Mk3 misfiring and lacking power

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Baberacer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Baberacer Forum Member

Hi bought the car last Sunday and car was running rough misfiring in every gear struggling to accelerate the rocketing off all of a sudden . Previous owner had not run the car for 3 weeks so thought it might be the reason . However a week later it hasn't improved after been used daily to get to work. The spark plugs and ht leads have been replaced also the starter motor . Has anyone any ideas what could be the problem

2. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

See if any one in your region has vagcom to check for various probs mine was stood for 2 years replaced dizzy as well as the above then all was fine .

3. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Maybe the coil or defo something ignition related.does it rev past 5000rpm?

Goose

4. Baberacer Forum Member

Yeah it revs past 5k it is lacking serious power it takes about 3 years to get it to do 70 mph the last owner didn't have a clue about cars couldn't even fill the v5 out .

5. Baberacer Forum Member

If sat on drive and trying to rev car it just splutters and coughs it struggles to rev past 3 k then all of a sudden it will but still spluttering . When driving I'm having to constantly knock it down to get her to move this will be getting sorted . This is my third golf gti ( mk2 and mk4 ) and this is the only one that doesn't want to run properly . As I posted in a previous post I do have a pipe disconnected and I don't know what is for . It's plugged in behind the water expansion tank and has a rubber tube coming off it with brading on the outside of the rubber hose could this be causing the problem ?

6. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Maybe have a look into the throttle body also and see if it is all gunked up.maybe needin cleaned out.what mk and year is it?8v or 16 v?

7. Baberacer Forum Member

1997 mk 3 16v 2.0l drivers like a 1.4 at the min havent checked the throttle body yet as having to fit all this round working and a 1 year old daughter .

8. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Yeah I kno the feeling.same year as mine then apart from mine is the 8v.you should buy a diagnostic reader or that vag com.not expensive and easy to use.i bought one and plugged mine in and got a code.still trying to get to the bottom of it.they plug in just to the left side of the ashtray.

9. Baberacer Forum Member

Hi yeah I have just bought one as I need to get her running properly then I can get to shows without a problem I'm just bothered it will cut out or breakdown on the way to or from work .

10. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

That's the best thing to do instead of just buying parts and hoping it will cure it.least if you get a code coming up you know where to start roughly.best 36 quid I've ever spent!

11. Baberacer Forum Member

Well that's it I try and do all the work myself as garages charge a fortune if it a women coz they think u know nothing about cars .

12. Baberacer Forum Member

This car was also bought with it typical water leak in the drivers and rear foot wells hopefully sorted that though last owner told me this car is fast yeah right it will be when sorted at the min I'm getting wasted by Saxo s and corsas not good

13. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Haha nothin worse than a Saxo.fair play to you.the garages defo take the p..s whether your a man or woman.i just replaced the hall sensor in my distributor this mornin.cant wait to finish work to go and test it out!

14. Baberacer Forum Member

I can't wait to get my running properly as when I had the mk2 8v it was scary fast so I'm disappointed with this one at the mo she will be up to her full potential when I have finished may chip her don't know yet though . My uncle is the local garage owner and he charges a fortune he once charged 700 to change some locks on a fiesta that I had . So I've taught myself mechanics and do what I can .

15. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Aye the mk2s are seemingly faster than the mk3s.i had a 16v one bout 3 year ago and there isn't much difference between the 16v and the one I've got now.they aren't all that fast but there solid motors.......when they work that is!

16. Baberacer Forum Member

Lol yeah I know what u mean ! Great little cars though worth putting money into mine isn't that rusty so should be good when done will upload some pics at some point .

17. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Aye I got a bargain with mine.av got some pics of mine up.quite nice motor considering I paid 250 quid for it.

18. Baberacer Forum Member

I paid 800 and to be honest if I knew about these problems I would of knocked him down on the price ! Not impressed at all ! He didn't have a clue though the last owner called himself an enthusiast but I honestly can say he wasn't he used and abused her don't know how well u know north Yorkshire but there is a hill called Sutton bank which to be honest is fairly steep it's a 16% hill and it nearly killed the car it almost stalled and that was before I had even got to the steepest part . It struggles on a small hump in the road and don't get me started on speed bumps . Don't get me wrong he plowed about 2k into the engine brakes and wheels but ignored the spluttering .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  19. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Hopefully it's something silly and doesn't cost too much to get sorted then.

20. Baberacer Forum Member

Hopefully just have to wait for my bit of kit to turn up then see what's up will also have to get rid of the cr*p 6x9 from the parcel shelf again put in by last owner think he was having a mid life crisis he was easily late 40 and he had installed them very badly this is what caused my water leak into the car shoddy work don't do stuff if u don't know what ur doing ! Sorry rant over !