Mk3 golf vs Corrado chassis weights

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by RobT, Apr 20, 2009.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Anyone know what the relative weights are of a Mk3 golf and Corrado? same engines would be useful to get a feel for actual relative chassis weights.

Also - if anyone has access to jig diagrams - are all suspension pickup points / topmounts at the same places?

Thanks

Rob

2. steve r

steve r Forum Member

This might help Click

Shows:

Corrado VR6 : 1240Kg
    Mk3 Golf VR6: 1155Kg

Corrado 2.0L 16v: 1197Kg
    Mk3 2.0L GTI 16v: 1100Kg

Corrado 2.0L 8v: 1097Kg
    Mk3 2.0L GTI 8v: 1140Kg (seems to much to me)

Corrado G60: 1115Kg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

mk3 a relative lightweight huh :lol:

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Is a corrado really 90kg heavier than a Mk3?

5. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Corrados are very heavy indeed

Early valvers are circa 1100kg

Chunky shell and hell of alot of soundproofing esp underneath

Much stiffer than mk2/mk3 standard, rare sunroof-less shells are lightest and best with extra headroom

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

hmm - thing is, they are also wider and lower, but with a longer wheelbase

probably more aerodynamic / less drag than a Mk3?

do they actually handle better than a golf?

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

the handling is night and day different.

8. Tam Nyakobyashi Forum Member

My Mk3 VR is in the shop right now so I got myself a Corrado VR to use while the work is done. Just doesn't sound right that the Corrado is heavier. The Golf seems to roll and pitch into corners whereas the rado is unconparably better in all areas including acceleration and braking.

9. steved Forum Member

Are you thinking future race / Sprint car, My Mk3 is now 905kgs as a built race car inc the heavy 1.8T engine, Multi point cage and Steel doors and wings. I'll let you know what its like on track Wednesday night i'm testing at Brands Track Evening

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

maybe less drag

i preffer corrado handling to mk2/mk3

just seems to be more planted than mk2 with same mods like koni top adjustables, eibach arbs, poly bushes

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

for better?

12. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

totally

dunno if it's the lower CofG, the stiffer chassis or what, they just drive so much better.

Most of the weight must be the bonnet and tailgate, and the stupid inner skins on the rear quarters. floorpan and front end is just passat, which is basically identical to a golf G60.

13. s1m0n Forum Member

Weights from proper corner weight scales: -

Corrado KR
    stock, 1/3 fuel, sunroof
    Total 1150

MK3 Golf GTi (96MY?)
    Stock, 5dr, sunroof, 1/2 tank
    Total 1235

Some others just for comparison: -

MKII Golf Gti (late)
    1/4 fuel, full interior, alloy & tyre on passenger seat
    L 304.1 R 298.7 Fr 603
    L 192.5 R 199.2 Rr 392
    Total 994.5

MKII Golf GTD (late)
    1/3 fuel, stripped out back
    L 305.3 R 315.3 Fr 621
    L 163.9 R 168 Rr 332
    Total 952

MKII Scirocco 16v
    stock interior, 1/4 fuel, Ashley 4-1, Jetex 2 1/2"
    L 308 R 302 Fr 610
    L 162 R 178 Rr 340
    Total 950

The diagrams you want are on that Russian VAG site, PM me your e-mail an I'll send you the pdf's (there are dozens on the Russian site), the engine cradle points match, the top mounts are closer together (on the C).

I currently have a MK3 (ABF) along with an ABF Corrado (running full "wide track" suspension & ABF managment) the MK3 is not a patch on the Corrado, just no comparison...

Cheers

Simon

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  14. azur Forum Member

Carfolio has some random weights. It says a 1992 corrado 16v is 1097 and a mk3 16v is 1100?! aren't corrado's bigger than the golfs? Mine (5 dr mk3 16v) weighed in at 1137kg on the weighbridge

stock mk3 suspension is hideous. koni TA and eibach's on now with polybushes and it handles as well as any mk2 i have driven, if slightly less responsive due to the increased weight

that sounds a bit heavy mate... especially as my 16v made 1137 kg....

15. s1m0n Forum Member

C an MK3 were measured on the set-up table at Prodrive Engineering (Warwick), the two MK2's & the Scirocco on Spax's Intercomp corner weight scales.

I feel they are reasonably accurate :lol:

The MK3 I picked up was running Koni TA's, H&R springs and poly (which is one of the reasons I picked it up ;) that plus the price!) , my C was on the same when I did the back to back comparison over some of my favourite test roads...

Cheers

Simon

edit, I think Matt82's had his MK3 ABF on a weighbridge, might be worth a PM

16. azur Forum Member

fair do's

Tbh its pointless debating the weights when they have been done under different circumstances and on differnent calibrated scales etc. and the cars are not similar spec

Matt got 1240 with a full tank of fuel and fluids, and that adds an easy 50 kg if you think that 1 litre of fuel is 0.737 kg plus oil coolant etc. I was looking for the kerb weight of my car so it had no petrol in the tank and took off the weight off 4 litres of oil and coolant weight.

Also, my supersprint exhaust is 8 kg lighter than standard, and i have different alloys etc etc

the vw weight of 1265 for a road ready 5 door therefore seems spot on as when i emailed them they said its something like 120 kg for driver, certain amount of fuel and fluids etc etc

As for the corrado, never driven one so not really in a position to compare :)

17. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Did some testing other night in my corrado, handling wise

Used racelogic perf box for data

Managed to pull 1.15G in corners/roundabouts

That is impressive considering limited mods to shassis set up for road driving and ocasional track day, and i'm on heavy 15" G60 steels with 195/50 michellin rubber

I find fixed platform 30-40mm drop suspension like koni/eibach work better than going to low on coilovers

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

good info chaps but lets try and keep this on topic - what I am after is thoughts about the fundamental design differences between the chasses (pl. of chassis is chasses?).

dampers etc make a massive difference to the car but they will do this equally on both cars.

I am starting to think that corrados are not as heavy as some of the figs suggest. It would be handy to post up some chassis dimensions / jig data if possible? why do folks think they handle better than a Mk3 golf? got to be something pretty significant

What do folks think about corrado's being more slippery through the air? I have heard this said about old style sciroccos compared to Mk1 golfs before.

Anyone know where there is a non-sunroof corrado that would be a good basis for a track car (tatty interior or busted engine in other words)?

19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Rob,

The Corrado should better at slipping through the air, as it has less frontal area, better raked windscreen and a narrower and better slanted rear end to reduce wake, than the MK3 Hatch back Golf.
    I suspect a Vento/Jetta to be have a better Cd than its Hatchback sibling too.

These are how the numbers stack up.

My Mk3 VR6 Golf, with A/C and 1/2 tank of fuel weighs 1185kg w/o me in it.

1995 VR6 Corrado with 2/3 tank of fuel weighs 1245kg w/o driver same weighbridge.

Cd of MK3 Golf = 0.34, Frontal area = 2.012 m
    Cd of Corrado = 0.32, Frontal area = 1.84 m
    Assuming tyres are the same diameter, you are running the same gearing and once you are moving the Corrado would require less energy to maintain speed.
    The Corrado feels much solid compared to my VR6.

The same theme happens with the old IROCs vs the bricklike MK1 Golf.
    MK1 Golf 0.43 Cd and 1.86m Front area, IROC 0.36 Cd and 1.75m
    Scirocco ran short gearing as well.

Hope this helps

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

this is good stuff ta. Maybe 40-50kg is the real world diff then. Which is a lot. Still need to check out the jig sheets though for differences in front geometry and a suspected difference in wheelbase.

The corrado is possibly stiffer as it has a front and a rear bulkhead cf. the hatchback design which is a bit floppy at the rear. Much of this benefit is removed when a cage is fitted though. Aero is dead important at fast tracks so thats a big factor to consider.