Mk4 1.8T clutch

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mono matt, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mono matt Forum Member

Well as I predicted the clutch didn't like the huge hike in BHP and has started to slip today :-/

I'm after some advice on tried and tested replacements other than OEM.

The car is being modified for quarter mile and the odd track day but I also intend to continue using it as a run around. So I'm looking for some suggestions on a replacement clutch kit that will take some stick while being practical for every day use.

Not sure what's currently available for this application so any feedback would be good.

Matt

2. Prawn Forum Member

What sort of power and torque are you running mate? Is it currently on the 02m dual mass?

If it's a 5 speed, as most mk4's are, the best thing you can do is to fit an ABF single mass flywheel and VR6 clutch kit. This gives you a lovely light pedal feel, and can hold in excess of 300lbft without worry. It's also a nice cheap OE solution that's always easily replaced in future.

mono matt likes this.
  3. mono matt Forum Member

Yet to be dyno'd, fitting fmic shortly then another remap and I'll have some accurate figures :-/

From previous experience I would say currently around 200bhp give or take a little. Yes it's a 5 speed, cracking ratios for a standard box I might add :-) but haven't a clue what kits currently in there- OEM I would have thought, was fine before I had it chipped and mapped :-(

Your suggestion sounds good, is that a common way of tackling the problem? Least that way I will retain a usable day to day clutch.

Thanks for your reply :-)

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah that's a common replacement Matt.

Personally I'd go for the Sach VR6 clutch kit, which comes with a brand new G60 flywheel. I've got the same setup on my Mk2 1.8T.

I'll try and find the link and send it over mate :thumbup:

mono matt likes this.
  5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

PM sent :)

mono matt likes this.
  6. Prawn Forum Member

worth noting, if you struggle to find one, the G60 and ABF flywheels are to all intents and purposes, the same part.

It's about the most common clutch upgrade on the 5 speed 20vt. So cheap, and so reliable. It simplifies the whole system very nicely, and strangely gives a lighter pedal feel than stock. No grabbyness at all either.

I ran one with my ko4 hybrid at around 310bhp / 300lbft for a while without issues.

mono matt likes this.
  7. mono matt Forum Member

Cheers for the info guys, doing further research are SMF always noisy? Seems to be mentioned quite a bit.

Also, while I'm at it are there any other mods/ jobs around that side of the motor worth doing? Like EGR/ secondary air system removal and the like? Motors AGU and done 137k.

8. Gup16v Forum Member

not that noisy. I have the G60/VR6 set up on my mk2. And its fine, obviously you will get more vibration/noise from a SMF but nothing crazy :)

mono matt likes this.
  9. Prawn Forum Member

Stock weight ABF flywheel is still 10kg, and basically silent when fitted to an AGU.

You get a TINY bit of noise with a lightened flywheel, but still nothing that you'd even notice.

the rattles tend to be with ultra light alloy flywheels on 02M boxes, particularly tdi stuff.

i run a lightened SMF on my 1.8T with an 02M and really don't notice the noise at all. Infact, the whole 'noisey smf' thing is a topic which really annoys me, as it's totally blown out of proportions by the kind of people who get upset if their idle varies by 3rpm once every 4 minutes.

mono matt likes this.
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

SMF would not have been acceptable the NVH standards for a new vehicle by back then and also now on current new makes.
    The so called chatter you get from fitting is no worse than what many Golf2/3 ABF + 02A/J owners experience and possibly not noticed if you are not that bothered.

EGR- There for exhaust aftertreament and some fuel economy at part load.
    To delete - The will some benefit in keeping inlet ports cleaner. You will also have to switch off the driver diagnostics as well as the check light (MIL) path. This is a pollution device though.

SAI - Functions in the catalyst light off strategy to injecter fresh air into a hot ( from spark retard) and rich exhaust ( running just about richer than stoich), thus causing a thermal reaction on cat face to light off and start converting gaseous emissions.
    To delete You will need the drivers for the SAI relay diagnostics switched off and delete the diagnostic path to switch on the MIL. There are other tweaks that need to be made to disable. Again this is a pollution device though. So you carry out these mods at the risk you car is not MOT compliant.

mono matt likes this.
  11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Sorry to hijack - Eddie and guys; you mention that the gearbox chatter using a G60 flywheel is not that intrusive - Can the same or similar be implemented in the R32 gearbox without intrusive chatter? I ask as I am probably looking to replace my clutch (& ditch the DMF if possible) and never noticed any chatter in my MK3 with an ABF flywheel from Mart.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  12. mono matt Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys, it's helped iron out a few issues.

To be fair as you've pointed out the rattles no biggie in reality, rather a rattle and a clutch that up to the job I guess :-)

Eddie- thanks for the info mate, got me thinking :-/ my mate mot'd it 6 months ago and it took about 20 minutes settle down on the emissions for a pass :-( lambda wires are removed so I suspect a hollowed out cat is present :-/ I'll investigate in a couple of weeks when I'm doing the clutch.

13. Toyotec

R32 box is an 02M though? Or are you using a Bora 3.9:1 FDR 02J job?

14. Toyotec

No problem. May have a 'cat efficiency fault' then.

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Strange thing is, it seems to be the 1.8t guys who go from DMF to conventional flywheel who notice/complain about the 'chatter' but a 16v with the same clutch/flywheel/gearbox will have none!

16. carlg Forum Member

Just to note i have a smf from a ahu TDI (which has the same p/n as an ABF) and a vr6 clutch and it all seems fine no clatter that i can tell in my mk2 golf on a 20vt.....

17. Toyotec

Yup,
    Because the DMF is more refined for NVH. So swapping for a solid part in a MK4, A3 or Seat would increase the NVH of that type of vehicle, where as our buzz boxes we are none the wiser. [:D]

18. GVK

Was a good thread on here previously ref harmonics etc, with Bill showing a pretty major failure of a 1.8t motor.

Worth a search.

19. GVK

20. Toyotec