mk3 16v any good?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by sportline, Jan 7, 2005.

1. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Clive in Corrado blasphemy shocker!
    Assume your VR is tuned then?

2. cliveyp Forum Member

Only mildly. Corrado was a standard '94 M, and ran 186bhp (can't remember the torque), with a dodgy MAF mater, and gave a 46bhp transmission loss IIRC. The Golf has 185 bhp and again, i can't remember the torque, but only a 31bhp transmission loss. The mods that we know to are a Green induction kit (that i hate), and at the time of the RR, it was fitted with a Remus mid section and Powerflow back box (now replaced with a Jetex "high performance" system) It feels a lot perkier to drive than the C ever did, although obviously it doesn't handle so well. You can feel the extra weight of the MK3 making it a bit more of a lumbering lard-arse, where the Corrado seemed more poised and accurate, but, i have to say, the MK3 turns in just as well even though it isn't quite so predictable.

Not quite so much blasphemy, just saying that, although the Corrado is good, it ain't quite all it's cracked up to be! :lol: How controversial! :lol:

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, maybe its better to say 'the golf ain't as bad as its supposed to be' instead, would that be more accurate?

4. cliveyp Forum Member

yeah, OK. The MK3 Golf ain't as bad as it's slating has led everyone to believe! Not once the suspension has had some work anyway. And it ain't slow either! [:D] :p

5. GolfMk3 Forum Member

would you say about as quick as a mk3 16v?

(here we go again.... :lol: )

6. cliveyp Forum Member

Quicker! ;) :lol:

7. sportline Forum Junkie

ok so say i will go for a 16v mk3, are the any speacial editions to go for, i know theres the colour concept which was nice if you got the right colour i.e, not the green with green leather seats or the yellow. oh yea there was the anniversary, to be honest loved the wheels but the seats are rank [xx(]
    are the any others that are a bit better trimmed. air con/leather stuff like that.

8. sportline Forum Junkie

could yu get annis with leather :p

9. alby Forum Junkie

colour concepts only 8v(and vr6 in europe).

no leather available as standard in the anniversarys

when i was looking for a mk3 a few years back i only saw 1 valver with leather and aircon.had a test drive but preferred the vr6 lump so walked away :lol:

Edited by: alby

10. GolfMk3 Forum Member

all mk3 colour concepts are 8v's!

anni's are good, but if you can put up with those seats, you could put up with grating your face with a cheese slice.

It's best to go for the cleanest, lowest mileage example you can find, and not worry too much about options, as the mk3 16v is becoming quite hard to find an original unabused example.

leather is a rarity, and AC seems to be on some later cars only 96' on.

mine had no AC, no sunroof, no leather, but had FVWSH and 2 owners, and was excellent all round.

I did however put on anni split rims, colour concept black leather, and various other bits, but in my favorite colour, dragon green!

11. MrBen Forum Junkie

Not true, '95 on model 8v's certainly had 205's as standard. Not sure about earlier ones though!

12. sportline Forum Junkie

that sounds like a nice one, i supose its easy enough to stick leathers in after i get one. did you have trouble tracking the seats down or are the quite a few about. how much did you pay for the seats?

13. GolfMk3 Forum Member

i saw them on ebay and had to drive about 100 miles for them, they were mint, and i paid 450 for the. i used them for about 6mths, and then when i sold my car, i sold them for 770.

they are very rare though, and ive not seen another for sale lately. My mate picked up a 3dr dragon green mk3 16v, 85k, fvwsh, 2 owners, with optional recaros, a year ago for 2500, and sunroof, cd player and changer, so there's some bargains to be bought!

14. sportline Forum Junkie

yea thats good, theyve really dropped in price in a few years. bet you sold them seats on ebay for that money ey, so your mates recaro's, were they leather arethey electric or heated or anything.

15. GolfMk3 Forum Member

there almost the same as standard front seats (thats the only difference), just with bigger bolsters, different headrests, but same trim.

the seat is actually a recaro seat, so its completely different, buy i dont think my mum would tell the difference :lol:

16. b'locks Forum Addict

LOL dream on. :lol:

17. GolfMk3 Forum Member

doesnt matter anymore, got an ITR :lol:

18. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Mr Ben - Okay, I mean GTIs had 205s and VR6s had 195s. No room for error on here!
    Whatever the performance figures, all mk3s need suspension attention.
    I can go around corners SO much quicker in the R than the mk3 despite the R weighing 25 tonnes simply because the handling is sorted from factory.

19. Edition96 Forum Member

I was always under the impression (from books and VW's own literature) that the 8v GTI came with 195's whilst the VR and 16v came with 205 rubber. However this may have varied from different model years? Anyone know the definitive answer to this Q?

20. sutherlandm Forum Junkie