mk3 16v. I turn the key but NOTHING happens.. Help

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Vdubbster, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Vdubbster Forum Member

Hi guys,

This morning I unlocked my car via central locking, I put the key in the ignition and turned.

NOTHING happened at all, no attempt at a tick over.

Now this happened before but was down to the battery. This time the symptoms are different.

The digital clock is fine (not reset)
    The lights and radio are fine.
    The battery has full charge, it has an indicator on it. And to be sure i put leads onto it form my mates running car.

I have had a quick search but didnt find answers, I have tapped the starter motor but this does nothing. could this be a relay issue? or any other electrical issue?

I would appreciate any rapid replies as I really need my car running

Thank you.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

See if you can find a wire going to the starter motor solenoid, and give it a wiggle where it connects. Will be a relatively thin wire compared to the main starter motor wire(s). Probably just a corroded connection there.

3. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

or the solenoid is buggered

4. Vdubbster Forum Member

Here a pic of my Starter, does this look normal guys?

5. Vdubbster Forum Member

6. suttonval Forum Member

most probably the starter solenoid mate. Get someone to push it and try bump starting it. Remember to use 2nd gear! If this works its defo starter, if not could be ignition switch or another issue.

7. Vdubbster Forum Member

what is the job of the solenoid? I will try to bump it tomorrow.

I take it the solenoid cannot be removed from the starter (I have no clue, at all....)

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The solenoid engages the starter with the flywheel. Some starters can have the solenoid replaced (not sure about yours), either way the motor would have to be removed. I assume you`ve checked any fuses/relays that relate to the starter circuit?

9. Vdubbster Forum Member

Nope, i have no idea which fuses/relays are which etc?

any help?

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

You sure??

I thought it acted as a high power relay, as does wiki

"The starter solenoid receives a large electrical current from the car battery and a small electrical current from the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is turned on, a small electrical current is sent to the starter solenoid. This causes the starter solenoid to relay a large electrical current to the Automobile starter "

The high-current connections bottom-right in the pic look pretty manky actually, but that single blue wire is the solenoid connection, I'd think. Edit: Ah, no, maybe that connector behind the corroded big'uns.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  11. Vdubbster Forum Member

I will have a proper look tomorrow and check all connections.
    Aftermarket starter is about 100 from GSF/Euro.

If i bump it and it drives fine etc this is more to back up that its just the starter which needs sorting right/?>

12. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Get someone else to turn the key while you put an ear somewhere near that area. If you don't hear a fairly decent click when the key is turned, the solenoid is not getting it's 'juice' (or has failed, but this is less likely than just a connection prob.)

13. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

its a relay yes, and a solenoid aswell, pushing the starter gear into mesh with flywheel, then turning on starter, hard to believe you and wiki dident mention its mechanical action too....

14. Vdubbster Forum Member

Anyone know which relay/fuse would control the starter?

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Hmm...OK, but it`s main function is to engage the drive pinion with the flywheel.

From the next paragraph on Wiki:

"...When low-current power from the starting battery is applied to the starter solenoid, usually through a key-operated switch, it pushes out the drive pinion on the starter driveshaft and meshes the pinion with the ring gear on the flywheel of the engine...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  16. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:lol: Hmmm...both functions would seem to be equally vital to me. Without the low-current energisation of it's coil, it won't do either though.

17. miggs2002 Forum Member

i have just recently had this same problem on my mk2 valve, turned out to be the solenoid on the starter, got a brand new solenoid fitted for 20 and while i was there got the brushes done in the starter itself for an extra 30, no way i was paying ECP prices, i got mine done at an auto leccy garage!

i would however check the connection on the starter though it looks a bit grenn on that pic, undo the nut get the wire free from the starter and either sand paper the connector or wire brush it then do the same for the point it bolts to, when refitting smear a little copper grease on the connector or vasaline, whichever you have handy!

18. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Ignition Barrell? have you tried bridging the stater from the battery, it needs +12v at the spade aswell as the 13mm bolt on terminal.

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

Agreed, worked for me ... also include your battery & earths.

20. miggs2002 Forum Member

yeh work your way from the battery to the alternator checking all connections on route, it may also be worth checkin the connections on the coil too!