MK3 Golf 1.9 D - alternator help pls

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by mk3golf19d, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mk3golf19d New Member

Hi guys!

Wondering if someone could assist me with this one.

I have a 1Y engine code Golf and in need of replacement alternator but for some reason, my local VW dealer won't provide me with it and i'm stuck. The sticker has come off the housing so i'm a lil bit lumbered! [:^(]

Thanks in advance for any help provided and if i need to provide reg or any other info, i'll gladly re-post :thumbup:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are 2 types of mk3 big block alternator, the early type with 1 round hole at the top, and a slotted hole at the bottom, the other type has 2 round holes, top and bottom. early type is tensioned by a massive spring under alt, later type has a separate tensioner wheel.

have a look in the scrappy for one that has the same fixing as yours. in fact you can convert between the 2 types if you also change the bracket the alternator is mounted to, and put on the correct belt :thumbup:

3. mk3golf19d New Member

Good call. Sadly the scrappy i know (my mate's dad actually owns it) doesn't have any diesel's in with one on mate which is why i'm desperate for the part number.

If anyone can provide i'd be very thankful :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

ah but what i mean is you dont need a diesel one, they're the same for petrol ;)

edit: actually you might have to change the pulley on the end of the alternator for your old one, but apart from that the diesel/petrol models are the same. just as i say there are 2 types depending on the age of the car and if it has aircon or not :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. rubjonny

if you really need it i can get the part number, it depends if you want 60, 70 or 90amp and what age the car is. the early alt is fitted up to chassis code 1H-N-200000, and later one is fitted from chassis 1H-P-110785 onwards

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. mk3golf19d New Member

ok dude. well i've no idea about the ampage... whatever you would advise would be good. the car itself is a P reg (jan 97) so anything after that you need, just ask... 1.9d and thank you for tyour assistance :thumbup:

7. danster Forum Addict

Have you worked out which type of alternator fitment it is yet?
    The one that the alternator adjusts belt tension with a big spring underneath the alternator, or the type that has fixed alternator and a spring loaded idler / tensioner.

8. rubjonny

right that late it'll be the later setup using the separate tensioner pulley. as i say any 1.8-2.0 8v or 16v with the later tensioner type will have the alternator you need, you just may have to swap the alternator pulley over.

Here are a list of number which are listed for the 1Y, 70A:
    030 903 023 E
    028 903 025 G
    028 903 025 GX
    030 903 023 EX

90A:
    030 903 023 F
    028 903 025 P
    030 903 023 FX
    037 903 023 P
    037 903 023 PX
    028 903 028 J
    028 903 018 A
    028 903 018 AX

9. mk3golf19d New Member

Ok dude... so from there i do... what exactly? Sorry for sounding like a dumbass... all i'm really good at is interior fixing! lol [:s]

I believe it's fixed from what i can see mate :)

10. danster Forum Addict

If you are toiling to find one I will have one of the later type with spring loaded idler / tensioner in the shed.
    I can check RJ's part numbers too. :thumbup:

11. mk3golf19d New Member

ok dude... let's see what the rubmeister comes up with and we can take it from there and thanks for the offer [:D]

12. mk3golf19d New Member

got to go sort some stuff out at home but will check back later... thanks for the assistance up to now folks... much appreciated [:D]

13. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

you have to use a diesel alternator as that's where the rev-counter/feed for the dynamic oil pressure system gets it's feed from

14. danster Forum Addict

Very good point there Andy. :thumbup:

I may have diesel ones here anway. The IDI engines do use alt for tach signal. But do TDI engines use the alternator, or are they triggered of the engine management?

15. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

think Johns loosing the plot in thinking you can use a petrol one :lol:

16. mk3golf19d New Member

lol even i knew that *cough* [:p]

hey, might have some part number news in the morning folks... previous owner is contacting me by e-mail... reckons she's got some old documents somewhere and is going to have a fish about for the necessary so... fingers crossed! [:D]

17. rubjonny

you guys obviously dont know MK3 alternators then ;)
    all mk3 petrol and diesel alts have the pin for the diesel rev counter. like i said, diesel and petrol ones are the same. The list of numbers above are all the ones available for the 1Y engine, and are also listed for various petrol engines :thumbup:

18. danster Forum Addict

Not all aftermarket replacement alternators come with the tach pin configured though.

19. rubjonny

hmm maybe, but id say all mk3 aftermarket ones would have the pin sorted though as they're the same across the range. not that i have ever bought an aftermarket mk3 alternator to say either way.

id rather buy a 2nd hand vag alternator from the scrappy than a brand new aftermarket one tho tbh :lol:

20. mk3golf19d New Member

lol sounds like you pair are having a good giggle at least!

e-mail update from previous owner... nothing as yet but patiently waiting. any news, i'll shout right back andn thanks again folks :thumbup: