Mk3 Hatred

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by GolfD, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

heyyy a supporter :p

i love mine a lot. i think we should start debating 16v ~ 8v now :p

2. paul_c Forum Member

More valid would be Mk1 Golf GTI vs Mk2 Golf GTI 16V vs Mk3 VR6

3. gorilly Forum Member

you know what the problem is there don't you?

no big bumpers!:lol:

4. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

Superb........:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. gorilly Forum Member

good point!!!

this is what they crashed the fiat into during the crash test
    [​IMG]

you cant see the damage to the fiat in the picture as the fiat literally disentergrated

and if you really want to laugh, look at how they crash tested the fiat 125! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323CXtVxERg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  6. kerrly Forum Member

yep thats pretty much what i think, consider also in late 80s plenty of GTIs were getting stolen and insurance was getting crazy so mk3 definately designed to look more understated and is aimed to be a more sensible car and not strictly a HOT HATCH

7. Neorion Forum Member

Thats pretty much my car there, mine dosnt have the red gti badge and i put a sebring exhaust on her and took the lexarse lights that were on her off.

I love ALL the GTI's i like the way the mk3 "hangs" over her wheels i know there not the quickest but again its my first car so up and up[:$]

Tell me guys the "recaro" seats, are all the mk3 seats bucket seats and you got special edition bucket seats? as i have one seat with recaro on it and the other one the badge has come of and im curious if the p/o glued them on LOL:clap:

8. Neorion Forum Member

Sorry to bounch in here seeing as ive just posted BUT

Coud a driver in a mk3 8v at anytime beat a driver in a mk3 16v i mean what are the real world differences between the 2?

Im talking straight race say mile or half mile, what would be the best distance for the 8v/16v to win wheres the differing power bands.

3......2.......1.....GO!

9. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

I adore my Mk1 Golf. It's my favourite car of all time. Abolsutely iconic. I've never had anything other than Mk1's.

My g/f adores Mk2 Golf's, although she's had seven Mk1's, five Mk2's and a Mk3.

That said, neither of us "hate" Mk3 Golfs. One of my mates has a Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline and it's abolsutely beatiful. Another has a Mk3 GTI 16v and another a Mk3 8v 21st Anniversary. All of these cars are absolutely fantastic motors and I'd be happy to own and drive any of them.

Thing is though, I yearn for my Mk1 and that's the difference. I'd have a Mk3 happily, but I wouldn't sell my Mk1 to get one. Simple as that.

As far as the old 8v vs. 16v question. The 16v is always quicker. At no point in the rev range does the 8v make more torque or power than a 16v - simple as that.

The Mk3 16v in standard form is asthematic - superchip and exhaust really brings it to life. I suspect it was de-tuned to 150bhp to as not to encroach on the VR's 174bhp.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats a nice green one up there.

i stilll like my purple one. its quick enough, cheap to run, ive got new seats about to go in, so will start to lose a few KG.

id like to lose from weight from it, but its not a bad car at all, with the polys on, id like to put it down a good b road with a mk2 and see what the difference is, this thing changes direction like a fly [:D]

11. Grunty87 Forum Member

[​IMG]

This is my favourite. Just another chance to show it off thats how much i love my mk3.[:D] [:D]

12. Robbie

Robbie Forum Member

Nice motor Grunty, proving that mk3's have got some bo**ox..

13. GTXTRA Paid Member Paid Member

probably through visiting the phirm on a regular basis even i have amazed myself on how much i like a well presented mk3 golf.......give it about three years and the 'scene' will be all 'precious'about mk3 just like they have been in the past about mk2's or whether its hood ride or euro look......can never keep up with the beano and dandys latest editorial definitions re whats cool.....assuming they're sober.
    just like everything else in life there are three sorts of cars....
    those u like, those that you don't and.............those you don't/can't/won't understand.

[:D]

14. Winso Forum Member

I like mine, but then I guess that I would...
    [​IMG]

15. eubank75 Forum Member

I like mine too.:thumbup:

[​IMG]

16. VR6gaz Forum Member

i like my VR too porsche D90's on the way soon!

[​IMG]

New Recaros too

[​IMG]

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my car is rock 'ard... just not quite as rock as that one :p

18. VR6gaz Forum Member

I like my VR6 too! still think mk2 is best shape but its all personal preferance

[​IMG]

19. The db

The db Forum Junkie

What seats did you go for in the end Matt?

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

long story so far. got some cheap ridgard items off ebay, but i know someone with an MGB whose car they should fit straight into (has the frame for it already). so i might let him have those.

in the classifieds here someone has a pair of cobra monacos with frames thatll bolt directly to the floor.

so its an idea that hasnt really gotten off the ground yet. i intend to get it done eventually tho