Mk2 tdi conversion questions

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by dave_dub86, Jan 26, 2011.

1. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Cheers dude!
    To me, the idea of a mk3 tdi on a mechanical fuel pump sounds the most appealing simplicity-wise, but not being able to run the variable vane turbos puts a power limit of what, 115 bhp?

2. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Mind you, I suppose this would be a better bet for a bit more work

3. aidanb22 Forum Member

Stock turbo is good to near enough 140bhp, and I strongly recommend trying that. It feels quicker than you would expect.

4. m1keh Forum Member

I wouldn't waste the time on mechanical pump when it is so much more work to do with brackets etc to sort out to get it running. It's just as easy and cheap to sort the immobiliser and run an electronic pump. The electronic cars are much more refined.

5. aidanb22 Forum Member

It depends on the budget and timeframe.

With all parts there, you could get a mechanical tdi running in 1-2 days, it'll be a bit more smokey, bit less mpg, easier on the clutch with wastegate turbo also DIY tunable with other turbos/injectors

Electronic, more refinement and mpg, more expense (tuning, vnt exhaust), can run VNT

6. kipvr Forum Member

I'm interested in doing this conversion too as I'm doing 160miles a day and it's costing a fortune...

So can you literally take a Mk3 Tdi engine, with the runing gear and put it straight into a Mk2?

I'd just get the immobilizer sorted and use the electronic pump. Will all the loom plug into the Mk2 fusebox ok?

Sounds too easy!