MK3 parts for upgrades

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by thegave, Mar 17, 2011.

1. thegave Forum Member

So I noticed there are quite a few MK3 parts that can be used as upgrades in the MK2, like the top mounts.

Is it worth creating a unified thread with all the parts (and part #'s) for bits from a MK3 that will fit a MK2 and stickying?

I've read that MK3 PAS and alternator setup is also a good upgrade for MK2. Can anyone provide list of part numbers?

Thanks

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a good idea to me :thumbup:

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

There is only one man who should create such thread....

One whose car is basically a Mk3 with a better looking shell at this point...

4. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I have a guess, where's rubjonny:lol:

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

+ve battery cables, -ve with a short extension from battery tray stud to the mk3 ring (B4 passat -ve direct fit)
    fusebox fits 90spec mk2
    99 variable wiper relay and most of the others on the fusebox
    weighted shift rod
    all the running gear inc brakes, engines, box, shafts, suspension, beam etc
    rear subframe fits, front does not (need to fit mk3 engine brackets and mounts)
    gti seats if you fit mk2 90spec bases, mk3 recaros if you cut/reweld leg
    rear seats need brackets welding in at sides plus tweaks
    alt/pas anxileries setup
    steering rack and the 2 pas pipes connected to rack
    steering rack uj (needed if using mk3 or late corrado rack)
    heater matrix
    fuel tank, pump, lines and filter carrier
    steering wheel fits post 88 mk2, pre 88 if you also fit spline adaptor
    master cylinder but not servo
    handbrake lever fits post 87

6. Willber Forum Member

So I can burgle this lot of my Mk3 donor car? Sweet!

Btw, I thought that the MK3 master cylinder has a different fitment to the MK2 pedal box? If not then I will nick this too, saves me buying a new 22mm one :thumbup:

7. rubjonny

master cylinder is same, but servo is not ;)
    be aware some MC on MK3 are 23mm items, which have different fittings to MK2s for the ABS. 22mm MK3 MC is the same as a MK2 16v/g60 22mm one. tbh, just buy this new unless mk3 one is very recently changed. if you want 2ndhand MC though, look at SEAT andPolos up to 2000ish, they use the MK2 16v/G60 22mm mc still but way newer and usually alloy not steel

fuel tank only works on digi cars, or diesel if you get diesel mk3 stuff. k-jet requires proper k-jet pump, which is mk2/corrado only

8. yrmk2 Forum Member

got a complete abf mk3 sitting in the garage and an mk2 pb as a dayly....hmmmmm!

9. Willber Forum Member

Will just buy a new one then! I think I will look into swapping the tank, pumps and lines though as my lift pump was noisy on the car when it was 8v.

10. rubjonny

cool. the tank, lines and filter carrier are same for all petrol models, the pump is different between poverty spec and gti/16v/vr6. 8v/16v gti use the same pump, early vr6 is higher spec. late vr6 switched back to the gti pump HTH

11. thegave Forum Member

So MK3 23mm MC does not fit for MK2 servo?

Alloy MC I assume is lighter than steel? SEAT what, Ibiza? Any particular model Polo?

MK3 PAS/alternator ancillaries - PAS pump, alternator, brackets? Straight fit/replacement? Which belt if to be used with MK2 a/c?

12. Willber Forum Member

Thanks :) The MK3 is a 16v GTi so should be a good upgrade from the 8v digi stuff.

13. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

RJ.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I am sure you will, but are not Mk3 VR6 front strut top mounts different to other engined models?

Why not go further, and include such items as TT wishbone rear bushes?

Or have I missed the point of the exercise?

14. the heater matrix pipes in the engine bay also?

15. rubjonny

the 23mm does fit, just you need to make up adaptors or custom pipes with the right unions on is all.

alloy is lighter but main advantage is it doesnt corrode so badly really, weight not much in it i dont think. pretty much all of em, even the poverty spec 1.4 biza we have has got the 22mm mc. have a looky around and see :)

yeah the whole pas and alt setup swaps over, 1.8-2.0 8v or 167v for a 1.6-1.8 mk2, 1.4 for a 1.0-1.3 mk2. use all the std MK3 belts, the only part of the big block setup you need to match to the engien is the crank pulley, as its different offset 8v/16v. the rest is same on all, you have a couple different setups but any work. oh and ac cars have everythign you need too, just swap waterpump pulley for mk3 non-ac if you dont want aircon. also you can leave the pas bits off and just run the alt belt if you wish

all MK3 GTI, 16v and VR6 use the beefier top mounts, as do the 4 stud models from around 1996 onwards. I covered that in the 'all of the running gear' line I thought. ;)
    we have plenty threads on upgrading to the MK3 GTI top mounts already so didnt think it needed mentioning specifically here.
    Yeah the TT bushes are worth doing too but this thread is purely MK3 stuff that fits MK2, so didn't mention it

yep they do, i kinda lumped that in with the engine bit but yeah, pretty much all the waterpipe etc will swap to a mk2 except the rad pipes. the mk3 rad pipe setup from the block is a nice upgrade for a mk2 also, the metal pipe is a better shape and easier to swap, plus the 8v front flange is nice as it has handy spark plug lead clips and an outlet for the thin rad hose, which neatens the bay up a fair bit. plus mk3 uses a nice rubber hose rather than the overbraid one the mk2 has, just cap off the rad outlet with a bolt in a short length of pipe.

16. squidlegs Forum Member

The PAS pump on my mk2 (90 8v if it makes a difference) is on it's way out.

Is it just a swap over - like, using the same brackets, lines everything or full setup?

In what way is the mk3 PAS an upgrade?
    [:D][:D]

17. miggs2002 Forum Member

i know there is the "widetrack" option, with regards to the rear beam, is the mk3 beam actually wider, would it not be easier to keep the mk2 beam and swap the brakes and stuff over making it 5 stud, then just fit spacers?

18. Willber Forum Member

Yeah I dont think the MK3 beam is actually any wider, people just fit stub axle spacers instead. Obviously the Mk3 beam might be in better condition because its newer, but the dimensions are the same.

19. rubjonny

you need to fit all the alternator bits too, pas pump on its own wont work as the pulley spacing is different :(
    you dont need to change the lines though, the mk2 ones bolt right onto the mk2 pump. but if yours are looking ropey then its a good plan to get some mk3 ones as the pressure line connection to the pump is a better design

some are and some arnt. it seems its the 4 stud ones that are wider! see the rear beam faq kicking around on here somewhere. even if it is bigger theres no real point when you could just use spacers, to convert gti to 5 stud all you do is swap the disc! if the beam bushes need doing then that would make it more worth doing a beam swap

20. miggs2002 Forum Member

i have a mk2 vr daily and i have a mk3 vr that i am breaking on the drive, i have just been sold some quite rare wheels for a bargain price but as they came off a vr they are 5x100, i would rather like to avoid the adapters as going from 4x100-5x100 looks a bit dodgy on the overlap, i will obviously need to swap the front bits over, and as my PAS rack is crap i was going to just drop the whole mk2&mk3 subframes and change it all over, if the rear beams are the same i may as well just swap the necessary part from the mk3 one to my car, cheers for the input guys :thumbup: