a lot of good reviews about Hawk pads. I’ve been looking at aftermarket brake kits, they often come with them.

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Do not need brake kits on a MK2 like that unless you really start pushing on. At this stage, for brakes, just make sure you have good brake lines, Super DOT4 brake fluid, working OE or aftermarket bias system, and good brake pads and sticky rubber for the dry.

The fact your were ok with DS2500 pads, in a high accelerating vehicle, is good evidence you are still getting use to various tracks, corner entry speed is lower than optimum or you are very economical with your braking.
    When you do increase your pace in the dry, pads many of us have used are Ferodo DS3000, CL6. Some who were more extreme have also used Pagid RS blue pads.
    It all depends on what is available for your Lucas/Girling 54mm mono piston floating caliper.

Many of us have been there and get tempted to spend because trackday/racecar/track car.
    But really trackdays are about improving your drive craft. So you update the vehicle as your seat time and confidence develops.

That is my 2p.

LadVR and daNpy like this.