Mk2 GTi 8V Common gear lever problems?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by carlito, Jul 30, 2012.

1. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

3. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks a bunch for your help and advice fella, much appriciated..:thumbup:

Looking forward to getting stuck in when it all arrives..just gotta set the time aside which is the hardest part! (kids/work etc)

I'ts great to find another forum with helpfull people and advice. I'm a memeber over on www.p1woc.co.uk and over the years it's been invaluable for help and advice and made some good friends along the way.

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

No worries :thumbup:

Alot of knowledgeable experts on this forum. You can use Rubjonnys guide that Dragonfly posted up or if you get stuck just post up another question.
    Without the likes of Rubjonny noway could I have done my wiring loom on the abf 16V conversion. Well worth the 10 in joining clubgti [:D]

5. Chrisrpal Events Team

How you getting on with the gear linkage repair?

6. carlito Paid Member Paid Member

Hi mate

Apologies for not replying sooner...the last month has been manic with the usual mix of kids/work/things going wrong on other cars we have etc!!!

Anyway..the MK2 is running great at the mo and the gearchange is massivley improved over before which feels great when driving it!!

Got on ok with the job really, just tryed to take my time and do it all in order.

I found it easier to remove the centre exhueast pipe in the end and gain accsess to the shift box from underneath the car. I then removed the whole box/lever assembly along with the rod going up to the pinch bolt.

Trying to get the ball and socket thing done in the car was proving to be frustrating to say the least so I found it alot easier to do the whole job with that part of it outside of the car and then offer it all back up and refit the box etc.

I found the alighnment tool really great as just popped it in place and tightened up the pinch bolt. When I went to check all the gears it slipped straight into all of them which was great requiring no adjustment.

I made sure to grease up all rubber bushings especially inside of the big orange ones which support the shafts.

The bits to do under the bonnet were straight forward and easy enough, I managed to get hold of a weighted shiftrod too so have fitted that also.

The only thing i have found after dirving the car for a while now is that when it's first started and for a while while it's still cool, the gearchange is perfect and goes easily into all the gears including fifth.

Once driving for more than 30 mins or so, it gets a very little harder to engage fifth, it goes into it no problem but just requires a little more effort??

Am I right in assuming this maybe something to do with the gearbox oil level and it being thick/thin once the cars running for a while??

Thanks again for all your help on this though..it's a massive improvement over before and the fact it changes into 5th now and did'nt before is great!!

Cheers.

7. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Top your gearbox oil up, sounds like its low if 5th is getting tight. Better still do an oil change. It could probably do with it :)