MK4 R32 : 200 Cell Sports CATs; struggling with P0420 & P0430 codes

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60Dub, Jul 17, 2013.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

As I posted above, if you introduce an air leak (FPR hose off) the fuel trims will rise and eventually, as Eddie says it will log a fault code where the ECU cannot add anymore fuel to correct or compensate for the air leak.

G60Dub likes this.
  2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Trim values in 32 are spot on, very healthy (taken pre cat on the wide band)
    But the fault codes with just the new Cats on are the concern, I take it the original VW's are fine - no wiring post cat have been damaged? originals been back on to confirm, possible to do just one?

only time I have seen similar faults have been on cars where the Cat has been changed for cheaper replacement were looking at the volume / surface area of the Cat is clearly 1/3 of the original

is this the case with yours?

either bigger replacement Cats, or map out the post cat lambdas

G60Dub likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Indeed but the rear CMS will not be affected ( it may start counting up towards the fault on a freeze frame) to end up with a cat efficiency fault as the STFT fault will be flagged first.

Cat efficiency fault = ECU thinks dead cat or rear sensor voltage trace starting to oscillate like the feed gas sensors. Once your rear voltage which should be over say 0.7volts drops to say 0.5v the system will start to count to a diagnostic fault for cat efficiency.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I was very careful when removing the O2s from the OEM CAT - basically unplugged, CATs dropped then the cable held out at arms length and rotated in-line with the sensor so as to put as little as possible stress on the cable etc. As you say though it doesn't mean they are not damaged in some way. Will get the original CATs back on at the weekend and work from there.

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Cool. I'll get the OEM CATs back on at the weekend and the 200 cell CATs back for another pair to be welded in.

6. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Well OEM CATs are back on and not a code thrown since. ECU is now out as well and hopefully soon awaiting added Toyotecwerke

Damn its slow with the temporary 6463 ECU! :lol:

7. GVK

Yep, I drove a stock one once after driving the ex's with cams etc and it was s h i t slow.

G60Dub likes this.
  8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Don't tell me that I'll have to get it remapped now

9. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I'd agree with Gary's comment as there is a huge difference between my car running with the AMD remapped ECU n the 6463 update! It is as Gary says like night and day.

10. Toyotec

Working on a 022_CP and CN address file to the same level of detail as my AUM/AUQ/BAM files. PITA but well worth it when complete.

So called '6463' update addresses the pedal calibration and can be custom tuned anyway once the address KFPED can be identified in the definition pack.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  11. MUSHY 16V

It's funny you should say that about the pedal calibration
    That was one of the thing al said was different more aggressive than was on his Amd ECU
    Not so hand round the road works round my way or in town I guess

12. Toyotec

Pretty much like that on my wife's Bora VR5 20v and I hate it!

13. GVK

It's one of the bad points about R32s, throttle so sensitive especially when trying to drive smoothly on bumpy roads.., on the Revo code with the SPS select switch you can adjust it, on turbo cars the SPS can select timing,boost and fuel, the boost setting on the switch can be used to adjust the throttle sensitivity on the R32s.

14. MUSHY 16V

always found the 4mo not that bad it's not too not too sensitive around town
    may have to ask a few questions about this if thats ok

15. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I'm really itching to ask the 'how long is the piece of string' question Eddie as I only have access to the on loan ECU for may be another couple of weeks or so. My bad for assuming you were further on with this.

The pedal map on the 6463 certainly does seem more aggressive and there's also either an annoying throttle cut/torque limiter in the first two gears or I keep grazing the rev limiter? Either way it really is m e r d slow as Gary says.

Done it myself regularly in the past but does seem worse with the 6463 - hit a bump and off you go roaring up the street kangarooing like it's your first driving lesson with pedestrians everywhere shaking their heads and tutting. :lol:

16. GVK

Remember your remapped ECU will have had the rev lmit raised, possibly 7200rpm from stock ~6500rpm.

17. Toyotec

The pedal map requests engine torque and the vehicle OE will want this response to feel a certain way to the customer. R32s and VR5 20v (AQN) engine tend to be mapped with light TQ requests at say 10% pedal and sub 2000rpm and then larger torque demands from say 30% pedal ( where you will squeeze to if 10% does not feel right) and sub 2000rpm. This is what in my opinion does not feel right for me. Fixable though once I have a good definition made up.

18. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Well stuck in the AMD'ed ECU last night for a quck comparison... Pedal map on the AMD remap is far more linear - nearly launched myself out into traffic, definetely faster - no mistake regarding that. There's maybe also something different, although can't quite put my finger on it about WOT in 1st and maybe 2nd gear. What was very apparent and I never noticed it before - on the AMD map it's VERY noisy at idle and pull away, in comparison to the standard map. I can only assume the short runner inlet barrel on the AMD map remains closed from idle<->900RPM.

19. GVK

Might be some torque limiters coming into play on the OE cal?

Only a guess.

20. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Got the replacement CATs today - Will get them on tomorrow and report back... The car has been too quiet in their absence LOL Incidentally I decided to lay my hands on the BOSCH ME7.1.1 system strategy. Interesting read but yeah...like you both said duff CATs.

I now have a second spare ECU Eddie ;) Will be dropping off Mushys back to him on Friday hopefully