Mk2 GTi 8V Common gear lever problems?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by carlito, Jul 30, 2012.

1. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

At least getting to the parts is pretty easy compared to modern cars of today where you've got to remove masses of plastic covers to get to the guts of the engine!

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

The worst part is under the gear leaver.
    I detached the exhaust from the down pipe & attempted to remove the gear linkage past the hanging exhaust & heat shield but I found it impossible.
    best to remove the mid section of the exhaust to give you full clear access.

4. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

5. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds tricky..especially doing it on your back on the floor!

Would be interesting to know how much it would cost to have it all done at a decent indi..I'm assuming a couple of hours labour so best part of 120-150 I would think?

6. Chrisrpal Events Team

I wouldn't either bother considering to take my car to garage to that sort of work on it.

I don't trust many people to do a decent job. I got burned by Beedles VW in Bromely many years ago and from then on in did all the work myself even the abf transplant.

I don't have the luxury of using my mums garage pit when I want as have moved house, however I can book a slot in and get to see mum too ;)

So I make a list of jobs that need doing now and jobs that might need doing later and do them all, just saves having to do it for a long time.

It takes nearly as long to do a job as it does to clearup afterwards, such as cleaning tools and putting them back on the rack, putting slats back on pit, cleaning yourself up etc....etc....

As I was doing a full restoration on my mk2 before I moved house I had front and mid exhaust removed so made it easy to remove the gearlever box mech under the car. You'll notice once removed the gearleaver box surround has foam around it. In most cases it's rotten, I just removed and when done (the gearlever ball bearing and bush) I put silicone sealant around the housing and put it back. I did up the 4 bolts slowly and fully did up once the sealant had set. Had no problems with water leaks, saying that you have the exhaust and heatshield in the way so wouldn't expect a lek anyway.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

8. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

9. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

10. Chrisrpal Events Team

Looks good to me.

You also need this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-JETT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a77ad130b

There are two orange bushes, the one on your ebay link is for the one where the steering rack is.

The bulkhead one is inside where gear stick is, see ebay link above as mentioned ;)

You will have to drill out the old pop rivets where the orange bush is mounted on steering rack, then remove metal plate, grease new bush put metal plate back on and put two new rivets back in, or a screw double nutted with a wsher or nylock nuts, up to you. Best you take assembly off car first to do all of this!!

Where this goes:
    see link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-J...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335e62e9c6

There is a U shape where it sits in as above on ebay link, if there is some play in that once new golf gball fitted, put the u shape part in a vice and tighten up a bit, worked a treat for me as those wear inside too. Also where the gear shifter is on the gearbox mount that wears and the metal part can get worn, sometimes does need replacing but you should be ok with that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  11. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

12. Chrisrpal Events Team

See this link, the back lever that is mounted to back of gearbox can wear on the metal parts. You should be ok.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=go...w=211&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:73

On this link, the picture to the right shows a U shape with a metal flap on, this is the U shape I meant. Put that in a vice if it's really worn.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=go...&tbnw=208&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:334,i:209

13. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

14. Chrisrpal Events Team

15. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

16. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

Really appriciate your help people..like I said sorry for sounding dumb but I'm a total newbie to the MK2 but sure when I get stuck into a few jobs I'll familiarize myself with it in time!

Had lots of Beemers over the years so know them well along with a few Impreza's and know them well too!

17. Chrisrpal Events Team

18. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent. cheers mate.

Just noticed that the Tierod kit dos'nt come with the spring for the ball and cup at the gear lever end where as the VW heritage kit comes with it, is this neccesary to change or should the existing one be ok?

19. Chrisrpal Events Team

I used my old one. From time to time when I go to the scrappy I pick some spare ones up. anyway. If you have trouble with your old one I have some spare in my mums garage.

20. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers fella :thumbup: