Mk3 misfiring and lacking power

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Baberacer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

crank sensor woud be on the list, but before that i would give it a complete ignition service including leads, cap, arm and plugs. also if there is oil on the old leads it needs a rocker cover gasket. get all your bits from here:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk

coils are a common fail, check it over for crackign to the plastic

unplug the lambda probe and see if its any better, same with the hall sender on the dizzy. if neither of those make a difference replace all the vacuum hoses in particular look at the one from the ecu. take all the wiring loom off the engine from the sensors to the big round plug on the front, you twist the plug to release. unwrap it all end to end and look at the wires for heat damage especially the bit that runs to the throttle position sensor/idle switch. you can bin the other 2 pin plug to the black plastic pipe, the one with the black and brown plug. trace the wires to it and cut them out

2. Baberacer Forum Member

Hi cheers for that will defo have a look the disconnected pipe is to do with with secondary air intake previous owner removed and never replaced will this have any effect on the running ?

3. rubjonny

if in doubt remove both the pipes from the throttle body and cap them off, see how it runs then :)

also remove the breather pipe from the inlet rubber boot and cap the hole, leave the plastic pipe venting to air. cap off the little vacuum pipe to the pcv valve too and see how it is (pcv is under the black plastic square cap on the front of the inlet)

4. MikeG New Member

All great ideas, however I had a problem very similar to this for over 6 months I spent a fortune trying to sort it out I replaced.
    re-con distributor with new hall sender
    Dizzy and rotor arm
    new ht leads
    new coil pack
    replaced all vacuum pipes including the really anoying one to the ECU
    I found burnt through wiring on the manifold due to idiot previous owner shoddy workman ship so had to re-solder the loom
    I cleaned the throttle hosing which admittidly was minging and needed a good clean

Anyway the problem still persisted the problem was the ECU relay number 30 in the fuse box under drivers foot well, change it, it costs 14 from VW dealer and even if thats not the problem it is a common probem on the ABF engine, I know its only a relay but if its faulty which it probably is then the car will literally shake its *******s off at around 50mph plus

5. Baberacer Forum Member

Hi cheers for that I will be checking this also

6. MikeG New Member

After reading the above

Its defenately the ECU relay number 30 trust me this is the same problem I had for 6 months +

14 VW dealer will be the best investment you've made

def do all the free stuff as well like checking the loom behind the inlet manifold, clean out the throttle body regularly as these coke up, I clean mine out at every service interval, check all the vacuum pipes for any splits, also the oil breather pipe that locates itself onto the block usually colapses in on itself due to deteriaration over time so check and replace if nessary there onl about 15 from the main dealer too and well worth buying genuine

Please let us know if the problem is fixed!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. Baberacer Forum Member

I will defo be checking this at the weekend again cheers

8. MikeG New Member

If you want to give this a whirl, take the Ecu relay fuse out number 30, and take the plastic cap off, you will probably see that its got like burnt connections, give it a good squirt with WD40 and leave it for about 30 miniutes, give it a good clean up with a cloth carefully, then re-assemble it, plug it in and take the car for a spin, this should cure it for a short period at least until you replace it.

Vw only take 1 working day for delivery which is really good if its not on stock.

9. azur Forum Member

10. Baberacer Forum Member

Sounds like these cars had issues lol thanks every one for your advise will keep you all posted as to what happens .

11. Baberacer Forum Member

This car defiantly has issues sprung an unidentifable oil leak . Too big a job to do me sen as don't have a ramp so off to garage next week . It doesn't over heat or anything just dripping oil from underneath somewhere . Got a new relay so hopefully this will sort out the misfire and new spark plugs . On the bonus side I have just got a sweet new interior mulberry full leather .

12. rubjonny

have a look at the oil pressure switches, common prob and easy fix. pop the rubber boots off, if full of oil theres ya problem! just over 10 from vw. they're on top of the oil filter housing :)

13. EMJAYS Paid Member Paid Member

mine just started having this exact prob at 1330 hrs in manchester played up for the 80 mile home journey looking at it tomorrow will post if i cure mine
    mine has been diagnosed with intermitant earth fault at lamba sensor giving bad readings to ecu and causing over fueling

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  14. Baberacer Forum Member

Yeah please do I have a new 30 relay and have discovered that it is my oil pressure switches the back on is covered in oil so will replace both . How hard a job is this ?

15. rubjonny

just need a spanner/socket big enough to undo and do em back up again, simples! do this while engine is cold, otherwise you may loose a bit of oil out the hole. these are the numbers from VW:
    028 919 081 H - oil pressure switch, 0.3bar, blue - 10.23 (your old one may be black or brown)
    056 919 081 - oil pressure switch, 1.8bar, white - 10.23

16. Baberacer Forum Member

Cheers yeah I've already got them on the way my car should be running a lot better tomorrow as I have also found a leaking o ring in the dizzy a worn dizzy cap on two contacts left so all getting replaced tomorrow Will let you all know if this fixes problems

17. Baberacer Forum Member

Hi just an update replaced both of the oil pressure switches and solved the oil leak and replaced the number 30 relay improved the power that is till the back box parted ways with my car tonight and blowing on the manifold so she is off the road now till exhaust is fixed .

18. BreadBin Forum Member

You aren't having much luck with this one are you? :) I hope you get it sorted soon.

19. Baberacer Forum Member

No I'm not ! I sort one thing and another pops up . This car has not been cared for in the past the poor girl defo needs tlc I will get there .

20. MikeG New Member

Mine was the same when I brought her, after a few weeks I wish I had'nt made the purchase the previous owner had just abused her, ive never known a timing belt to be so lose and a car still run! but I love working on cars so I suppose it gave me a challenge, and over 2 years of proper tlc now she runs lovely and looks lovely too! and imo ive saved another mk3 from the scrapper, cause she defenately would'nt of survived another mistreating owner!

Its a put everything into it or just sell it on and cut your losses situation and I choose the long winded route.

[:D]

Glad your working through the issues, cause when shes finally running sweet it will be worth it!