MK3 GOlf door card removal

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by neath_jmj, Nov 21, 2004.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Water should enter the door and run down the plastic sheeting, thats how they were designed :)

If its only a tear just seal it up with waterproof duck tape it will do the job! If you really want to replace it, just get some decent plastic sheeting. I bought loads for dirt cheap from focus, the stuff designed to be put down when you're painting!

2. neath_jmj Forum Member

Ah rite i was told this by someone but to be honest i wasnt sure if he was right cause he don't know anything about cars! :lol:

I have put a hose on it and its running down in the inside in the corner of the door near to the hinge on the side where there is a rip.

SO is the water running down normal and my only problem is the ripped door membrane?? cany any1 confirm what rubjonny said is correct?

3. StefanVW Forum Member

yes thats correct....its normal for a little water to enter the door....thats why there are drain holes along the bottom of the door so it all drains out.

I've lined mine with flashing tape also and its made a big difference. Flashing tape is like dynamat....but its sold in homebase or other diy shops and used in roofing. It works exactly the same as dynamat but costs a lot less. It will keep the water away from the door card.

4. neath_jmj Forum Member

SORTED GUYS! i think this must be the problem then and not the window seel! there is only a bit of water coming in but with all of the heavy rain we have had its proberly come in more and because of the rip its come in!

SO you guys reckon i should just tape the door membrane with some flashing tape??

5. rubjonny

put a load of waterproof duck tape (the proper stuff mind!) over the rip to seal it then tape it up with flashing tape. That way you know water isn't going to seep in behind the tape.

6. neath_jmj Forum Member

I am gonna take the door membrane off and find out where the water is coming in.

I just dont like the idea of water coming into my door.....it just don't sound right [:s]

I got some duck tape so i will tape the door membrane up good and proper, its a bit of a pain though cause i am in work all day and when i get home it is dark! [:x]

7. rubjonny

I'm telling you its supposed to do that, trust me :)

If you look at the bottom of the door it has holes in to let the water drain, and besides if it wasn't supposed to let water in why did VW fit the membrane in the first place ;)

If it was me I'd just buy new sheeting and replace all of em and make sure they're taped down well.