mk2 GTI r32 swap

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by streetlamp, Apr 29, 2015.

1. streetlamp New Member

Hello everyone, in sure a lot of you have great knowledge, so please help me out. I have a 1990 vw Golf GTI Wolfsburg edition, and I want to put an r32 engine in it, please tell me what I need to do to make this happen!

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

You need the R32 engine, ECU and 2 halves of the loom, VR6 gearbox, conversion manifold and a few other bits. You need to splice your loom with the R32 loom and have the ECU de immobilised.

3. daljsd Forum Member

As above. The ECU is the tricky part from what I have heard. You will need to get some of the lambdas coded out and probably some other tricks to code out communication from other canbus modules not used on this conversion otherwise the ECU may intermittently go into limp mode.

I brought my engine with an Emerald ECU it runs great but needs a good deal of fettling and someone who knows what they are doing with the map.

there is some info in techincal > Engines > VR6 & V6 24V

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ECU is a piece of **** to prep for installation in a pre cat vehicle or one that does not require the immo function.

Then it is as 1990 says.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK4 R32 is relatively easy as above, the MK5 R32 ECU is a bit more tricky as its more picky about not being able to talk to the other car modules but thats codable from what I hear no problem?

other thing is it has no rev counter output wire, or VSS input wire as this is all done thru the canbus. I wonder if you can enable these functions? otherwise theres a canbus adaptor tyo get these signals, or you can try to get the revo out of the alternator by adding a W terminal and converter

Paul 16v likes this.
  6. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member