mk2 roll cage (fitting page 5)

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Dec 29, 2005.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

your going to have to strip your car now to make up for the extra 27kgs your putting back in :lol:

2. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Cool, will get my finger out and sort out a cage for the green beastie then :)

Alan

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

well done gary, glad you have managed to get a cage sorted, thats the same one as dave has in his car.

It took us a day to fit it, the worst part is fitting it and removing it a couple of times to mark up where to weld the brackets and the cage might need pulling about or forcing into place, esp at the b-pillar mounts as the the parts you weld in are shaped to fit in a particular place, should become clear when you get the cage.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right, i was out today looking at a seat ibiza to buy & the guy is into rallying/night stages etc & to say he had a few locked away was an understatment :lol:, i counted at least 8 in one lockup & another few in the next & most being used for different types of rallys/event :clap:.

Anyway to cut a long story short there was a mk2 tucked away at the back of one barn that he had given to him & after a bit of climbing around i managed to take a few pics of the cage for any peeps interested (ignore the mould [xx(]as it brushed of with a touch :lol:):

[​IMG]

This cage was tight against all the roof & corners & the rear seats & trim were still in the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to the trip i managed to get info on a local guy with a very good name who fits & makes extra's for cages for all the local rally drivers [:D], he showed me a rocco that had extra door bars & diagonal bars added to the same spec as the cage & it looked factory [8D].

These pics aren't of his cages & i only posted it up because of the way the rear half works & hadn't seen it before.
    Edited by: fthaimike

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Weichers/Heigo do cages that go back to the C pillar Mike, I've seen some in Germany :)

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

yeah quite nice & he said it was better suited to his rally as the interoir had to stay.

Are those ones expensive Gary?

8. GVK

Well, Weichers 6 point bolt in is even more expensive than a Safety Devices cage [:|] 600+ !

Not sure on Heigo prices - ask AAT
    Edited by: GVK

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Isuppose it's down to what you want it to do......save you or the car :lol:.

10. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Yeah my Safety Devices Polo Rollcage was about 650 for the full cage. The Polo one was designed for the cupc ar i.e. without the sunroof as stock, so guess the mk2 Golf has cage's for sunroof and non sunroof models, which is pretty cool and a hell of alot easier on you.:p

Your car should look even cooler now Gary! Cant wait to see what actual effect on your laptimes it has comparing to say your vids of donny park or cadwell? Be interesting to know.

Regarding shortening the cage, i think either it shortened or sleeved will pass MSA regs but not FIA regs AFAIK. [:D]Its something like 600 for the FIA certification! :o

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Gary this might sound silly but you & others havehad some luck what with pics of you & the others at track days/ring tripsin mags so couldn't you lot go to a few places armed with these pics/features & offer to have some advertisments ofparts/local suppliersetcon your car in exchange for a small donation towards the car a bit like keith?

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

shame you got one as I may have this for sale soon

[​IMG]

13. barny Forum Member

Gimp !

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

motorhead that looks a bit like the one i put pics up of on the previous page?

15. GVK

16. altern8 Forum Junkie

whos car is that looks awesome [:D]

17. GVK

It's motorheads silver limo. :p

18. GVK

I know you get a fitting kit with a SD cage, but would I be as well to add some re-inforcment to where the front cage is going to bolt through the floor pan, ideal size of plate ?

Was thinking of going up the inner sill then right angled plate covering cage feet area.

Like this.

[​IMG]

What does the 'blue book' say regarding strengthening floor during roll cage fitting or does that depend on what you're competing in?
    Edited by: GVK

19. iguana Forum Member

Blimey that Brians vw garage fella (ftmikes link) wanted some strength in his door bars eh!

[​IMG]

On the cage subject I saw some very serious cages & spaceframes on silly drag cars at Andy Robinsons place today tho, think i'll be in good hands getting my harness bar welded to my bolt in OMP anyway! shame the way ive put the cage in is utter cack tho really [:^(] oh well best to rip it out & do a proper job & not the usual lizard bodge :lol:

20. GVK

They've nicked a bull bar off a local farmers Land Rover and welded it in :lol: