mk2 gti 8v 1991 heating issue

Discussion in '8-valve' started by chunkychimpanzee, Nov 28, 2008.

1. chunkychimpanzee New Member

I have no heating in my mk2 golf gti 8v 1991 !! I have no heating in my car and it is freezing on long journies. I have cleaned out the radiator with RAD flush and replaced the coolant but no luck. The heater blows cold!! The heater matrix system requires some attention. Is this a big job, does the dash need to come out? Anyone have any ideas on how I might resolve my heater problems ? Many thanks.

S.

2. garnetteyes Forum Member

Have you tried buying new bypass valves from GSF? They stock them now. A lot of time they are replaced with 22mm copper pipe, this is generally OK but there is a risk of scalding so I'd get the real thing.

To locate the valves follow the pipes into the bulkhead and you'll see two cylindrical units with a thin pipe running inbetween them.

3. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

4. yellowgolfgirl New Member

Hi there, my other half has changed heater matrix's before and says there not that big of a job!! just make sure you bleed the cooling system properly afterwards!! And those by-pass pipes also stop your car from warming up as it decreases pressure in the heater matrix to stop them exploding!! but providing you buy a new heater matrix you shouldn't have to worry bout that happening!
    Hope this helps!?:)

5. yellowgolfgirl New Member

And warms you up! lol:lol:

6. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    gsf part number please?

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

17855 Press Compensating Line G2 27.90

:)

8. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Check the diverter is working its behind the centre console at the bottom, if you stick your hand behind there and move the controls on the dash you will find them, push the bottom diverter as far left as you can with your hand then check for heat, apparently a cog can fall off down there and cause this

9. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

nice.. must have missed that

10. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

No one sells these valves anymore VW and GSF have dropped them.

11. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

thought so, that part number is not listed on gsf

12. Golfamily7 Forum Member

Bypass valves defo, Ui drove my car for 6 months into december before i changed them, should have done it straight away. Hindsight hey.

13. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you dont need them
    vw only fitted them because the early heater matrix where rubbish
    if you have fitted a new heater matrix
    just bin them if thay don't not work
    very early mk2 didn't have them
    this was part of a recall to stop vw from getting sued
    when the heater matrix burst and scolded the owner

14. badvw8v New Member

hi there,iam new to the club.i have heat but no air hardly comes out of any vent even on full.and all my windows steam up, iam losing water too could my heater matrix be leaking? lately my car has been running abit hot to??????????????????????????????

15. garnetteyes Forum Member

While I have used the 22mm copper pipe fix, I really wouldn't recommend it, I have heard of a few heater matrices popping. I know of one incidence which resulted in pretty nasty burns. Remember you're dealing with old heater matrices.

Maybe try a scrap yard? I bought some from GSF less than 12 months ago.

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's very rare for the heater matrix to burst, but it'll get more common as they age - particularly if you end up with a head gasket problem pressurising the system more than it should. If I were you I'd replace the matrix and then bin the relief valve. But as said I've had a billion Mk2s with the valve bypass, the old matrix, and not one has blown the matrix - yet. If you only carry disliked colleagues or no-one in the passenger seat then just leave it - if it's the missus you might want to replace it.:lol:
    Or make any passenger wear wellies.

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

another thing to check is that the hot air flap inside the matrix is actually moving, if you take the centre console, the driver side undertray and the plastic trim piece of the side of the heater box you should see the 3 control cables & flaps, move both sliders and you should see all 3 shift about the place.

18. Dono Forum Member

how long does it take for you golfs to start pumping out warm/hot air, mine takes atleast 10 minutes of driving. where as my mates old sh*ter of an L reg mondeo it litrally 20 seconds of running!!!

19. t'mill Forum Member

Probably due to the Mondeo having a more modern/efficient heating system. My Mk2 GTI takes around the same as yours in this freezing weather

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the better the condition of the matrix the quicker it warms up, also it depends on how hot your engine runs, some warm up quicker than others. Since fitting a new matrix it heats up much quicker, also a new one can get proper baking hot whereas an old one may only be warm.