Mk2 tdi conversion questions

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by dave_dub86, Jan 26, 2011.

1. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Hi all,

Since I now have 80 miles a day to travel, my fuel bills have gone through the roof. This has given me the idea of having an economical diesel daily, preferably a mk2, with still enough power and sorted enough chassis to be fun.

I've found a local, mint 1990 1.3 mk2 for sale and I've started my diesel research on the tdi club site (I'm totally new to diesel!). I know theres a couple of directions possible with a 1.9 tdi swap into the mk2; a mk3 mechanical pump tdi (IZ code?) or an electronic pump mk4 tdi (PD code?).

I'd like quite a bit of power (150bhp at least) and this seems easier from the modern PD engines, however the conversion seems a lot more involved, which is making me want to go down the mk3 tdi mechanical pump route. I know bhp isn't everything, but my present cars are fairly nippy and I can't imagine driving anything sluggish again.

Although they are very useful, there is almost too much information on the tdi forums and I'm getting confused with engine code talk, so my questions if anyone can help are these:

What would need to be done to a mk3 tdi to bring it up to (at least) 150 bhp?
    What driveshafts could be used on a mk2 if a mk3 02A box is used?
    Would a VR6 clutch cope with the torque?
    Could a mk4 tdi be run using a mechanical fuel pump from a mk3?
    I like the idea of a widetrack setup, how would this affect driveshaft choice?

Many thanks in advance as always

2. m1keh Forum Member

What would need to be done to a mk3 tdi to bring it up to (at least) 150 bhp?
    Bigger Injector Nozzles and a new turbo and n75 valve with piping from a pd130 or pd150 engine, these turbos will need a custom rear engine mount and a custom intercooler and piping and a remap to suit.

What driveshafts could be used on a mk2 if a mk3 02A box is used?
    I like the idea of a widetrack setup, how would this affect driveshaft choice?
    MK2 16v shafts with 100mm inner cv's or go widetrack using the mk3 golf wishbones and you can use the mk3 golf driveshafts too
    Would a VR6 clutch cope with the torque?
    Fairly easily
    Could a mk4 tdi be run using a mechanical fuel pump from a mk3?
    You won't gain much more power running a mk4 injector pump engine compared to a mk3 tdi injector pump engine. You can't run a pd engine on an injector pump

3. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Great stuff thanks dude, I now have some legible information written down to begin the parts hunt with! Sounds like mk3 mechanical tdi is the way to go

4. aidanb22 Forum Member

The Mk3 TDI pump isn't mechanical, you still have to mount the DBW pedal and sort out the loom.

You can buy a mechanical pump for it, though you will lose the ability to run a VNT turbo without some awful looking home made linkages.

A stock mk3 with decent suspension and brakes, along with nicer interior is not a bad car at all for a daily commute

5. m1keh Forum Member

As Aidan has said the mk3 tdi isn't mechanically pumped. Have a look at ourkid's thread on here if you want to know more, he has done pretty much this exact swap.

6. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Nice one cheers guys, I'm getting lost in information on the tdi forums

7. aidanb22 Forum Member

You need a donor mk3 to do the swap.
    You need Corrado/Passat pedal box
    You then need to get the turbo and injectors suitable for the power level you want.
    Then you need the correct intercooler, pipework and exhaust.
    You need a clutch.
    Then you need it remapped.

Budget 2000-2500 including buying cheapish 2 cars

8. aidanb22 Forum Member

Add brakes and suspension on to that

9. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Why would I need a donor mk3? I thought the mk3's didn't have the immobiliser hurdle to get over like the mk4's? One of my friends who started a conversion (but didn't finish it) works at a breakers so I can source a lot of the mk3 parts there

10. aidanb22 Forum Member

It does have an immobiliser, which is separate to the cluster and requires the key. And you can get running but rusty mk3s for 300 anyway

11. ourkid Forum Member

Dave,

I got loads of help from this site,mainly from the 2 guys who have answered to your post,once i got my head round it i then got onto club tdi,another fantastic site, maybe not for the basics,but a fantastic source of info for tuning.

Whereabouts in North Wales are you?.I've just finished mine,I'm in Ellesmere Port.I can talk you through it,bring a camera.I can even take you for a spin!

12. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Hey man that sounds ace, I'm in dyserth it would be great if I could pop over. Let me know when you're free

13. ourkid Forum Member

I'm on the drive all day Sunday working on the wifes PUG - or any weekend really.I don't really go out that much this time of year!

14. m1keh Forum Member

The immobiliser hurdle isn't too bad, it can be switched off in the ecu.
    I have a spare ECU here which will Run the mk3 engine with a variable vane turbo, it has been socketed so you can easily place in the chips with your remap on and it has the immobiliser turned off so doesn't need any of the immo stuff adding in. For a remap then Rub87 from tdiclub can supply good files for you.

15. dave_dub86 Forum Member

That sounds great m1keh! As I said, I'm new to the world of diesel so this is quite a learning curve. Ourkid, if you could pm me your phone number and postcode I'll try and head over Sunday, I don't think I'm working. Would be very grateful for a look at the mk2, you're a star

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  16. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

or also we have the chester meet on wednesday (see chester section)

I done my first one 6 years ago, using a mk4 VEP TDI engine (pre PD)

the mk2/3 engine mounts work with this engine with a little work, mk 3 stuff slighty easier as everything drops into place

VR6 clutchs have the same part number as TDI's, I went as far as 160 BHP before replacing it with an uprated unit (but no issues the box was out)
    search on here for 02A/J boxes conversions in a mk2 mk3/4 tdi boxes come in these flavours

17. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Hey! Mine`s not rusty! [:x] :lol:

18. aidanb22 Forum Member

Theres no way you got a late GL for 300!

Definitely buy a donor, it will cost you more in time and money buying stuff seperately and you are still left with a shell and reasonably good scrap prices.

I had immobiliser removal on my last one a: because of the ridiculous story involved in buying that car, and b: for possible future conversion.

Looking back now, if I had swapped it into a theft-worthy mk2 i'd want the security, and its cheaper than aftermarket immobiliser.

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Oh, I so did! :p :lol:

20. Baldchap New Member

A moderator on Briskoda.net 'Devonutopia' did a PD100 to PD130 conversion in a Fabia and learned a great deal from it (new loom, ecu, etc, etc & all the associated engine swap problems). I know it wasn't as big a swap as petrol-diesel but there's a lot of info on the thread that would be applicable. Possibly worth a search over there. Would have been about mid-2005 if it helps. :)