Mk3 Golf GTi Disappointment #2

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by spadds, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Ess Three Forum Member

Mk4...lesser lasting interior than a Mk3 (buttons peeling at 4 years old etc). A well looked after Mk3 lasts better in my experience.

Mk4...lesser brakes...they always feel weak despite being hopelessly over-servod. Better in 312mm form...but then again, the Mk3 with the same brakes feels better again.

Even worse handling than a Mk3! And you can't add any negative camber easily to sharpen them up. Same suspension kit on a Mk3 vs Mk4 and the Mk3 will invariably be the nicer car to drive.

Mk4 1.8T vs Mk3 16v...the boring drone of the Dyson under the bonnet of the Mk4 puts me to sleep. At least the 16v rewards you for revving it...

The Mk3 isn't great...but I still think it's got as much - if not more - going for it, as a Mk4.

The saving grace for the Mk4 is that the power gains are cheap and easy.
    But that doesn't help the woeful handling and pitiful brakes.

People remember Mk1s with rose tinted spectacles...they were great. In 1980.
    Awful brakes, bendy bodyshells etc.

For me, as a drivers car, the late Mk2 16v will always be the one.
    But I wouldn't want to run one every day when I have to share the road with some 5' f-all Doris in her poorly driven 2 1/2 ton SUV.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

not strictly true. even with a remap and a load of breathing work, a remapped 150 or 180bhp mk4 still delivers power like a diesel. getting it to deliver power properly wont be cheap

3. Ess Three Forum Member

The comment stands though...

Mk4 Golf + 350 for a re-map = 190+ BHP and 220+ lb-ft...which makes a big difference to the way a Mk4 goes, and makes it exploitable by any fool.

Mk3 16v (as it's the comparable output standard) + 2000 (head, cams, fitting, mapping etc) = 190+ BHP and around 160 lb-ft...which needs some skill to get the best out of.

The power delivery of a mapped Mk4 may well be TDI like, but it's more exploitable in every day driving...whereas cams+headwork on a 16v needs the 5000-7000RPM part to work best.

In my view, for my taste, the Mk3 with 190 BHP is the 'more fun' car to drive...but that view isn't shared by all.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

comparable output but it wont be comparable pace, though.

my basically standard mk3 16v has basically the same straight line pace as a mk4 20vt thats on a ko3s and a remap, c.212bhp

half way through we even swapped cars and sure as hell, the mk4 only started to reel the mk3 in at the top of 4th

but then his upgrade was c.400 (remaps vary etc), for that i could get a flowed head i suppose and start gaining power

5. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

OK - being nosey - Matt 82 is that YOU in the left hand photo? Sorry it's not about the subject, just wondered if it is him.

6. bula_82 Forum Junkie

in his signature? haha, no, its not.

i like my 'mk4' (audi a3) mapped power, i've got bored of it over the past few months but i have no issue with it despite it having TDI power delivery - my A3 matches the mk3, i don't know why phil's ko3s was struggling.

i have nothing against mk3's though, i enjoyed driving the fury for the week and have even considered talking my sister into selling the mk4 and buying a mk3, its comfortable enough, reliable enough and its been proved that looked after, they drive forever.

spadds, compared to some of the other stuff you've owned / driven though, an 8v is always going to feel slow - you need to find the fun factor in it as opposed to the speed factor imo.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

haha thats "RickyBobby" from Talladega Nights (as opposed to the Ricky Bobby on Essex CGTI)

im a fair bit better looking :p

as for a3/mk4, isnt there about 100kg difference... that might explain part of it

not had a chase with yours for ages, no one goes out on saturday nights anymore

8. bula_82 Forum Junkie

his is ko3s, mine is ko3, surely that should pretty much make the weight difference nothing to worry about non?

9. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Come on then matt82 let's see what you REALLY look like. Ian stuck one of me on here so bare your bones!!!! (If you dare) - hahaha so I am a nosey ole female.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i actually lol'd when i saw the pics ian put up "here is the golf, i thought it would be a bare a shell, i also found some holiday pics" [8D] the randomness tickled my funny bone

anyway heres me

[​IMG]

taken by my brother on the way to germany

[​IMG]

and be being a lame tourist outside the pistenklause

as for ko3-ko3s, phil has 15bhp-ish extra and 100kg extra weight. power to weight pretty much dictates how quickly a car will get down the road. 100kg is pretty much 13stone.

its the same reason my car will give yours a world of hassle, it weighs less