mk4 golf pd gt tdi130 cold start

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by 8valvedub, Nov 20, 2008.

1. 8valvedub Forum Member

hi now its getting a bit nippy in the morning ive noticed when i try to start up 1st thing in the morning it will crank over fire then die instantly when i try start it straight after it,ll start fine,doesnt run rough or anything-once started runs sweet,just have to start it twice any ideas what this could be?im new to diesels so have no idea:thumbup:

2. 8valvedub Forum Member

i was thinking glow plugs but im not sure about that now as it dosent crank over for long its about normal ,one thing i have noticed is the glow plug light on dash only stays on for like a second or so before it goes out is that normal?

3. 8valvedub Forum Member

ok i got some advise from a guy saying that there could be air in the fuel system.how do i got about bleeding the fuel system to remove any air?

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Thats normal, when the light goes out they are warmed up and you can start the engine. You need to get it plugged into a VW computer and see if theres any fault codes. Coolant temp sensors are common for causing starting problems from cold as they can send an incorrect signal to the ecu telling it the engines at a different temp to what it really is.

5. 8valvedub Forum Member

hmmmmmmm i did think tht ive had vag cag connected and it shows no engine faults do u know where the temperature sensor is on this car as i may try it .[:s]

6. nealey Forum Junkie

take the engine cover off and follow the top coolant hose and you will find it, has a connector with 4 wires going into it

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

It will be in a plastic housing on the head.

*edit beat me to it Nealey*

8. 8valvedub Forum Member

realisticly whats the chances of it being that as it shows no vag com faults?its weird first time in the morning u try starting it it will go to fire then just conk out but when u try to start it again it will start n idle **** for a tiny bit then is fine,what i was gonna ask as im new to the mk4 tdi is do these have auto choke cos even when its cold morning it idles at uner 1k

9. nealey Forum Junkie

Was it just the engine that was scanned for fault codes as sometimes coolant sensor faults are shown in instrument

Off the top of my head i think the idle is somewhere around 900rpm +/- 50 but i could be wrong on that

10. 8valvedub Forum Member

yea done a full scan,but shouldnt it idle higer when cold?

11. 8valvedub Forum Member

again im still having this problem i did a service the other day all filters and oil change thought it may of helped but no its still the same i think its a weird one..the first time i try to start it it will fire n die instantly but on second try its guaranteed to start i just dont want it to get worse.ive scanned it with vagcom and its showing no faults only one it does say is key signal low intermittent,i tried finding the coolant temp sensor but cant for life of me find it does anyone know its exact location on a gt tdi pd130 golf mk4 y plate(2001).also the last few weeks ive noticed my average mpg has droped a bit i know its cold but even when engines warm and i drive carefull i struggle to get to 45mpg i used to see 50-55 even seen 60 any help i would be grateful guys.

12. 8valvedub Forum Member

just remembered something else when i start it up from cold it will run a bit crappy for a few seconds and the revs are under 1k am i right in thinkinking some kind of choke should cut in on cold starts till its warmed up a little? and ive noticed that the temp gauge inside the car stays unmoved for agesit does sit half way like it should but takes a long while to get there.

13. Supercharged Forum Member

Maybe the second stage of the glow plug cycle is not working properly... the light goes out ok before you start I take it?

Key signal too low - change the battery!

14. 8valvedub Forum Member

yes the glow plug light goes out properly,only one time and i must add only one time i looked and it was flashing as i was driving so i pulled over turned it off then back on and was fine,i thought that the cts maybe at fault as im sure the revs should be over 1k on a cold start there not there at normal about 900rpm do u know where the sensor is located on the 130 pd m8?

15. 8valvedub Forum Member

what is the second cycle of the glow plugs ?im begining to think that i got one or 2 duff glow plugs making the first start in the cold hard.any opinions on this assumption?

16. 8valvedub Forum Member

right just been out to the car with vagcom no faults found again but i went on to measuring blocks on the engine on to the glow plug bit and engine coolant temp right firstly my coolant was apparantly 45 degrees on a cold engine and when my gauge went up to 90 degrees vagcom said it was 74 ??also where it says glow plug glow period its got 0.000 does anyone know if that sounds correct at all

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

that would sugget the coolant temp sensor is playing up. try a new one.

also diesels dont really have a auto choke like petrols. they run a little rich but dont really idle any higher.

also try some miller super4 fuel addative, this boost the rating of the fuel and does help with cold starting and it cleans the fuel system out.

18. 8valvedub Forum Member

just as i thought what temp should coolant be on cold?0 degrees i would of thought

19. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

was this from a parked overnight car? should be around ambient temp, on the MVB for temps all should be around the same ( water / air / fuel)
    fuels always shows bit warmer

then watch the temp as it warms up, take a log if it helps

worth noting 2 things
    1. ECT sensors are a known problem with all cars, if you look at it and see copper rust (green) it will be on way out, or the plastic housing / connector in black in colour rather than the newer green plastics
    2. the etc sender has 2 sensors in, the half for the temp guage on dash pod comes very quick up to 90'c and stay there until it gets very hot. the mk 4/5 dash guage does lie to you.....

20. 8valvedub Forum Member

hello mate no the car had been sat like 3 hrs ,also the dash dial takes ages getting to 90 half way on mine once it starts moving its not bad but stays at bottom for ages and when the temp on gauge read 90 cts read 74