MK3 16v GTi seems sluggish

Discussion in '16-valve' started by nickh89GTi, Mar 17, 2009.

1. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Could the cam timing being out cause the overfuelling/sooty plugs? I can understand it would cause the engine to be sluggish just wondering if the two could be linked.

Do the two ends of the cams with the chain have marks on them to line them up with each other?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the two cams are linked with a chain and the intercam timing is crucial too.

unless thats all been out i cant see the cam timing being wrong

definately worth checking the cambelt though. thats a 10 min job

3. nickh89GTi Forum Member

So saying that the intercam timing should all be fine its just the relationship between the cam sprocket TDC and TDC of the bottom end. Cambelt was replaced 10000 miles before i got the car so could be a feasible option.

Cheers Matt

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

5. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Thats a great help thanks matt. Lots of pics always help. Will have a good read of it later on.

6. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Just been outside and checked the timing. All marks line up as they should. When i took the plugs out they were wet and sooty. I'm really at a loss now as to what it can be [:s].

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wet is really strange

on vagcom, what does it say youre injector timing is?

8. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Do i check the injector timing with the engine idling? I had just started the car and moved it onto the flat, but surely they shouldn't be wet, they weren't soaked with fuel just felt a little damp.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What about ECU relay? Has that been changed. This has been known to block faults on the ecu.

10. nickh89GTi Forum Member

ECU relay has been replaced with VW item, replaced fuel pump relay but that was a GSF one. My ECU and IAT sensors are both new and from VW also. Hope the ECU temp sensor has gone t*ts up already.

11. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I unplugged the lambda last night and things seem a little better than they were with the hesitation, don't know what colour the plugs are yet but guessing they will still be black.

Its really weird why the plugs are black as the last couple of weeks the cars been doing no less than 31mpg.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i was doing a few things with mine lastnight. worked out that the blank nipple on the servo vac hose wasnt blanking anymore so another blatent vac leak

one short piece of vac hose, blanked with a screw, later and all is well again

what plugs do you have in there?

13. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

has the car been stood a long time? bad fuel?

14. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Can't remember what they are off the top of my head mate but will take one out at lunch and get the numbers off it, got them from TPS so they should be the right ones.

Would air leaks cause it to run rich? Only saying as the black plastic vac pipe from airbox to throttle body has a split in it where i bent it to far and put a hole in it. Is wrapped with insulation tape at the moment.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

air leaks after the throttle will make it run rich as the map sensor will make it think its under load

16. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hmmm so that vac pipe won't be affecting it too badly if at all. When i had the top of the inlet off at the weekend the inlet manifold gasket for the lower bit off inlet where it meets the head looked tired at tatty round the edges but haven't taken the lower bit off yet for a look.

Want to get this sorted soon as poss as i have a chip on the way for it and i don't wanna put it in when it has problems at the moment.

17. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Checked my sparks at lunch and since running with the lambda unplugged they are pretty much looking like the pic below posted by Matt in another thread.

[​IMG]

The exhaust is blowing at the joint where the cat bolts to the downpipe. Last time i had the car jacked up, i had a look at the joint and all the bolts have rusted and cannot get a socket on as they just round off due to being so rusty.

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Those bolt can only be undone by bolt grippers i found. Can't understand whats goin on with your car. Maybe i would double check resistance for water temp sensor and IAT against table for given temperatures to eliminate them.

19. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Will check them later when i finish work.

My cat does have a loud rattle when cold but quietens down as it warms up and i also caught it nicely on a speed bump a couple of weeks ago.

20. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Just a had session with vagcom. Heres what i have found so far as battery on laptop died on me.

With lambda unplugged - at idle:

Outside temp 23*C
    Inlet temp was in the late 40*C's - Hung over edge of wing got down to 36*C - ECU/VAGCOM
    Water Temp 90*C - Gauge
    Water Temp 90*C - ECU/VAGCOM
    Inj Timing - 3.06ms
    ECU Voltage - 13.9

Will do the same with the lambda plugged in once battery has charged a little.

Looking like IAT sensor again, this was replaced for a new vag item not long ago.