Mk3 golf vs Corrado chassis weights

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by RobT, Apr 20, 2009.

1. azur Forum Member

Plus, doesn't the corrado have a rear spolier which raises at 45 mph to help push the back end onto the ground? or is that just a myth

[​IMG]

seems like its true!... not sure how much difference it makes thou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEK_XXvtnsc

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Fitted for better downforce @ VS > 60mph and for reduced air flow disturbance at rear.

3. s1m0n Forum Member

Ref your PM, will put em on my photobucket an post em up

That's why I tested "back to back", same spec engine dampers, springs. Personly I think Phat put his finger on it when he said CofG, I think the MK3 has more weight up top which in turn needs more controling.

As per Toyotec, 0.32 for the C, 0.34 for the MK3, mutiplied by frontal area gives a CdA of 0.684 for the MK3 and 0.588 for the Corrado... A big difference.

The MK2 Golf 16v (Cd of 0.34) and the MK2 Scirocco 16v (Cd of 0.38) demonstrate this as though the Golf has a better Cd it also has a larger frontal area so the CdA of the two vehicles ends up being similar at 0.682 v's 0.674. (My cousin and I tested this many times over in Germany back in 87/88, there was nothing in it between his MK2 and my Scirocco).

Yes ;) outside on my drive waiting for me to fit the drivetrain from the MK3 :lol:

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

this is all good stuff - it would be great if you could sort the jig diags as I am dying to take a look at wheelbase and front geometry

sprinting is a bit of an odd discipline as we have very fast tracks like aintree (where top speed and high speed stability is very important) whilst we also have very technical hillclimbs with very slow/tight corners where agility and turning ability is key

as a guide, I messed about with soem aero work on my car last year, nothing terribly cleaver just an engine undertray, sealing up all unused frontal holes and ducting the airflow to the radiator - picked up 4mph through the speedtrap......thats massive from not a lot of effort......so its got me thinking

5. s1m0n Forum Member

Corrado
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Golf 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Golf 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There you go

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

you da man - cheers :thumbup:

7. s1m0n Forum Member

These kind of simple aero experiments can be terribly effective, while it's true that you can spend at MIRA you can also achieve good results with basic tools like wool tufting, coast down and speed trap as long as you pay attention to you the conditions to ensure repeatability.

AutoSpeed is an excellent source of ideas and test methods, this article, http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111110/article.html will give you a flavour, if your prepared to spend some time searching the DIY tech articles you'll find all sorts of gems

edit: You might want to check this thread too, http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176280 some good weight information of Corrado v's MK3 parts

Cheers

Simon