MK5 Golf TDi Long Life Servicing??

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by curlywint037, Jun 16, 2006.

1. curlywint037 New Member

Has anyone else suffered the same problem with this as me.
    I've got an '04 plate 1.9TDi and it is on the Long Life Service program.
    The service indicator first came on at 8300 miles, I took it back to the dealer and they reset the ECU and said it was an error, and to bring it in when it next came on.
    At 17500 miles it came on in july last year and it was serviced.
    I've noticed today the service indicator has come on again with 500 miles to a service, and only 8800 miles since the last one was done.
    My driving is mainly motorway, rather than short trips, I thought the average range was 10-30,000 miles or two year intervals on the long life regime.
    Anybody else had a similar experience with a Mark 5 1.9TDi?

2. oak8vgti Forum Member

sounds like they have the adaption data set wrong in the instrument cluster, take it back again explaining the problem and they should sort it out for you

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I can certainly tell you whats going on, when it was serviced they just reset the indicator my hand on the dash, it was also reset this way when it was checked over before you got it

this way in reset it to the 10K miles / 1 year (roughly), which is standard for the car.
    what should of been done when it was new & at service, was to be plugged in and set up for 20K / 2 years, each time
    its a way to common problem down to the technician, nothing to do with the car!

4. curlywint037 New Member

Longlife servicing

Thanks for your replies guys, contact the local dealer today and its booked in on Thursday at the dealers for a diagnostic. They reckon the same, as you, its programmed on the 10K regime instead of the longlife I asked for when it was new.

Cheers

5. oak8vgti Forum Member

no probs, if you had VAG.COM you could do it yourself, its dead easy lol

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

every time it's serviced it should get re programmed, any long life service regime will go back to 10K/1yr every time the comp is canceled manually

7. oak8vgti Forum Member

thats why i said use VAG.com, you can only set longlife via the diagnosis tool

8. curlywint037 New Member

LongLife, I don't think so......

Been to the dealer today for a diagnostic, they confirm it is set on longlife and yes it does need servicing as the diagnostic kit is showing 'oil quality' so it needs an oil change.
    Considering 75% of my driving is on the motorway, how come I'm getting sub 9,000 service intervals? Dealer agrees this is at least 6,000 below the norm, but can offer no explanation. It is a well cared for vehicle and driven with respect, I don't thrash it and treat it properly very rarely goes over 80mph and 3,000 rpm thro' the gears.
    How can the longlife programme require more service than the 10k/ 12month deal with longlife oil and motorway driving. I reckon my ecu is acting up, any ideas chaps??????

9. finestjammy1 In Delete Queue

I've got a 55 plate 1.9 tdi golf. I bought it from new. The service indicator came on today at 8,500 miles! It says 'service in 800 miles'. I don't call 9,300 miles long life. I spoke to the supplying dealer who said it would need a software update. With the supplier dealer being 50 miles away (I got a good deal and a free service) I asked if this could be done by any dealer. She replied "yes". Phoned local dealer who said that no update was available but the mileage is very low for a service. I'm going to clarify with the supplying dealer tomorrow.

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

funny thing is chaps I've not heard of the oil quality being checked!

when the car is checked over Perfect Delivery Inspection, the service indicator is reset (or should be) the easiest way of doing that is to reset it manually on the dash. problem being that sets up the 360day / 10K / normal oil (factory defaults)

the dash pod is now smart enough to monitor not only the mileage time, but the engine load! it adjust accordingly

the servicing and PDI should both be reset via the plug in diagnostic equipment, hasn't to say the it takes time plugging in, going though entering the correct details of car and feeding all the information when a simple click and a fiddle gets rid of the light at the same time[:x]

this is where all the dealers techs are letting the side down

11. Golfgirl Forum Member

Exactly what happened to mine!

12. curlywint037 New Member

Well I'm still not happy, I know some folks at work who've got Audi A3 & A4 TDis, Passat TDI's and they are getting between 18-25K service intervals, my nephew had an 1.9 A4TDI quattro and that' gets up to 30K between longlife services, and he drives it fairly hard.
    Is it worth a letter to VW headquarters?

13. curlywint037 New Member

Its happened again!!!

8000 miles after my last service , today the the service indicator has come on!
    I am going to take it to another dealer for them to have a look, one that has been reccommended by a guy at work who runs 2 passat TDI's, its a 90 mile round trip to Newbolds of Mansfield, has anybody else had any dealings with them, are they worth a shout? The car is out of warranty in July so time is running out for me really. I wouldn't mind but I dont thrash it at all, I would understand if it was abused.

14. oak8vgti Forum Member

its set to time and distance for sure, the service type is changed in guided functions, this changes all the settings required for longlife servicing

15. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

once again, never heard of a dodgy dash pod with this fauly, more like lazy tech

difference between starting car up (T&D service) & pluging in comp entering all the details, selecting the options and ticking the right boxes when your on the clock is amazing

must admit, I'm one of the only in our place doing it the second way-everytime!

16. curlywint037 New Member

Progress Maybe

The car is booked in on Friday at Newbolds, spoke to the Service Manager who reckons there is a software update needed for the ECU of this model. as the service indicators were coming on at 8300 miles regardless of which service program the car was set up on! He picked this up almost straight away, and was as right as rain, seems like I've found someone who might know what they are talking about at last. Will update after the dealer visit

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

makes a change lol the local dealer where i used to live rocked, they had a great parts dept too.

the ones round here seem really quite clue less

18. curlywint037 New Member

Deja Vu

8200 miles since last variable service on comes the service indicator again, this is shocking. Contacted VW today and they have asked for my cars technical data to be sent for analysis. Unhappy bunny again. 4 longlife services with 44K on the clock, this is taking the rise to me

19. altern8 Forum Junkie

what version vagcom works with the mk5 golf ?

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

this is one for the vw techs... do these cars on long life servicing seem to last as well with oil in the sump for 20k miles plus?