mk2 gti 8v 1991 heating issue

Discussion in '8-valve' started by chunkychimpanzee, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Doddsy Forum Member

I've just changed my old matrix for a new one from ecp 32, also bought new hoses to replace the old ones thereby getting rid of the bypass valves, hoses where 32 and lastly I got a new blue expansion tank cap 3.50 and G12+ coolant and I now have a warm air almost immediately - very pleased.

I decided to take dash out for easy access after many consultations with rubjonny, this is definately the way forward as it enables you to take the blowerbox out in one big piece. I then took the whole thing into the kitchen and properly cleaned/regreased all moving flaps/guides and made new foam gaskets and the result is very pleasing. Only thing I would do with hind site is the rinse the new matrix with boiling water to remove the oily coating that is on it to keep it in good condition in storage - leaving this on resulted in an odd smell (not that bad), which has now dissapeared after a good 500 miles.

Thanks again Rubjonny.

2. Darren Smith Forum Member

anyone hav any idea on this .ive done the flaps with alloy tape but i didnt do the small triangle shape flap at bottom of heater .with heater on it doesent blow very hot air up to windscreen like it used to do befor the flaps foam disintergrated .would this small flap that i didnt cover be the problem .owned many golfs 20 odd years ago an the heaters wer notorious for gettin really warm

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

possibly, the other common fault is the dash vent housing splits away along the back, simple fix run a new bead of strong adhesive and clamp it closed. does mean removing dash though

4. watercooled Forum Member

Check to see if your control cables are closing or opening the flaps fully ,only done 1 mk2 before and that was to repair one broken quadrant gear pay to check that too ,cheers.