MK2/MK3 AHU ECU chip connection problem?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by *Alex*, Nov 17, 2011.

1. *Alex* New Member

Hi, I have a mk2 golf with a mk3 ahu tdi engine installed. The cars been running great (remapped to 180bhp/300lbs torque using mk4 parts etc). Until recently it cut out completely and I can only put it down to the chips not being installed correctly insode the ecu, I've looked at every other possibility and this is where the problem has to be. I've got the data that needs to be written on to the nep chips I want to install and I've got another ecu I want to fit them into, just so its a fresh job and nothing can (hopefully) go wrong again. Where/who can I get to do this for me? I'm located in the shrops/west mids area but don't mind travelling or paying someone to come do the job for me.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

2. aidanb22 Forum Member

Open up the ecu and take a photo of the sockets, there must be some people on here who can do that level of soldering.

Is this the same car as on tdiclub?

3. *Alex* New Member

Ok, i've got a pic so i'll upload that as soon as i get home. There's 2 chips, left one reads VI HHH right one reads VI LLL.

And yes, I bought the car from a chap called Ade 'Ourkid' from tdi club

4. aidanb22 Forum Member

Thought so, there is thread on here from that car. Was there a 2nd ecu with the car? One of them was from me

5. m1keh Forum Member

I can probably sort you out, are you still getting a glow plug light coming up?

I can write the chips for you etc. I'm in Leamington Spa west mids and Don't mind coming to help.

Does the second ecu have the same part number and has it been socketed?

6. *Alex* New Member

No i just got the ecu that was in the car. Im buying a second hand unit off a local vw breaker this weekend for the new chips to be put into, so everything's nice and fresh. He's charging me 60. He said the ECU is the same as the AHU and 1Z ecu's are the same, i'll check part numbers when i collect it though to be on the safe side.

m1keh - If you could help me out mate that would be great, ive asked a hell of a lot of people that know their vw's but they've all scratched their head at this. This has to be where the problem lies. As i said,the other ecu is just a standard one off another golf (ahu/1z) so won't be socketed. Also i don't have any other chips for the data to be written on to, just the data files themselves. I can email the data files to you if you want? I'll pm you my number mate, thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. aidanb22 Forum Member

If you try it in your car, you will be able to start it once and once only due to the immobiliser. Don't fit it, drive somewhere and turn it off!

8. *Alex* New Member

The chap that was working on my car said he's tried the ecu already and it started fine. I need to drive the car back to mine tomorrow (2-3 miles), is this ok on the ecu im buying off him? Obviously then i was hoping m1keh could get to work on that same ecu...

9. m1keh Forum Member

It will only start and run for 2 seconds on the new ecu if it has an immobiliser still, although I read on tdiclub you had the immobiliser bypassed, how was it bypassed do you know?

Has anyone tried to connect to the ecu with vag-com?

10. m1keh Forum Member

Or if you can get the ecu immo box and key that should also work.

11. ourkid Forum Member

Hi Alex,

It's a real shame as the car drives so well when it behaves itself!.Because i had this same problem and sorted it by swapping chips, then it came back to haunt you (I keep saying sorry, but i really am mate,i know it's been a nightmare for you, and i can say sincerely that is was not the reason i sold the car and you have been very understanding about it!).I would also be tempted to ditch that old ECU and start again.
    Ruben wrote the files specifically for that ECU after asking me for the part number so i would try to get one that matches (the car was a '97).Then get good quality sockets fitted and use good chips to write to (sorry i'm no expert but am sure someone on here will point you in the right direction for a supplier).Those chips came from E-bay and may be of dubious quality with a short life!.The guys on club Tdi use bits of plastic or cardboard to pack them up to get a better contact but surely there must be a better way of doing it?.
    You are in the right place asking on here though as the help you get will be first class!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  12. m1keh Forum Member

Ade which clocks are in the car? A mk3 one?

13. aidanb22 Forum Member

I bought a mk3 tdi, and after I got the train down "someone had nicked the ecu". We went and bought one from a breaker, fitted it and I test drove it, drove it back to his yard then it wouldn't start again (well start and die straight away) with immobiliser fault code stored

14. m1keh Forum Member

I've never experienced being able to drive it at all with a none coded ecu. Maybe you got lucky though. Problem is if you stall it your then stuck at a junction or similar.

15. ourkid Forum Member

Yes mate, they are mk3, all working ok

16. m1keh Forum Member

Cheers ade, Alex, is the glow plug light coming on in the clocks? If so this is most probably not the ecu.

17. ourkid Forum Member

Sorry to answer on Alex's behalf on this one, we've been swapping e-mails over this for a few weeks now,the car was cranking but no fuel coming through.He's changed the 109 relay,got someone to look at the pump and check the wiring, and scan on vag-com (no faults showing).I thought it may be the Quantity adjuster but suggested he try a spare ECU first.This fired the car up straight away (but obviously runs a bit rough with a standard ECU trying to control a VNT-17!)

18. *Alex* New Member

Yeah big thanks to Ade (ourkid) for all your help over the last few weeks. Even though the car's still not running yet, you've been really helpful mate. Its been difficult though as I'm a mechanical/electrical spastic and Ade lives too far away to come see the car.

I picked the car up lastnight. Its plugged in to another standard ecu as it won't run with the original (remapped) ecu that came with the car. The glow plug light comes on briefly when the ignition is on, and after a couple of minutes of driving starts to flash. I drove it about 3 miles to get it to my sisters house where I can park it safely for the next couple of weeks. It literally only does 30mph. It idles absolutely fine though. Any ideas?

19. aidanb22 Forum Member

Should mean theres a fault code, would be handy to have access to vagcom

20. m1keh Forum Member

Alex, the running is due to the different type of turbo and actuation system your car now has fitted.

As I said in the text, let me know the ecu number of the new ecu and I can check to see If we can use the files you already have for the car or If a new set of files need making due to differences in the ecu's.

Where exactly are you?