MK4 Golf fast road/track car. Dyno results! pg12.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by G28OPN, Sep 17, 2014.

1. G28OPN Forum Member

Its a bit far for me too! About 5hrs drive I think [:s] London isnt so bad as my sister lives in woolwich. Would just stay at hers for the night.

2. G28OPN Forum Member

GVK, data logging, what would I need? Something compatible with my mk4 golf and also mk2 golf running dta s40 pro?

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I would say the turbo!lol

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

mk4 - Full VCDS (~300) Gendan UK seller ...but even the 'lite' version using a cheap ebay KKL cable will do enough for what you need, but if you use the lite version it only does up to measuring block 25 IIRC, and to log boost you need block 115.
    If you get the lite version, you can buy a license from Ross-Tech ($99 USD) which will unlock the measuring blocks and give fault code definitions.

License link http://www.ross-tech.com/vca/

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCDSLiteReg.html

VCDS lite is a free download, and the ebay cable can be got for less than 10 to do up to mk4 era of car. It's all I have for looking at VAG stuff, you are limited to not being able to scan mk5 and newer cars and not able to do some of the coding and activations, but for looking at your mk4 it's fine and fairly cheap! Also will scan other stuff such as ABS/airbags/instruments and so on, so a handy thing to have.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/

Use the download for '3rd party/dumb interfaces'

Cable - don't use the supplied software, download from the Ross-Tech site

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3ce445a91f

Very good links about setting up VCDS-Lite http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...tly-vag-com-vcds-lite-with-generic-obd-cable/

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...37-vcds-lite-ecs-obdii-usb-cable-working.html

Once you start using it, any fault codes etc you get are explained on the WIKI page - it's easiest just to Google the fault number and 'ross tech' and will take you directly to the page as there are hundreds of listed codes on there lol

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I tried copying old posts on here last night but it kept failing!

DTA for the mk2 will use the DTA software & cable, so totally different kettle of fish.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    G28OPN likes this.
  5. G28OPN Forum Member

So a moody lap top with the correct leads and software for both?

6. G28OPN Forum Member

Actually, that did cross my mind lol

Anyway, dont be orrible :(

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. G28OPN Forum Member

GVK, thanks for the links :thumbup:

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I use mine on a little Asus netbook on Windows 7. Have used on XP before.

With the DTA I'm not sure if it uses USB cable or serial connector... Eddie/Sparrow?

I have added a bit more to the post, it's a bit jumbled , but hope you get the gist.

On the VCDS lite page there is a link on how to get the thing up and running too.

G28OPN likes this.
  9. G28OPN Forum Member

Thinking about it, I already have a dta lead. I tried to connect a laptop to the ecu but couldnt get it to work. Wrong software I think. But then again, it was probably just me not having a clue about what I was trying to do lol

10. G28OPN Forum Member

Had a quick look. I take it id just need one of the enthusiast ones?

Have to go, tablet needs charging. Thanks again for all the info and links. Much appreciated :thumbup:

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

VCDS and DTA leads are completely different.

VCDS should run on any PC. I've only ever had the original lead, not a lite/ebay version, so there may be other requirements.

The DTA lead is two parts. The lead that plugs in to the ECU is a converter from 15 pins to standard serial 9 pin, and then you need a serial to USB converter. Some of the older cheap ones won't work. You need to make sure it's either FTDI or Prolific based. You will also need to set the ports correctly. If you need a hand let me know.

G28OPN likes this.
  12. G28OPN Forum Member

This is the lead and software that I have,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I tried to have a look at the ecu, but to be honest, I didnt have a clue what I was doing. Toyotec did give me some advice months ago, but I just didnt get what he was saying. Im very computer illiterate lol
    Decided id just wait until its in the car. Then your DTA droid app came about. So hoping that will be enough for me.

13. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

That's the right cable. If you come to Donington, bring the cable and your laptop along, and I can get it set up for you. :thumbup:

14. G28OPN Forum Member

Id really apprecite that mate :thumbup:

On the abf engine, Im running an external trigger wheel. Will the dta ecu show me how far the missing tooth is from the sensor? There is a map already on there, so I was hoping I could at least have it roughly set up and running for when its mapped.

15. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

NP.

I'm not sure what you mean? The sensor must be a fixed distance from the trigger wheel. The sensor will then work. If it's too far away/too close, it won't pick up the teeth correctly, creating a duff signal.
    DTA can't measure the distance, only the signals.

If your trigger wheel is the same as what the map was created with, you should be fine. It it's different, you'll need to adjust the settings in the ECU.

16. G28OPN Forum Member

Sorry mate, i think id need to post pics to better explain it. If pistons 1 and 4 are at tdc, then the missing tooth on the trigger wheel needs to be several teeth away from the sensor, going clockwise. The ecu was used with jenveys on a 1.8 kr if I remember correctly. So I was hoping the ecu might be able to give me an idea as to where the missing tooth should be when pistons are at tdc.

Actually, reading that back even confuses me! lol Will wait until I put the trigger wheel on and post the pics in my mk2 thread :thumbup:

sparrow likes this.
  17. G28OPN Forum Member

Starting to gather some parts for the mk4. Starting with brakes. As suggested, I went for the brembo set-up :thumbup:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Will hopefully be picking up some goodyear eagle f1 tyres next week.
    Havnt fully decided on the suspension but considering it will live mainly on the road, I may just go for eibach springs and anti roll bars with bilstein shocks. Should keep it relatively comfortable on the road and pretty firm for track use. As I have mentioned, its just for a little fun and nothing too serious :thumbup:

18. vr6smith Forum Member

I like those calipers... Very jealous :p

G28OPN likes this.
  19. G28OPN Forum Member

Cheers mate. I bought it all as a complete set-up, minus the brake fluid, for a pretty good price really. If you want the guys number, let me know :thumbup:

vr6smith likes this.
  20. G28OPN Forum Member

Quick question, there are 2 bleed nipples on each caliper. When bleeding, do I undo both at the same time or one first and then the other? If the latter, does it matter which way around?